View Full Version : Need ideas for warped grips

July 17, 2010, 08:28 AM
I am looking for anyone with ideas/experience for straightening a pair of early 3rd black plastic Woodsman grips.

The bottom of both grips has flared out slightly but there is no front to back warpage, just top to bottom.

The gun is ANIB, so it was not from overtightening. I really conclude they are just kinda cheap grips! But I would not mind getting them to lay a little flatter.

Anyway, any suggestions?

Thanks for the read, JT

July 17, 2010, 09:12 AM
If you're going to shoot it I'd buy a set of grips. Straightening the originals would mean putting them in a press of some sort for a time .

July 17, 2010, 09:50 AM
Lay on a flat surface and heat with a hair dryer. Push on them to flatten.

July 17, 2010, 07:50 PM
Might work.

Or, place them in boiling water, remove, then place a very small rod under the center of the grips and weights at the ends (such as a couple of books).

James K
July 17, 2010, 08:41 PM
A heat gun will work better than a hair dryer, but you could end up melting the grips, so take it slow and easy. I suggest putting the grip, outside down, on wood supports at the ends and a weight in the middle and heating slowly and carefully. In case that doesn't work, try www.gungrip.com for replacements.


July 17, 2010, 09:54 PM
Replace shooter with warped shooter to match grips no more problem:D

July 18, 2010, 12:39 PM
Replacements are probably the way to go.

I think I'll give the hairdryer a try first. I haven't needed one for some time now and am pretty sure I put it in the box marked '70s' along with my 8 tracks, bellbottoms and paisley cowboy shirts.

I'll take it slow and see how it goes.

Thanks all, JT

July 19, 2010, 03:37 PM
Here ya go, replacement grips for your Colt Woodsman!

July 19, 2010, 04:18 PM
Set the oven on "low", put the grips on a cookie sheet. Prop the door open. Watch closely.