View Full Version : J.C. Higgins stock replacement

November 22, 2010, 12:34 PM
I have a J.C. Higgins model 583.22, 20GA. The gun has a hairline crack right behind the trigger guard running back through the stock in a "U" shape, and is about 2 1/2 inches. I am taking the gun to get looked at but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to replace it. I have looked into replacing the stock before but had no luck finding any for sale. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could locate one, or have one made. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

November 22, 2010, 01:57 PM
Your JC Higging 583.22 is a private labeled High Standard Model 10.

It may be difficult finding a replacement, you will probably have to get a semi-finished stock and do the work to finish it, or pay to have it done.

November 22, 2010, 03:04 PM
I would repair a crack with glue and dowels and /or brass screws

November 23, 2010, 09:50 AM
You don't need a new stock. Any competent gunsmith and a lot of woodworkers can repair that to be stronger then new and virtually invisible. I have done many thru the years using a thin epoxy to get down into the crack and sometimes threaded brass rod for reinforcement hidden by various techniques. Here endeth the lesson. Goatwhiskers the Elder

November 23, 2010, 10:32 AM
As advised, since the gun is not high value, a repair is your wisest option. Not hard to do, you can probably do it if you have even minimal skills.
You can also keep your eyes open at gun shows. There is often someone at many shows who has many old gun stocks for sale, most very inexpensive.

November 23, 2010, 01:06 PM
How to repair a stock: