View Full Version : What licenses, business etc is required to manufacture?

September 21, 2010, 05:31 AM
What licenses are required to manufacture Only Black powder or Muzzle Loading Replica or hunting weapons?

I've searched the internet for hours without finding anything even remotely useful.

Would it be necessary to have an FFL to manufacture Firearms even if the business was Only engaged in the manufacturing of "antique, replica, non guns"? And what about hunting weapons such as inline muzzle loading rifles?

Where and how would I go within my state for licensing? Should I just go to the State building to the Licensing area and ask the clerk for advice? What kind of permits might I need to have and what portion of my states buracracy is devoted to these questions? If no one knows, who might?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

September 21, 2010, 05:56 AM
With regard to Federal licenses, I recommend you simply call your BATFE local field office. The Federal regulations are quite straightforward and easy to understand. State license requirements are a much more difficult thing to decipher. It's impossible to give one simple answer as to where to go or who to ask as you didn't say what state you live in, and the regulations vary considerably from state to state. I suggest you contact a lawyer who specializes in firearms statutes; the NRA can provide a list for your area.

Jim Watson
September 21, 2010, 08:04 AM
Around here you would have to have at minimum a local business license and a state tax number.
I think a FFL would be worth having. It would help you get set up with wholesale accounts with suppliers and it would let you deal in powder and caps. It would put you in position to pay the excise tax charged even on muzzleloaders.

September 21, 2010, 08:14 AM
I live in Alaska.

Thank you for the advice.

September 21, 2010, 08:48 AM
I am pretty sure you do not need any special license to manufacture B/P rifle or handguns.They are not regulated by BATFE.Now if you make a cartridge gun all bets are off.
The storage of B/P has very specialized storage requirements.Special magazine with minimum distances from building and public access points.
Best info for stroring B/P will be from your local Fire Marshal.He has the specific requirement for construction materials and distances.
I do not know what regulations your city /state uses could be the Uniform Fire Code or a National Fire Protection Assoc. pamphlet.Most western states use the Uniform codes,Mechanical,Electrical,Plumbing,Building and Fire Codes.
With some local ammendments often added to address specific concerns.
B/P is explosive and smokeless is flammable thats why you see smokeless on the shelves in stores and not real B/P.
Most codes/jurisdictions have requirements for a permitting process for inherently dangerous activities.