PDA

View Full Version : My first AK47 shooting... ouch

spacecoast
May 3, 2010, 08:47 AM
A shooting buddy of mine has a Chinese-made AK47 and we shot it yesterday... sorry I don't have any details other than it shoots 7.62x39 (I believe) ammo and has a very lightly toned, almost orange-blond stock. The gun overall seems to be very small for the round it shoots, and the buttstock is small and rock hard where it contacts the shooter. My shoulder is feeling it today after 10 rounds and I'm kinda glad he only loaded up 10 for me.

What options are there for easing the recoil of that rifle? New buttstock, padding for the existing one? Any recommendations from you owners?

jmorris
May 3, 2010, 08:52 AM
I never thought of the AK as much of a kicker but recoil pads can be put on anything...

Beentown71
May 3, 2010, 09:14 AM
I never thought of my AK to be much of a "kicker". Simms labs recoil pad works great for other rifles I have.

Beentown

Red_Eagle
May 3, 2010, 09:17 AM
You can buy a recoil buffer for it. I just ordered one for my romanian. It's not so much thr round that kicks. It's actually kind of a pip sqeak. It's the bolt/piston assembly that gets you.

SR420
May 3, 2010, 09:45 AM
The 7.62 AK is not much of a "kicker", but a Vltor extension tube and a SOPMOD butt stock from LMT will make it more comfortable.

ndking1126
May 3, 2010, 10:29 AM
I know on my bolt action -06 (which does have reasonable kick) I can shoot 20 rds and be fine and sometimes I can shoot 8 rds and be bruised up. Took me a few outings to realize it was position on my shoulder.

That might be something for you to look into.

P99AS9
May 3, 2010, 10:33 AM
From my experiences with both semi and FA AK's, they don't kick much. Maybe you just weren't holding it properly. That happened to me the first time I shot a 10 gauge. I didn't hold it right and it almost tore my arm off :eek:

azredhawk44
May 3, 2010, 10:37 AM
The gun overall seems to be very small for the round it shoots, and the buttstock is small and rock hard where it contacts the shooter. My shoulder is feeling it today after 10 rounds and I'm kinda glad he only loaded up 10 for me.

What options are there for easing the recoil of that rifle? New buttstock, padding for the existing one? Any recommendations from you owners?

You're not holding the rifle correctly.

I know on my bolt action -06 (which does have reasonable kick) I can shoot 20 rds and be fine and sometimes I can shoot 8 rds and be bruised up. Took me a few outings to realize it was position on my shoulder.

You figured it out, sounds like.

Pull back on the pistolgrip, using your fingers, so that the buttstock is firm against your shoulder.

What's happening right now, is you are holding the rifle similar to how you might hold a handgun. It's a shortcoming a LOT of people have with AR's, AK's and other guns with pistol grips on them. The buttstock is hovering just slightly away from your shoulder. When the recoil kicks in, the gun pistons back and slaps your shoulder. If it were already touching your shoulder firmly, it would just push your torso backwards slightly and wouldn't hurt you at all.

Brace your body firmly against the rifle. Buttstock in your shoulder pocket, trigger hand pulling back on the grip to keep it there. Good consistent cheek weld on the stock.

spacecoast
May 3, 2010, 10:49 AM
No doubt I have a LOT to learn about rifles.

When we went to shoot my Remington 12-gauge, the Range Officer showed my son and I how to hold it more against our chests inside the shoulder seam than against our shoulders. That worked out great from a standing position, and we weren't too worried about cheek welds and hitting something farther away than 15 yards.

I take it from your description that the rifle stock should be held firmly against the shoulder in a line straight up from the bicep. I think I had it inside that point, more at the junction of shoulder and chest and in contact with my collar bone, at least that's the spot that is tender today. Maybe it was just too high on my shoulder. My shooting buddy is an experienced rifle guy, but he was looking at the targets more than me, so he probably didn't catch the position of the stock on my shoulder.

Thanks for the tip.

ndking1126
May 3, 2010, 11:38 AM
and in contact with my collar bone

If you mean the buttstock was in contact with your collar bone, then you had the rifle too high on your shoulder. I fiound if I put the buttstock in the softpart between my shoulder and my pec muscle, it hurt like the devil when I shoot the -06 because there is nothing solid to absorb the shock. If I pull it in towards the center of my body a little and the buttstock is being supported by my pec muscle, it is not painful at all. The entire torso is absorbing the recoil at that point. I've shot all my life and been "formally" trained by the Army to shoot the m16, but I don't recall ever being told exactly where to put the butt stock on my shoulder.. I just had to figure out what works and what doesn't.

But don't worry about it.. next time out I'm sure you'll be fine!

raftman
May 3, 2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah, if you hold it correctly, even the notoriously hard-kicking M44 isn't really so bad.

noyes
May 3, 2010, 11:57 AM
AK butt pad adds stock lenght 1" or 2"

1"

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/PADAKA02.aspx

2"

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/padaka03.aspx

stubbicatt
May 3, 2010, 11:59 AM
There is a pocket that forms inside the ball of your shoulder, beneath the clavicle. If you extend your arm out to the side, palm down towards the deck, and take your left fingertips and feel around in that area, you will discover the pocket.

Standing place the toe of the stock in the pocket, from other supported positions, kneeling, seating, or prone, place the heel of the stock in the pocket. Pull it in snug and all is well. :)

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/stubbicatt/50BMG.jpg

MagnumWill
May 3, 2010, 03:08 PM
I'm in agreement with shoulder position. When I shot my new M44 (Never shot a rifle before) I did 40 rounds out of it and the 91/30 I had- I was holding the gun WAAAY too tight on my shoulder. It was so bruised the next day, I could hardly lift my arm. Now after practice I know where to hold it - we went shooting about 6 months ago, and I put almost 80 rounds through the Mosins, 10 rounds of full-power buck out of my 12-gauge, and about 60 rounds of target loads out of the 12 as well, and my shoulder was practically fine, the skin was just barely a little yellow underneath.

And yes, shoulder stock + collarbone = ouch. :rolleyes:

gotigers
May 3, 2010, 03:25 PM
Man up.

Skans
May 3, 2010, 04:09 PM
The stock on the AK is short. If you are 5'9" or taller, most likely it's shorter than what you'd normally shoot. So, you might not have it tight against your shoulder. Also, the 7.62x39 round isn't that wimpy!

Webleymkv
May 3, 2010, 04:28 PM
As has been mentioned, the AK series usually have rather short stocks and many average-to-large people find them to be uncomfortable because of this. The reason that AK stocks are so short is that the Russians envisioned them to be used by soldiers wearing heavy winter parkas and/or body armor. The length of pull can be lengthened by either adding a recoil pad or replacing the butt stock. Many companies sell "NATO length" buttstocks for AK's which typically adds 1-2" to the length of pull.

kaylorinhi
May 3, 2010, 04:42 PM
Get aggresive with it, if you are shooting a longrange match you ahve to use the whole bone support thing but for reactive shooting use your muscles and lean you body into it let your mass absurb and defuse the recoil! Check out most of the CQB type video's on you tube and you can get a general idea of the stance I am recommending.

spacecoast
May 3, 2010, 07:14 PM
If you are 5'9" or taller

Yes, I'm 6-1 and fairly lean

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/PADAKA02.aspx

Thanks! I'll have to get one of these and throw it in my range bag.

chris in va
May 3, 2010, 09:04 PM
Please. Everyone knows it's meant to be fired from the hip. ;)