PDA

View Full Version : Newb Question

fsfty
May 1, 2010, 12:05 PM
I've only shot my .270 x-bolt a few times, and each time i went, I was shooting nearly in the same spot on each trip to the range; I didn't need to tinker at all with the scope. Today I went to the range and I was shooting an inch high. I was shooting tight groups, but i can't figure out why I needed to adjust the scope a few clicks. Everything is tight, and the scope mounts have 4 screws each instead of the normal 2. I've only been shooting a short time, so is it likely me? Maybe I was doing something a little different on this trip as far as my eye and aim, or muscle memory (or lack thereof). Any suggestions? Thanks.

fsfty
May 1, 2010, 12:06 PM
Oh, Im using the same ammo on each trip...thanks.

fsfty
May 1, 2010, 02:54 PM
bump:)

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
May 1, 2010, 06:13 PM
fsfty,

Bit short on info here, so this is only a guess or a number of them.

Is it a wood stock? If so, and it is not floated, it could be a moisture thing causing the stock to put pressure on the barrel.

Also, if not floated it could be the position on which the forearm is rested.

Once was rock chuck hunting with my oldest son. He was shooting a heavy barrel rifle in 6mm, which normally shot quite well.

That day the rifle was shooting quite high, enough that the chucks and other ground critters were safe.

The problem ------ he had attached a bi-pod to the front sling swivel and the stock to barrel contact changed enought to change the point of impact.

Got home and the rifle got floated. Last time for that problem!

Could be the temp. Cooler, possibly lower pressure at firing, warmer possibly higher pressure. The temp would probably need to change a great deal for this to be an issue.

Feed us some more info, and someone will surely come up with something.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol" coot

fsfty
May 1, 2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had been shooting in temperature ranges of 40 to 60 degrees, but today it was almost 90. In doing some research, ballistics are effected by temperature, notably, the "drop" is much more pronounced in cooler temperatures. I guess thats why I was shooting a little high. Thanks for you help...I believe you were correct when you mentioned temperature.

Red_Eagle
May 1, 2010, 09:22 PM
High temps will cause your rounds to hit high, especially with ball powder. If it was winchester ammo it was likely ball.

fsfty
May 1, 2010, 09:56 PM
correct again...winchester ammo. Just glad my scope wasn't dancing on me. Thank you for all your help.