PDA

View Full Version : AR-10 type rifle

Kyote
May 8, 2010, 10:04 PM
In the market for an AR-10 style rifle. I have $1300.00 in funds to play with. Which company will give me the best bang for my buck? Looking at the Armalite, but I want the best for the least (doesn't everyone?).

Thanks in advance!

DnPRK
May 8, 2010, 10:48 PM
DPMS LR-308. PMags are $20. C Products mags are $18.

Armalite mags are $150 for five mags.

Doc Intrepid
May 8, 2010, 10:53 PM
Worth considering, depending on what you want the rifle for, whether you reload, etc.:

http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/autoloading-model-r-25.aspx

Word is that DPMS is actually manufacturing the rifles for Remington, but I have no citation for that.

I do know that the R-25 in .308 I own is an accurate little shooter, and I in fact use it for hunting. I got it on sale right around your price point.

FWIW.

SVO
May 9, 2010, 12:02 AM
American Rifleman had a article covering the then "new" Remington R25 model. According to AR, Bushmaster was building the R25's for Remington, as well as the R15 models. Given that Remington/Bushmaster/DPMS is owned by Cerberus (or however it's spelled), probably doesn't matter one way or another.

The C Product 19 round mags work well in my R25 also.

Come and take it.
May 9, 2010, 08:34 AM
So all three use the stoner magazine type?

velocette
May 9, 2010, 08:55 AM
DPMS is making the R25 rifle for Remington.
For a lot of information about the large frame AR rifles such as DPMS or Armalite, you can go to this forums sister site.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=121

Beware at that site, There are some very sensitive folks residing there that get quite worked up when you call any non Armalite rifle an AR 10. (Armalites trade marked name for their large frame rifle)

As a side note, my DPMS LR 308B is extremely accurate (sub moa) and has so far (over 1500 rounds) been totally reliable. I could ask for no more.

Roger

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/RogerS_photo/Fire%20arms%202010/firearms41410043-1.jpg

rrp
May 9, 2010, 12:45 PM
My DPMS is a beautiful rifle that shoots outstanding. The only downside with mine, were the mags. They both jammed on the next to the last round every time I used them. I have since bought Pmags and have not had a single misload. DPMS said they would fix the problem if I sent them the mags, but I have heard that all they do is send a different pair of mags and that they will do the same thing. I haven't got around to returning them yet.

velocette
May 9, 2010, 06:48 PM
RRP any of the mags need to be massaged a bit to insure good feeding.
first thing to do is to dis-assemble them, deburr the follower by removing the casting flash and little sprue tabs.
Then deburr the feed lips and top edges of the magazine body, chamfer the cartridge side of the forward top of the mag body, Bevel and round the rear side of the little tabs at the top forward part of the mag body. Basically, remove sharp edges everywhere you find them. Lubricate the mag body, inside and out, follower and spring with a dry lubricant. Re- assemble & enjoy. Total time per mag, less than 20 minutes.

Roger

geetarman
May 9, 2010, 10:20 PM
I have a DPMS LR308 with the detachable carry handle. Took the sights off and put an Eotech 552 on it. Stock trigger is kind of gritty. I will probably put a Timney in it. Had problems with 4 magazines that were a DPMS sale special.

I returned them for exchange and the replacements have functioned fine.

No problems other than the magazine issue and that has been fixed.

Kyote
May 11, 2010, 09:52 AM
No mention of the AR-10, intresting. Why not?

shawnt97
May 11, 2010, 01:15 PM
I have a DPMS TAC-20. It's a .308 with 20" h-bar, removeable carry handle and free floated, picatinny hand rails. I did research on AR and M1As for about 6 months, going back and forth on my decisions. Price was a big factor and I got the DPMS for $1200. Absolutely no regrets. Because of price of ammo and going to Afghanistan for a year, I've only put 300 rounds and so far no failures to feed. It seems to like 150gr bullets. I have some 168gr Hornadys loaded and plan to test them next time out.
I highly recomend any DPMS .308 AR. One thing I have to mention is that shortly after buying mine I started saving for an AR15 because of ammo prices. Especially since all I really shoot at is paper. The M1A is still on my "To Buy" list. Hopefully by the end of this year, I'll be able to give a comparison.

flight954
May 11, 2010, 01:49 PM
I just got a Rock River LAR-8 and I'm very impressed. It take FAL mags.

JDTech
May 11, 2010, 03:26 PM
I also chose to go with DPMS after doing research for a year or so based on ratings, price and availability of cheap mags. Also Armalite does not offer a 24" barrel. So far I love it!

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59543&d=1273005891

Kyote
May 12, 2010, 01:51 PM
Armalite was the original, why are they so far behind in the the polls?:confused:

DnPRK
May 12, 2010, 09:23 PM
Armalite was the original, why are they so far behind in the the polls?
A: Expensive rifle, expensive proprietary magazines, and they don't shoot any better than other 308 ARs.