View Full Version : Conversion for 1858 Remington to .22

October 2, 2010, 10:11 AM
I know there are conversion systems for 1858 Remingtons to .45 LC.

Is there a conversion system for converting 1858 Remingtons to .22 calibre - sure would save some $$$$ for plinking.


October 3, 2010, 10:07 PM
Well yes there is and last time I saw one it was sold by
Sportsman's Guide. It is 6 rifled inserts for a 22.
I have one of the original 22 conversions made 100 years ago for the 1858.
Cost more than an original 1858 I have-
Because of the rear of the gun, the shield area I can not load .22 LR but shorts will work and maybe longs- not sure as I have not tried it yet

October 4, 2010, 08:21 AM
I saw one on the Spertsman's Guide website to convert .45 LC to .22. It is 6 chamber inserts. However, these don't look like they'll work in a C&B revolver. So you would have to get a .45 conversion cylinder first and then get the kit. I don't see a barrel insert either. So you would have to get a different barrel as well. Is it really worth it?

October 4, 2010, 12:19 PM
oldfalguy - any chance you could post some photos of your conversion? I've never seen one and would like to see what it looks like. Thanks! :)

October 4, 2010, 05:52 PM
It is just possible that shooting blck powder and balls cast from scrap lead is even cheaper than shooting .22's...doesn't require any spare parts, either.

October 4, 2010, 07:36 PM
surbat6 - I had to chuckle at your post about shooting BP maybe being cheaper that a conversion and .22s. I'm not laughing at you . . . I'm laughing at myself! I bought a nice little Ruger Bearcat (used) this summer and about had a heart attack when I went to buy .22 cartridges! Trust me . . . it's been a long time since I bought any and when the guy told me it was roughly $45 a "brick" of 500 I nearly fell over! He finally showed me a special he had on Winchester .22 that were loose in a box of 333 for $15.95 more or less. When I was a kid, they were a heck of a lot cheaper for sure . . . but then . . . that's been about 50 years ago too! I guess it costs more now to be a kid? Like anything else, the price of things only goes one way. :D

October 12, 2010, 03:25 PM
Yep, I still get sticker shock when I'm forced to buy ammo. The price increase over the last three years is scandalous. Even the percussion caps are sky-high. I remember a tin of 100 costing around a buck.
Dang, I guess I sound like my Dad when bread went up to 75 cents a loaf.

Ideal Tool
October 13, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hello, bedbugbilly. It is interesting you brought up that little Ruger Bearcat in a Remington conversion to .22 forum. The Bearcat was my 1st. "New" gun I ever had..went in 1/2 with my sister & bought nice used one from family friend for $37.00 in 1970. Anyway, like I said interesting you brought this model up, you will probably notice it bears (no pun) a very close likeness to the Rem. 1858 New Police percussion.

Don P
October 14, 2010, 09:34 AM
I know its not possible for them. the conversions are for the change from black powder to metallic cartridges of the same caliber. In order to do what you are asking you would have to change barrels also. A 22lr out of a 38 or 45 barrel:eek::eek: not happening.

October 14, 2010, 11:06 AM
One thing I would worry about, if you get a Taylor's conversion cylinder to use the inserts, the cartridges are pointed "nosedown" to fit 6 shots into the cylinder; I would think the .22 bullet would hit the bottom of the barrel on it's way out and cause all sorts of mischief.

If you use a Kurst conversion cylinder with the inserts, it would be lined up straight with the barrel, but it would be like shooting an NAA mini-revolver with better sights and a more comfortable grip.

December 25, 2010, 09:37 PM
have never seen an original for sale, but i have seen the patents for them online and wanted to make my own.

for those that dont have one, its basically a kit consisting of a replacement cylinder for 22 rimfire cartridges, a loading gate/conversion ring, a special barrel tube that slides INTO the existing barrel and is held in place by a special locknut on each end.
seen these for all models of colt percussion revolver, peace maker, and remington revolvers.