PDA

View Full Version : Why no skeet as targets on the rifle range?

Dr. Strangelove
May 4, 2010, 03:39 PM
My club prohibits skeet as targets on the rifle range, as well as anything else other than paper targets or metal.

We can bring our own steel targets if we like, but at a recent meeting, the club president just pitched a fit about folks shooting at skeet as targets. It didn't strike me to ask why not, as the thought had never even occured to me.

So anyway, who cares? Is it the mess? I just don't see the problem.

Carryabigstick
May 4, 2010, 03:41 PM
It must just be a mess or something. Maybe on the shotgun range, people do not have to walk out into the field. On the rifle range people do have walk out to put up targets and stuff. It would not really bother me though and I think they would be fun even if a bit expensive.

johnwilliamson062
May 4, 2010, 04:34 PM
Are they walking barefoot?
Are they using the clubs skeet without paying for them?
At my club the trap shooters will walk around the field at the end of the day and pick up alot of the extra clays and stack them up for plinkers to shoot.

wogpotter
May 4, 2010, 04:51 PM
It "EFFED up" the grass mower at the range I attend so it was banned. The blades were badly nicked & some fragments got into other spots & caused damage, unexpected, but expensive to fix.

Dr. Strangelove
May 4, 2010, 04:56 PM
What do they mow the skeet field with? Our club uses the same mower for the skeet fields, pistol range, and rifle range.

Bud Helms
May 4, 2010, 05:00 PM
Yup. It's considered litter at my range. Clay pidgeons on the shotgun portion of the range only. Paper on the rifle & pistol ranges. The shotgun range gets swept with a landscaping rake behind a tractor every few months or weeks as need determines.

We have a rule that says, "Take your targets with you when you leave the range." That doesn't prohibit the use of clay pidgeons, but the pile of rubble left behind has generated a specific rule that they are not welcome any where off the shotgun range. And the shards can penetrate soft-soled shoes. It also is dangerous when the grass gets cut: little tiny brittle missiles going everywhere. Beside the fact that they are just an ugly mess.

Shotgunning usually disintegrates them and misses go off into the trees where no one shoots r walks, but the pile of shards left at the foot of a rifle target holder is very inconsiderate of the next guy. And they never get picked up.

oneounceload
May 4, 2010, 06:02 PM
First things first - clay pigeons are not "skeets". SKEET is the name of a particular shooting game using clay targets.

Many places do not like the rubble from broken targets - when launched through the ejection port of a mower can present a hazard. Standard clay targets are a hazard to porcine livestock. They DO eventually decompose and I would rather have them broken at the range versus glass objects

Old Grump
May 4, 2010, 06:13 PM
Volunteers mow using their own equipment. It wouldn't be bad if people picked up after themselves but many carried trash out to shoot and only a few of us went out to pick it up. Members using their own machines, their time when they would rather have been shooting and their gas were rightfully upset about the trash shooters.

They were pretty liberal about what I and a few of my shooting buddies brought out to shoot but part of my range equipment is a large plastic trash bag. When I stopped going there the next two years the range was pretty trashy till they got new officers and new blood. Range looks a lot better now but no more ad hoc targets. Can't blame them but it sure takes away a lot of the fun of shooting unconventional targets.

Dr. Strangelove
May 4, 2010, 07:23 PM
I think we aren't allowed to shoot at SKEET (call 'em what you want, brother, but they're SKEET at my club!:)) for several reasons, mostly what everyone has posted above.

We have no "porcine livestock", and the range has been there for close to 50 years, so I can't imagine environmental concerns are the issue at this point.

We have rolling golf ball shoots and all kinds of other competitions, so I think it's the trash issue, plus once you allow one kind of target other than paper or steel, you are on the slippery slope to people shooting TV's, microwaves, etc.

Additionally, the club is split shot-gunners vs rifle/pistol shooters and the club president is a shotgunner who seems determined to make life tough for the rifle range. Most everyone shoots pistols, but for whatever reason, the avid rifle guys don't shoot shotgun and vice-versa.

Anyhow, thanks for the answers.

TXGunNut
May 4, 2010, 07:35 PM
Another possible answer in addition to the aesthetics is insurance rules. At least one company prohibits shooting at objects on the ground. Even clay targets on the berm may violate this rule.

Dr. Strangelove
May 4, 2010, 07:44 PM
Thought about that, but we do rolling golf ball shoots sponsored by the club, members are encouraged to bring their own steel targets, the little ones that are pretty much sit right on the ground are fine.

johnwilliamson062
May 4, 2010, 07:47 PM
You must put them on the berm OR have them somehow elevated at my club. This is not a written rule regarding clays, but anyone not doing this would be told to as it falls under general target rules.

benzy2
May 4, 2010, 08:39 PM
It seems somewhat normal to me. First you have the issue of shooting at the ground. Second, they are tar based and will last basically forever. Add in the issue of people having to walk over them and any damage they may cause a standard mower and it doesn't seem completely unfair. The range I shoot at allows it, but they allow basically anything as long as you clean up after yourself. The range is locked with only members having access to facilities. It works out pretty well as membership is regulated if a situation comes up. Still if the rule were paper and steel only I can understand their point of view.

Fat White Boy
May 4, 2010, 11:08 PM
I shoot at Burro Canyon here in Southern Cal. Clay targets are O.K.

Sport45
May 5, 2010, 01:02 AM
IMHO, they really aren't very good rifle targets anyway unless children are shooting. At 50 yards or so it's not hard to hit something that size with a rifle and you only get one or two hits before it looses it's value as a target. At ranges far enough to make them a challenge you'd get tired of walking out to place single-use targets in a hurry. They were allowed at the range I used when my boys were younger, but they outgrew shooting at the clay targets quickly.

Skans
May 5, 2010, 08:11 AM
IMHO, they really aren't very good rifle targets anyway ....

Semi-auto, perhaps not...but in full auto, they are fun as heck. Line a bunch of the clays up on the berm and let 'er rip!!:D

O6nop
May 5, 2010, 08:03 PM
If you are in a 'club', then I assume you have officers, they have meetings and the membership would have general meetings. I'd ask there. Otherwise, a letter to the president asking the reason should get you an answer.

At our club, clay pigeons are acceptable at the pistol rangel. We don't have a skeet range. Steel targets are very limited. We have to provide our own frames for paper targets. The range provides stands that accept 1x2s and they can be held together with cardboard backers stapled to them, like IDPA/USPSA target frames.
Shooting anything on the ground is not allowed, unless it's on the berm, half way up or so. We do have steel rails for placing silhouettes during club competitions, but during 'open' shooting times, shooters use the rails to hold paper targets and consequently blow holes in the rails with their AK rounds.

44 AMP
May 5, 2010, 08:06 PM
Maybe they have hogs?

Rembrandt
May 5, 2010, 08:24 PM
You would think southern states plagued by hogs would use clay targets as rodent control.;)