PDA

View Full Version : M&P 15

jon62781
May 2, 2010, 06:57 PM
I am looking at buying an AR 15, mostly for recreational shooting, no competition.

Basically, I like the S&W. However, I'm having a difficult time deciding between the A2 and the Optics ready.

For what I plan on doing with the gun, I'm not sure a scope would be necessary. Also, I've never purchased a scope before, but I'm sure the 200 savings in the optics ready version would be quickly eaten up.

Any suggestions?

Also, I've read these guns are very dependable. Any dispute?

zombieslayer
May 2, 2010, 08:07 PM
I have an M&P with the piston- I like it. It has had some failures to feed. In 350 rounds of Federal bulk, with 3 different mags, I got 3 cartridges that bent badly at the neck, but its worked itself out. 300 rds now and I'm happy. I got the flat top version and an eotech 512 on the way. Oh- and 5 free Pmags!!!

RT
May 2, 2010, 08:55 PM
Get the removable carry handle version and after you become a master of the iron sights you can easily remove the handle and put on a LaRue scope mount. At least that's what I would do.

GalilARM
May 2, 2010, 09:02 PM
I dont care for those 'optics ready' rifles.....

I want ALL my guns to come equipped with iron sights, and I consider optics to just be bonus

Get the flattop rail version with front and rear iron sights, throw on an EOTech or Aimpoint and grab a few PMags and youll be set

SW isnt the best AR out there, but for your needs, its a good buy

TXGunNut
May 2, 2010, 09:12 PM
Mine has the removable handle as well, no plans for scoping it though. Very reliable and seems to be quite accurate with PMC promo ammo and the Federal carry loads. No malfunctions to date and trigger is pretty decent, maybe even good. No free mags but I have plenty left over from my last AR.

arizona98tj
May 2, 2010, 09:26 PM
I have a M&P 15OR. I'm glad I got it as the last thing I needed was an unused carry handle taking up good space in the spare parts box. ;)

I'm in my mid-50s.....and I don't try to kid myself nor anyone else about my eyesight being as good as it as some 45 years ago when I got my first rifle. All of my rifles have optics on them. Missing your shots because you can't clearly see the target isn't all its cracked up to be. :D

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/mp15/mp15-1.jpg