PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Gallery 22 crown question

Renny
May 10, 2010, 07:19 AM
i am looking to buy a rossi gallery 22 pump rifle, it is a copy of a 62 winchester, it works well but i was looking at the barrel crown and it seams that the rifling ends two mm before the barrel ends leaving the crown a smooth round hole.
I have never seen this before and i am wondering if that is standard in that model or if this particular model has a machining error.
thanks for any input on this

Renny
May 11, 2010, 06:32 AM
Can you pleas look at the barrel end and look if the rifeling gos all the way to the end of the barrel?

Thanx

briandg
May 11, 2010, 09:49 AM
I believe that this is a protected crown. A hole is bored into the end of the barrel to eliminate the chance of damage to the crown.

But, it might also be a sleeved barrel. Hard to tell with finality.

oneoldsap
May 11, 2010, 01:05 PM
That's called counter bore , But damage to the crown will still have the same effect as if it weren't counter bored . It's all about the gasses escaping evenly . That's stone age technology

Claddagh
May 12, 2010, 10:12 AM
I presently own two of these, one with a round barrel and one octagonal. I have owned at least five others over the years. None of them displayed this sort of thing.

I suppose it is possible that a particular model might've been deliberately manufactured that way, but I've never seen nor heard of any Rossi M62 so configured.

Without photographs, it would be pretty much impossible to make a reasoned guess about the matter. IMHO, the most likely thing is that it is due to a manufacturing fault or damage from repeated, improper cleaning technique.

I may be wrong but, lacking convincing evidence to the contrary, that would be my personal assessment were I the prospective purchaser.

Renny
May 14, 2010, 05:27 PM
Thanx Claddagh

I don't think that it is damaged from cleaning, it looks more like a manufacturing fault to me. i will try to post a picture on Monday.
Since you have such rifles, how is accuracy? This one shoots 3,5" groups
at 50 meters with the open sights. i thing the bad accuracy might be because of the crown

Claddagh
May 16, 2010, 09:45 AM
Other than for the initial sight adjustments when I first bought them, I seldom use them on paper targets.

To the best of my recollection, from a solid bench rest it's not particularly difficult to keep all the rds. inside of the '9' ring of a standard NRA Smallbore rifle target out to 50 yrds. with the brands of ammo they most favor when I do my part correctly. The rifles may well be capable of doing better, but as this is about the best I can expect to deliver anymore using open iron sights and my now bifocal-clad eyes with most any rifle, I'm satisfied that if I miss something it's most likely my fault.

They're primarily used for "plinking" and as tools for training youngsters in the basics of marksmanship and firearms safety. They are still highly favored by my younger nieces and nephews for our trips to the range. I have occasionally used them for small game hunting and pest control too, where they've served me quite well.