PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Model 60 gouging cases

catzor
May 2, 2010, 05:56 PM
My marlin is having some issues. If I load 10 or so in the tube mag, it runs great. If I load up fully, it won't cycle properly. After firing, the bolt slides back(usually ejecting the shell properly), and comes forward, picking up a case (Case A) as it should.

This is where things get weird. The bottom of the bolt gouges the next case (Case B) in the tube. There are two scratches on the round, one a 11 o'clock and one a 1 o'clock. The scratches usually start at or just below the case mouth and ride all the way up the bullet until it tapers off. This will rob the bolt of its momentum and cause the bolt not to close. Is this a feed angle issue? Something on the bolt out of spec? The part that really leaves me scratching my head it how it will only jam if the mag is full or nearly full. Otherwise, the scratches are present, just less pronounced and do not affect function(but probably accuracy :mad:). Any ideas?

ndking1126
May 2, 2010, 07:09 PM
Not a gunsmith, but long time hobby-ist. My first thought is if it's most pronounce when the rifle was loaded full/almost full, it might have something to do with the spring pressure from the piece that slides down the tube.

More details would be good... is this a new rifle? Old faithful for 15 years and only just started? Have you recently dissambled it? Does it only happen on certain .22lr brands?

catzor
May 2, 2010, 07:16 PM
Its a new to me rifle. I bought it at a gun show a few months back. It was made in the late 90s, so it's not too old or anything. I've had less than a brick through it and, to be honest, I don't think there has ever been much ammo through it. When I got it, the think was REALLY clean on the inside, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those dad-to-son gifts that ends up collecting dust. The dealer didn't give me a round count or anything.

All I've shot through it is federal lead RN, so I can't help there. I would be really surprised if that's the issue. I've got some viper .22lr around though, so I'll try that this weekend.

catzor
May 3, 2010, 12:24 PM
Bump for my inability to hit jack s*** at 100 yards with gouged bullets.

ndking1126
May 3, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'll do my best to get my marlin out after dinner tonight and take a look at what could possibly be causing it.

2500ak
May 3, 2010, 04:34 PM
My best guesses are the feedramp being fouled or tweaked, the mag spring, or the ejector spring. Might also see if the breechbolt guide-rod isn't bent.

Radar
May 3, 2010, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't run the Viper's-they'll hammer your action and are very dirty.
Get some CCI ammo and see how it runs.

catzor
May 3, 2010, 05:48 PM
I picked up three boxes of stingers at WM today, so that should help eliminate the ammo issue.

Just for clarification's sake, it's definitely not the round entering the chamber that is causing issues, it's something between the next round waiting to be fed and the bottom of the bolt. Feed angle seems likely, so maybe the equivalent of the "feed lips" are bent or otherwise out of spec. I like the suggestion about the mag spring, but by these symptoms, I'd be inclined to say that the spring would be too strong, not too weak, which seems unlikely. I wish I had the damn thing in front of me. Keep the ideas/suggestions coming.

Shooting 12"+ groups at 100 yards is absolutely useless. :(

ndking1126
May 3, 2010, 05:57 PM
Alright. Nothing jumped out at me as the likely culprit. My first guess is either something is bent/dinged internally (like the bottom of the bolt carrier) or there is a foreign object. Granted the marks seem to consistent to be foreign.

Either way, here is a picture of the inside of mine. Sorry the quality isn't great. Don't know if you've pulled yours apart yet, but if nothing else it will give you something to compare yours to.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_S_ljeZsvWEU/S99Tr_qlwgI/AAAAAAAAAHA/Jf_tLqLGksg/s640/marlin%2060.jpg

I would recommend you pull the bolt back some so you can see behind the orange knob sticking out of the feed tube. The part that is covered up may be your culprit.

Keep us updated.. good luck.

Goatwhiskers
May 3, 2010, 05:58 PM
The problem is most likely the feed throat. Not extremely difficult to change if you have some mechanical ability. Check with Numrich gun parts as certain serial number ranges require changing the lifter, lifter spring, and the bolt in addition to the throat. Costs may seem a little high but much cheaper than buying a new gun, and fun to get an old friend running again. Goatwhiskers the Elder

Kawabuggy
May 4, 2010, 09:49 AM
I'm confused... If the bolt is in the rear position, and a round is waiting to be fed, then that round is sitting on the feed lever.. Is THIS the round that is being damaged?

The confusion comes from this: The bottom of the bolt gouges the next case (Case B) in the tube. There are two scratches on the round, one a 11 o'clock and one a 1 o'clock. The scratches usually start at or just below the case mouth and ride all the way up the bullet until it tapers off.

The next case in the tube-to use your wording "case B"- can't possibly be getting damaged because the majority of that bullet is still inside the feed tube with only the rim portion of the round being visible sticking out of the tube.

To be blount, I'm not sure which round you are indicating is having the issue.

Before I did anything else, I'd try some different ammo as has been suggested and see where that lands you. The Remington Golden Bullet (lead round-nose) are the only bullets I've ever put in my Marlin Model 60 that jammed it up about every other shot.. Once I dropped those bullets, it will digest anything I throw at it without problem.

catzor
May 4, 2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah I see what you're saying. I don't have the rifle in front of me (I'm at college), so when I go home this weekend, I'll check it out in detail. I was just trying to recall from memory, but I guess a precise examination is in order.