PDA

View Full Version : Is the Marlin 795 the best bet for Appleseed?

Idempotent
May 5, 2010, 06:30 PM
My dad and I are planning on putting together twin rifles for a local rimfire Appleseed event. What we have specced out so far (for each of us) is a Marlin 795 with tech sights (http://www.tech-sights.com/marlin.htm) and Turner AWS sling (http://prostores3.megawebservers.com/turnersling_com/-strse-5/National-Match-Service-Rifle/Detail.bok), and some extra magazines. The total cost, after $25 Marlin 795 mail-in rebate that's going all year round, works out to about $260 per rifle .. or just a little bit over what we could get a stock Ruger 10/22 for.

Note that we'll be getting use out of the slings on other rifles as well, so you can possibly take that out of the $260 as it's not specific to the rifle.

So, is this our best plan of action? We don't want to spend that much money on it -- we're basically just looking for decent accurate autoloader 22 rifles.

Oh, and one question: I'm interested in, at some point in the future, getting a scope for this Marlin 795 for range work at 100 yards. Would that coexist peacefully with the tech sights, or would I have to take the tech sights off to put the scope on? Thanks.

chris in va
May 5, 2010, 08:47 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work fine. TechSights is definitely a must.

Couple things though, make absolutely sure the guns work. Put more than a few down the pipe before you go. Last thing you need is unreliability.

Second, sight it in at 25 yards. I can't tell you how many people didn't have their various guns sighted. Find an ammo type that will give you the greatest accuracy, not just what's cheap.

I hate to ask though, is it really worth spending $520 on a couple guns just for Appleseed? Do you plan to actually use these on a regular basis afterward?

Idempotent
May 5, 2010, 09:10 PM
Absolutely I plan to use mine on a regular basis afterwards. The only other .22 rifle I have is a Remington 512. It's old (from 1962) and I don't plan on making any modifications to it. Among other things, it lacks: a detachable magazine, sights that are adjustable for windage (the sights are kind of skewed right now), scope mounting holes, and sling studs.

So, yeah, I definitely want a .22 rifle with aperture sights, and down the line, a scope.