PDA

View Full Version : ar15 buffer & spring??

zombieslayer
May 3, 2010, 07:20 PM
I have an M&P15ps and just ordered an extra heavy buffer spring to help with the few "full battery issues" I've had. Anyone have any experience with these?? I didn't find any reviews, but figured I'd try it out. Also, what buffer would yall recommend?? I figured I'd go ahead and try just the spring first. Any info appreciated, thanks

riverwalker76
May 3, 2010, 07:29 PM
The buffer and spring work in unison. You need both parts.

I had a problem where my AR wouldn't reach Full Battery on the second round. The heavier buffer and spring helped it. I got a Blue Sprinco Spring and an H2 buffer from BCM and that fixed my problem.

At the bottom of this post is an excellent article about what the buffer and spring do for your AR variant.

Here is a good quote from the article .....

Fouling in the M4 is not the problem. The problem is weak springs (buffer and extractor), as well as light buffer weights (H vs. H2 or H3). With the abovementioned drop-in parts, the M4 is as reliable as any weapon I have ever fired, and I have fired probably every military-issue assault rifle fielded worldwide in the last 60 years as a Special Forces Weapons Sergeant (18B).

http://www.defensereview.com/the-big-m4-myth-fouling-caused-by-the-direct-impingement-gas-system-makes-the-m4-unreliable/

zombieslayer
May 3, 2010, 07:56 PM
So with the exra heavy spring, do I want an h2 or h3?? Thanks

riverwalker76
May 3, 2010, 09:41 PM
I'd go H2. H3 is too heavy for my tastes, and is mainly used in AR15 pistols that are 14" or shorter. H3 isn't necessary, and is actually an uncommon weight. You will not be able to tell the difference between an H2 an H3 as far as the results in a 16" rifle, and the H2 is cheaper. ;)

What makes them pricier as you step up is the use of heavier tungsten weights in the H2 & H3.

Don't let the Sprinco guy talk you into a 'Red' Spring. You want the 'Blue' Spring. The red is for carbine OR regular length buttstocks. Anything more than the Blue is overkill.

While you're at it ... you might as well pay another $2 and get the extractor spring that goes with the Blue Spring Kit. Don't worry about a Crane O-Ring. You won't be able to tell the difference with or without it in civilian use. If you need help putting in the new springs PM me and I will help you out. It's a piece of cake.

Here's what I did to clarify ....

I ordered my Blue Spring Kit w/ Extractor Spring from Sprinco MFG.

Then I ordered my H2 buffer from Bravo Company USA (BCM for short).

Here are the links....

Sprinco Kit ....
http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html You want item # 25008 on that page.

Bravo Company Buffer ....

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Stock-Parts-s/75.htm You want H2 Carbine Buffer down the page

zombieslayer
May 3, 2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the help sir! Heavy spring and h2 buffer are on the way. I appreciate it.

riverwalker76
May 3, 2010, 09:51 PM
Edited my post while you were typing. Sorry. ;)

DnPRK
May 3, 2010, 10:54 PM
Lube your bolt carrier group until it is drippy wet during break in. Once the rough parkerizing is worn off the bolt/bolt carrier and rough anodizing worn off inside the upper receiver, you can reduce the lube to normal levels. A dab of grease on the rear of the bolt lugs doesn't hurt either.

zombieslayer
May 3, 2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks a million riverwalker, you even posted the links. Nice! Think I'm gonna get the blue spring instead of the Brownells extra heavy. I also agree that lotsa lube is good, especially at break-in. I've never been so liberal with gun oil in my life till this ar. It seems to like lube and use. Thanks again guys

riverwalker76
May 3, 2010, 11:48 PM
With the Sprinco kit they send you a little bottle of Machine Gunner's Lube. A little goes a long way. I only use 3 drops on my BCG after cleaning, and it lasts.

Also, I've found that soaking your BCG in Automatic Transmission fluid overnight after firing a few hundred rounds works really well. It gets down in every nook and cranny and the detergent in it pulls the crud out.

Shhh ... it's an old Marine Corps trick. ;)