View Full Version : Help Michigan GO QUIET.

December 13, 2010, 02:18 PM
There is a petition you can fill out online asking the Attorney General to write an opinion as to weather a 5320.1 or 5320.4 constitute a "license" to own regulated items like suppressors in accordance to state law.

In 2005, the Attorney General wrote an opinion that the 5420.4 was indeed a de-facto license for the purposes of owning a machine gun in Michigan. The petion asks that they make a ruling regarding suppressors as well. LINK HERE (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(1224eh55rq4kvh55gvq5fz45))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-224).

SBR's and SBS's are outlawed in Michigan as a matter of law, but suppressors are legal, as long as you are licesned. The problem is, there is no such "license" for ownership available from the Federal Government, nor the State Government.

Thake a second to click and send.

Thanks all.


December 13, 2010, 06:31 PM
That is not likely to work. Contact your Representatives in the State legislature and ask them to request an opinion from the AG. If the Michigan AG is like the WA AG, they do not respond to requests for opinoins on the law except from legislators, prosecutors and the police.


December 13, 2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks RAnb.

I realize that the only way to offically get an AG opinion is to have it requested by an Officail of the State. The reason for the Petition is to show that there is public support.

This is especially true of Michigan Residents, but an email is forwarded to the Governer as well as the AG every time someone signs this petition.

It provides a little more persuasion every time they open their "IN BOX" and see a couple dozen of these sitting there.

I understand that Mr. Iott is currently in discussions with his Representative, and his local Attorney General.

Every email counts for something!

Thanks for your consideration.

December 16, 2010, 05:34 PM
but suppressors are legal, as long as you are licesned. The problem is, there is no such "license" for ownership available from the Federal Government, nor the State Government.

Maybe I should start a business - issuing licenses to Michigan residents for lawful suppressor ownership. If all you need to be is "licensed", and no mention that it has to be issued by the State or Fed, I can handle that.

January 8, 2011, 10:08 AM
Probably the only way you can get a state senator or Rep to ask the AG for an opinion is to sit down face to face with them and explain why silencers should be allowed to be owned in Michigan. Make you legislator believe in silencer ownership, and he or she may write a detailed and accurate request to the AG for an opinion on the matter.

You will need to prove to your legislator that there are very few documented silencer crimes in Michigan and the USA as a whole. I did this by writing to every sheriff's office in my state. Most of them came through with data or relative knowledge of experienced officers. You will also need to demonstrate the capabilites and limitations of silencers; for example they greatly reduce noise and protect hearing, but do not make a gun silent. A video is a good way to do this. Of course you will have to obtain footage shot legally in another state like WI. I used footage I shot for my DVD when I was on vacation in Vegas.

Get the title 2 firearm dealers and manufacturers on your side. They are the industry experts, if they are talking to the legislators, it should make an impression.

E-mails suck, letters are much better, phone calls make a good impression, but face to face meetings are the best. You need money and grass roots support; simple words but hard to get. I have spent 3 years and over $3000 (postage, plane tickets, DVD-R's, phone calls, time off from work) of my own money so far trying to get the ban on silencer use in WA overturned. I might be successful this year.


January 14, 2011, 08:06 PM
If a gun is FA can it be an SBR?

January 14, 2011, 08:41 PM
If a gun is FA can it be an SBR?

Full auto makes it a machine gun, and as such, it has no barrel length restrictions. It's still considered a machine gun, even with a short barrel. Short barrel Rifles are single shot per trigger squeeze.

January 15, 2011, 12:54 PM
I know but he said that by state law SBRs are banned so would that apply to FA.