PDA

View Full Version : Fresh from the CMP!

chris in va
May 10, 2010, 09:46 PM
Here is my first M1 Garand, right outside the Port Clinton store.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/487/0508001338a.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/0508001338a.jpg/)

They sold completely out of the service grades, so with the help of the CMP guys we found a field grade SA that had a good muzzle and gauged at '2' on both ends. I can't tell you guys how proud I am to have one of these.

Now for the stock...what's the best way to get it cleaned up? Not looking to refinish, just get the old oil and dirt out.

sonrider657
May 11, 2010, 07:05 AM
Congratulations! Nothing like owning a true piece of American history. And CMP prices are tough to beat. Enjoy!

Que
May 11, 2010, 08:21 AM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a CMP field grade. I have three of them and a rack grade. If you know what you are looking for and/or get the help of the CMP staff in choosing one you can walk out the door with an excellent rifle. My one rack grade measured out as well as your field grade and it was obvious that the wood brought it down into a rack grade (that was the opinion of the CMP folks). I went through every rack grade rifle at CMP South to find it. The wood cleaned up beautifully and I ended up with a great rifle. I was lucky to find it as the chances are less in finding a good rack grade. I think that a carefully chosen field grade can be the best deal going on a Garand. The key is to look beyond the wood and key in on the steel (as you obviously did) One can worry about the wood later.

As to the stock, I would first look for cartouches and other stampings and identify those areas as ones where you will be extra careful. Most of my stocks on my four Garands only required cleaning and oiling. I use a concentrated Simple Green cleaner and it does wonders. I look at dings and dents as evidence of use that I almost never erase. On one stock in particular, the rack grade that I mentioned, I did do some light sanding with 220 and 400 grit paper. I sanded it in my swimming pool and the wood puckered beautifully for sanding. With restoration to me less is more. I did buy one woodless Garand at the CMP and it sits in a CMP/Boyd stock, which is always an option. I find them to be a bit bland as I thoroughly enjoy a milsurp that shows evidence of use (not abuse).

Congrats on a fine rifle and a piece of history.

RT
May 11, 2010, 11:05 AM
Schweeeet!

billfrombyron
May 11, 2010, 11:10 AM
Dang it don't take em all before I get there!!!!!!!!! I will be there Sat after a looooonnnggg flight and drive.

Nice haul!

-Bill

Que
May 11, 2010, 12:33 PM
Just remember that the CMP is only open Wednesday through Saturday. I recently was reminded of that fact the hard way. A buddy of mine was in from out of town so I figured it would be a good opportunity to visit the South Store as he lives in Texas and I am in Metro Atlanta. So, we hopped into the car and drove the two hours to Anniston. As I drove up the road to the CMP I thought to myself "what if it's closed?". I knew that it wasn't the time of year for their inventories but something was still bothering me. As we drove up to the CMP the parking lot was full of cars. That was a relief. The problem was that when we tried to open the door to go in it was locked. The cars were employee. What had been bothering me was that it was Tuesday:mad: I've been to the CMP a half dozen times at least but I never thought about what day it was even though I know their schedule well. Probably for the best as I most assuredly would have come home with another Garand or carbine.

BTW, if you wet sand a stock the way that I did in my swimming pool (or in a tub) the wood will pucker enough that a lot of light dents will disappear with sanding. They become more visible when wet and it's easier to evaluate the condition and progress sanding. The only thing is that you have to let the stock sit a few days to dry thoroughly before applying oil. That is key.

Also, another type of "damage' to a stock that I would never remove is on one of my SA Garands, a 1944. There are eight tiny pinpoint dings on the side of the stock perfectly lined up from where someone used the stock to ram home the rounds into the enbloc clip. It's classic. I also have an SA with a small chunk out of the lower corner of an upper handguard. While I have a fresh handguard the damaged one is a keeper. It looks right.

Dave P
May 11, 2010, 01:14 PM
Nice!

Try paint thinner and some 0000 steel wool. Should clean up nicely. No damage to the wood.

Then, think about steaming out some dents.