View Full Version : German fortress guns please help

June 17, 2010, 01:51 PM
I am looking for the name of the Very long (10-20 feet), shoulder fired, smooth bore, large cal. .75 or more weapon the Gerry James had on one of the Guns of the World tv shows. They were used as a long range weapon in German fortresses or castles somewhere in the 15 to 17 hundreds, perhaps even the 1800's. They resemble a very long rifle or shotgun the fires a single large projectile. The length was an attempt to stabilize the projectile for longer range, a kind of smooth bore sniper shoulder weapon. What were these weapons called? Please help.

Best Wishes

Jim Watson
June 17, 2010, 02:53 PM
I have seen them called "wall guns".

June 17, 2010, 03:05 PM
Ah! And a quick google reveals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_gun

June 17, 2010, 07:18 PM
Ty Kodiakbeer, that is close, but the examples I saw on the TV show were much longer perhaps 10 feet and more. Good try and thanks for replying. They may very well be the same guns just longer examples of the same. I appreciate all replies.

June 17, 2010, 08:26 PM
I'm sure it must be a version of the gun that Jim Watson ID'd. Pretty interesting stuff.

July 7, 2010, 02:16 PM
It almost sounds like a "punt" gun. These were mounted on the bow of a boat and were used for hunting game birds. They would use shot and this would alow the hunters to take down most of the flock in one shot. I have seen these at gun shows. The barrel is like you said 10ft or longer, large smooth bore. These were the same vintage as you described. 1800`s Laws had to be passed to stop the use of these guns due to the decimation of the bird population.