PDA

View Full Version : Marlin going out of business.

turboman
May 6, 2010, 10:54 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned this. Don't know what chapter (bankruptcy) it is but it's about a year away. They are surrending back to their owner, another gun manufacturer. Forgot if their parent was Remington or Winchester. It's one of the major companies.

I was surprised when I read it, and who the parent company was. Wonder if it's in Bridgeport, CN. :eek:

Crankylove
May 6, 2010, 10:56 PM
What info makes you think they are going under?

.300 Weatherby Mag
May 6, 2010, 11:00 PM
They are moving... Not going out of business... This has been covered...

hoghunting
May 6, 2010, 11:01 PM
It has been mentioned and Marlin is not going out of business or filing bankruptcy. They are in a mostly anti-gun state and also having to deal with unions. Marlin will be moving operations, not closing.

turboman
May 6, 2010, 11:05 PM
Just checked Google. Remington bought out Marlin in 2007. Marlin's future is unknown because of the high costs of moving specialized tooling, taxes, and higher labor cost where they are. (New Haven, CT?)

It said employees would be given a severance package and assistance in finding a new job.

OttoJara
May 6, 2010, 11:19 PM
Isn't Marlin owned by H&R in New Haven Ct.? I have catalogs from Marlin that talks about how H&R owns Marlin or was it the other way around?:confused:

OttoJara
May 6, 2010, 11:48 PM
Madison, NC –The Freedom Group, Inc., announced the closure of its Marlin manufacturing facility, located in North Haven, Connecticut. The transition of Marlin firearms production in North Haven to a future site will not affect customers’ shipments or the range of Marlin product offerings. At the time of last Thursday’s announcement, the Freedom Group was still evaluating several relocation options and will announce the future production site of Marlin firearms when the final decision is made.

“As competition in today’s global marketplace remains intense, consolidation of our manufacturing processes and operating systems allow us to provide Marlin customers with the highest quality products at competitive prices,” said Ted Torbeck, Freedom Group’s Chief Executive Officer. “We are committed to the Marlin brand, its core product offerings and bringing innovative new Marlin firearms to our customers.”

This is from the Marlin web site.

Willie D
May 7, 2010, 12:14 AM
They are in a mostly anti-gun state and also having to deal with unions. Marlin will be moving operations, not closing.

It's really more about redundant capacity than anything else. They can make Marlins at the Kentucky Remington plant, sell the CT real estate, and lay off workers.

It's really kind of a shame. Marlin was a perfectly viable company, was bought out, real people lost their jobs, and now "Marlin" will exist as a different stamp on a Remington product.

DPris
May 7, 2010, 12:30 AM
Machinery was worn & quality has been on a slump for the past while.
It's unfortunate that employees lost jobs, but Marlin is far from gone, and with new investment money going into the new location, I'm hoping for a better quality product once things are up to speed.

It's not all gloom & doom.

Denis

RockyMtnTactical
May 7, 2010, 12:57 AM
Scared me for a second. I still haven't picked up a Marlin 30-30 yet.

hammie
May 7, 2010, 02:12 AM
Mr. Rockymtn: If you see your marlin 336 in .30 WCF, you might want to pick it up. Maybe there's a later announcement, but my last recollection is that the freedon group has not picked a manufacturing site and all options were being considered, including off shore manufacture. Given the amount of new capital and lead times for starting up a manufacturing facility, that could easily transform into a long interval between now and new marlins hitting the shelf, or possibly never. I know the owners claim that there will be no interruption in products, but it doesn't seem possible. In my area, model 39's and 1894's have been scarce for a long time. The problem is that the number of hunters is slowly declining and they all have sufficient rifles and shotguns, which don't wear out. It seems that market may be saturated and the only one left is the hobbyist's and collector's market. I don't know if that can sustain the industry. In any case, I just hope that I am being unduly pessimistic and wrong.

RockyMtnTactical
May 7, 2010, 02:23 AM
Yeah, I don't see many round here either...

troy_mclure
May 7, 2010, 02:50 AM
im guessing that marlin will be "parted out" amongst various freedom group plants.

DPris
May 7, 2010, 10:33 AM
I've talked to a Remington/Marlin marketing rep, off-shoreing has not been mentioned at all.
Most likely location is Illion, there's room. Announcement expected any day now.
No indication manufacturing will be "parted out".

Denis

DMK
May 7, 2010, 11:40 AM
Geeze people. Good Marlin levers are hard enough to find. You have to throw rumors around and make it worse?

You post a story like this, back it up with a link. Don't spread gunshop FUD.

N.H. Yankee
May 7, 2010, 05:39 PM
Maybe if they were smart they'd move to N.H., we already have Ruger and T/C arms here and like everywhere else we could use the Jobs. We are right up the road, HELLO MARLIN ARE YOU LISTENING I have land for sale!:D

johnwilliamson062
May 7, 2010, 05:48 PM
In my area, model 39's and 1894's have been scarce for a long time. The problem is that the number of hunters is slowly declining and they all have sufficient rifles and shotguns, which don't wear out. It seems that market may be saturated and the only one left is the hobbyist's and collector's market
Given the number of collectors with 100+ guns I think the market for firearms isn't dropping at all.
I hardly know anyone with one gun now, which wasn't true two years ago. Everyone has 3-4.

.300 Weatherby Mag
May 7, 2010, 06:02 PM
My local shop has new Marlins on the racks, including:

39A
Various Guide Guns including the SBL
XLR of various calibers

TXGunNut
May 7, 2010, 10:21 PM
Kindly post the location of my new second home, 300WbyMag. ;)

.300 Weatherby Mag
May 8, 2010, 12:17 AM
Kindly post the location of my new second home, 300WbyMag.

Murietta, Kommiefornia... The shop is great, everything else sucks... I think that many people do not live near shops which are full line dealers and can actually get this stuff almost at will now...

T. O'Heir
May 8, 2010, 01:09 AM
"...Isn't Marlin owned by H&R..." Nope. Marlin bought H&R then were themselves bought by Remington.

LafeHubert
May 9, 2010, 12:32 AM
.300 Weatherby Mag >>Murietta, Kommiefornia... The shop is great, everything else sucks... I think that many people do not live near shops which are full line dealers and can actually get this stuff almost at will now...<<

You don't happen to go and visit Rancho Cordova G&A by any chance? :)

mapsjanhere
May 9, 2010, 08:00 AM
They are in a mostly anti-gun state and also having to deal with unions.
That's why they're moving to NY, no gun restrictions or unions there.

Slugthrower
May 9, 2010, 12:57 PM
The whole she bang is under the "Freedom Group" though that is merely a cover name for the actual holders of quite a few firearms companies. Honestly the particular company involved doesn't inspire supreme confidence in the future of the firearms manufacturers under their control. I am talking about none other than Cerberus. They did a real number on Chrysler and a few other companies. If they are not careful they will do a number to the following: Bushmaster, Remington, Marlin, H&R, NEF, DPMS and a few others like Barnes Bullets, EOTAC, L.C. Smith, Dakota Arms, etc. under their control. Is the recent problem with Remington quality a symptom? How about the ridiculous price for the RemMaster ACR. 3K for rifle that is mostly plastic, heavier than a typical piston driven AR, and has lessened features as compared to the original Mag Pul design? Think that they might not consider just letting Marlin wither on the vine? Not too sure they wouldn't. Although that remains to be seen.

Personally I don't think the idea of having all these eggs in the same basket called Cerberus bodes too well if the economy decides to take another little dip. If they were to say... need a bailout like their last car company, who then assumes control? I am quite sure we don't want the the Feds to have more control of this particular sector in private industry...

http://www.bloggingbuyouts.com/category/cerberus-capital/

Well enough of that. Suppose if any industry can turn a decent profit at this time it will be in firearms. Could be the whole bet that the 3 headed hell hound is counting on. ;)

johnwilliamson062
May 9, 2010, 01:38 PM
They did a real number on Chrysler
Chrysler was positioned in a niche market. Over powered, oversized, near muscle car sedans and other gas guzzling classic American favorites. The move started well before gas prices went really crazy and seemed to be working well until they did. It was also started before 2007 when Cerberus took control. I wouldn't want to bet on gas prices, but Chrysler was in a bad spot and it wasn't that bad of a bet and the products they introduced were a great bet.
I don't think Cerberus could have done much between 2007 and 2009 to change the course of the company.

I am not a big fan of Freedom Arms and how they are buying up American firearms brands like crazy, but to be truthful none of the brands bought, except marlin, seemed on all that great of path to begin before Cerberus.

I wouldn't be surprised if marlin turns into Remington's version of Savage's Stevens.

DPris
May 9, 2010, 05:00 PM
Remington rep says Cerberus has already put more money into Remington that its four previous owners did. The Illion plant has been much upgraded.
The previous Marlin owners had not put much into the plant in recent years, the move to a new location (with capital investment & new machinery) should be a benefit in Marlin quality.

Cerberus execs are also getting involved directly with Remington & they ARE shooters, not just soulless board members looking to siphon off the money & run.

I really would not give up on Marlin quite yet.

Denis

Slugthrower
May 9, 2010, 06:14 PM
Definitely some valid points in Freedom Group's favor. Certainly hope they can and do help out the companies under their umbrella. Really like quite a few of the offerings from several of them and especially Marlin.

whitefish
May 10, 2010, 08:27 AM
Machinery was worn & quality has been on a slump for the past while.

Any idea when quality started to really decline? There is a 336 in 35 Remington I have my eye on that has sat on the shelf for 4 to 5 years at a local gun shop. May have to snag that one.

Some recent review of Model 39A's have not been good - poor quality, broken extractors, etc.

Already have a 1952 Model 336A in 30-30. Guess that will one will be a keeper :D

DPris
May 10, 2010, 10:34 AM
I can't give you a date, but the .410 shotgun I have here that's recent has the worst wood fit I've yet seen.
Just look over any candidate from the past three or four years carefully for the wood to metal fit, smooth bolt operation, overall machining & finish.
An older .35 Rem should be fine.
Denis