PDA

View Full Version : DPMS .223

bigamehunter93
May 11, 2010, 12:25 AM
I am looking into buying a DPMS .223....the SWEET 16, the 20" barrel, or the 24" barrel. I will be using it to varmint hunt. any suggestions or comments on these 3 models of rifles?.....also, any other high-end ar-15's that are worth looking into?.......I defenitly want one with a flat top for mounting a scope...and for it to quite accurate

10-96
May 11, 2010, 02:08 AM
If it'll be a dedicated varmint rig- might as well go with the full benefit of the 24" bbl. I have one (Bushmaster Varminter) and it is definitely a varmint rig. I have a couple 16" and a 20"- and if I'm going out p-doggin with the possibility of doing much anything else I won't haul the 24". The shorter ones are just too much lighter and handier to walk around with or manage from the front of a truck, tractor, etc. The longer bbl will give you an advantage of higher velocities, but I don't know if it'll be enough to matter to the varmints. However, if you ever get into night vision for yotes and such (if it's legal in your area)- you might have a problem with the muzzle flash from a 16" screwing with you NV. The one I had kept shutting down and re-setting all of it's reticle adjustments until I put it on a 20" with a muzzle break/flash hider.
Hope that helps.

RT
May 11, 2010, 04:38 AM
If you want accurate, then look here....
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=100