View Full Version : What do I stick in that hole? (AR-15 upper question)

November 10, 2010, 02:33 PM
I am new to rifles having only dealt with pistols and shotguns in my life. I just finished the lower on my AR project. Next, I ordered a stripped M4 upper because it was a very good deal and I want to build the entire rifle myself.

My only problem is I don't know what goes into the upper. Is it anything more than the forward assist assembly, bolt carrier group, charging handle and the ejection port cover assembly?

Thanks in advance.

November 10, 2010, 02:40 PM
Other than the stuff associated with the barrel / gas tube, possibly sights, you've got it. It's a pretty basic piece of aluminum.

November 10, 2010, 03:01 PM
What Skans said.

The barrel assembly is the hardest out of the whole process, so make sure you have all the right tools for the job: