PDA

View Full Version : Howa varmit

Rcinit
May 3, 2010, 10:33 PM
Looking for opinions on Howa bull barrel varmit rifles, with or without thumbhole stock. I'm primarly looking at the 22-250 or .243 caliber guns. How accurate, whats the quality like. Anybody reload for them?

Scorch
May 4, 2010, 04:16 AM
Howa rifles are some of the most accurate production rifles available, the bull barrel ones included.

overland
May 4, 2010, 06:05 AM
I recently acquired a Howa Varmint Heavy Barrel in the 223. Very accurate. Well made with a smooth action. I got it for $600 and was a bargain.

Rcinit
May 4, 2010, 09:04 AM
Accurate, with factory loads or hand loads? I'll be hand loading myself and I'm intreasted in how deep the bullets are set. I know every rifle is different but manufactures do have trends.

overland
May 4, 2010, 12:59 PM
Just factory loads so far - remington, black hills, and nosler match grade

NWCP
May 4, 2010, 01:36 PM
Howa makes the Vanguard for Wheatherby. They make a good rifle, just a bit on the heavy side. I've been contemplating a Vanguard in 25-06 and as a result have been looking at the Howa. If CZ made a 25-06 I'd have it in my safe today. So far no joy. I think the 25-06 would be the next progression for me rather than the 22.250, or .243. It would fill the void between my .223s and .308s nicely. Not to mention it is a flat shooting varmint/predator/deer rifle. It would mean me getting into reloading though. That may not be a bad thing, just something I would have to make the room and storage for.That's in inherently a bad thing, just another expense. :D

Rcinit
May 4, 2010, 05:13 PM
I was looking mainly at 22-250 or .243. However now that you mention 25-06, it sounds like a good option. Reloading becomes an addiction too! lol If you shoot alot it worth the investment in the equipment. If you don't shoot alot then it's not. You also have to like to tinker, so to speak. I don't save any money because I reload. I just ended up shooting more.