PDA

View Full Version : winchester wildcat quiet

odielite
May 5, 2010, 11:38 PM
I was at the range today and a guy had what he said and looked like a bbl winchester wildcat. As he began shooting i noticed the lack of noice it was producing. He said it wasn't suppressed but it was real quiet like quieter than some pellet guns. Does anyone have any experience with this. I am wondering because there are alot of pesky critters around my house and i live in the neighborhood that the houses are close together and my pellet gun just doesn't seem to do the job farther than 15 yards.

mete
May 6, 2010, 02:51 AM
All you need is subsonic 22LR. But if you have houses close maybe you shouldn't be shooting !

300magman
May 6, 2010, 08:03 AM
I don't know if you mean the ammo or the rifle of that name...but I've shot both and neither are any quieter than any other similar ammo or rifle.

I have noticed some target guns can be quieter than normal, a guy at my range has a 27" SUPER heavy barrel on his .22 (which is also bedded into a heavy hardwood stock) and that thing makes a dull "plushhh" rather than the typically sharp crack of a 22lr.

As for subsonic ammo, I've tried 2 brands, in my .22s (pretty ordinary guns, some light barrels, some heavy barrels 18-22") they are not noticeably quieter than average ammo....a bit yes...but enough to make a real difference, No.
FYI they listed 1080fps...there may be slower ammo out there that is quieter, I have heard of shells that list 40gr at 600fps, but I have never gotten my hands on any to try it.

psyfly
May 6, 2010, 03:55 PM
Could have been powderless .22 cartridges with so-called "hot" primers such as Aguila Super Colibri .22s.

They are very quiet but can be effective.

Out of my Marlin model 60 they sound like a loud cap-gun. (They will not cycle the action, each one has to be hand-cycled).

Out of my Winchester 62A they are almost completely silent.

Be careful when using them on several counts:

1.) They can be effective; I haven't clocked them but I killed two four-foot long rattlesnakes with them a couple of weeks ago (one shot to the head for each) using the Winchester 62A. Frankly, they seem to practically demonstrate more power than indicated by the advertised ballistics (20gr. @ 500fps for 11 ft/lbs.). When sighting them, the bullet went all the way through several (date expired) canned goods. They will make a hole in you.

2.) The box clearly states not to shoot them in a rifle of any kind as they can fail to make it all the way out of the bbl (I've never seen this happen, but...).

3.) I tried to shoot one through another semi-auto rifle and had to disassemble the rifle and destroy the cartridge to get it out when it failed to feed.

4.) They appear to offer no noise advantage in a revolver and almost none in a semi-auto.

I get mine at a local pawn shop in West Texas; they are not carried in local gun shops or sporting goods stores that I know about. Several online stores advertise them but they are usually out of stock.

Best,

Will