PDA

View Full Version : Which new Savage 10 stock

bamaranger
May 1, 2010, 03:37 AM
I have a Savage scout that I am much fond of, one of the earlier rifles w/ no accu-trigger and the round/flat short action.

But the boxy, flimsy factory synthetic stock is terrible. I can warp the forearm easily by hand, and torque it significantly when looped up in a shooting sling.

I notice the new savage synthetic stocks are much more substantial, and have a better feel, but they have the round/round action.

What aftermarket stock should I look at that would be trim and light, befitting a scout/carbine, but stiff and strong for accuracy and heavy use?

The stock needs to be short action and have the round/flat old receiver profile. Some sort of camo or spider web would be a nice touch, but not essential.

taylorce1
May 1, 2010, 07:42 AM
I don't think you can look to any of the newer style Savage stocks. IIRC your screw spacing will be different from current offereings. You will need to measure your screw spacing and then order the correct after market stock. Check out Stocky's Stocks or Midway USA for synthetic stocks. If you arent' dead set on a sytnthetic then look at some laminate stocks, with some effort with a file and sandpaper you can whittle them down prett far and still have a rigid stock.

jmr40
May 1, 2010, 08:06 AM
A McMillan is regarded as probably the best if you want light weight and strength. A standard stock will weigh around 32oz, maybe less but cost around $440. The McMillan Edge ultralite stocks will weigh around 26-27oz, but cost around $520. If you want to spend the money there are none better. www.mcmfamily.com

The H-S precision stocks are good as well. A little heavier, but a little less expensive as well. Expect to pay around $360 for a 36-38 oz stock. www.hsprecision.com

I've not had good luck with them but a lot of people like the Bell and Carlson. I've never got one that fit from the factory. They needed major work and the rifles shot worse with them than before. I've heard a lot of similar complaints, but others have been pleased with them. I guess they are capable of building a good stock it just seems their quality is inconsistent. Give them a look at www.bellandcarlson.com

www.boydsgunstocks.com makes a good laminated stock for under $100. I've never heard anything bad about them. The laminated stocks are just plain too heavy for me in a hunting rifle. You may like them just fine.

bamaranger
May 5, 2010, 01:28 AM
The Scots-Irish in me balks at paying more for a stock than I did for the rifle.
Optics, yeah, I'll spend it, but a stock......don't think so.

The rifle shoots great, but the boxy, flimsy stock is an abomination. Have ou ever heard of anybody glassing the forearm in w/ a rod of some sort, to add stiffness?

Don't really want to make the rifle heavier (as in laminated), as that's contrary to the Scout concept.

taylorce1
May 5, 2010, 06:45 AM
Use a dremel tool and open up the forearm for at least one carbon fiber arrow shaft and bed it into place. Make sure it can either go under the recoil lug or on either side of it to stiffen up the stock. I'd use the smallest diameter arrow shaft I could to remove the least amount of stock material.

GeauxTide
May 5, 2010, 06:49 AM
Boyd's

Bigjfb
May 5, 2010, 10:17 AM
A few years ago I bought a Bell and Carlson from Midway for my 22-250 , a little under $100

I had to do a little tweaking, but it is still a very decent stock for the $$$

TRguy
May 5, 2010, 11:00 AM
Savage will replace it, new production even matching your 2nd gen screw placement (Maybe 1st), Should be much stiffer than your current stock. Typically about $115 shipped

Just have your serial # when you call and they will match it up right away.

(413) 568-7001 for parts and service (have your serial number and credit card available)

http://www.savagearms.com/customerservice/contact/

Jimro
May 5, 2010, 03:42 PM
Bamaranger,

I've done the bed an arrow shaft into the stock of a tupperware savage, it sort of works...

Better choice is to get a Bell and Carson.

Jimro

jmr40
May 5, 2010, 03:51 PM
After re-reading this thread I believe you have one of the stocks where the mag release buttons are on the sides of the stock. If so, I doubt if you will ever find an aftermarket stock that bolts onto the rifle. You are probably looking at having a stockmaker make major modifications anyway.

Your best bet is probably to leave it as is, or try the carbon arrow trick.

bamaranger
May 6, 2010, 01:12 AM
Yes, my Savage Scout has a detachable box mag w/ the button on the side.
Hadn't thought about that.

I will call Savage. I had a very good experience w/ them tweaking the rifle when I first got it and returned same a bit dissatisfied w/ some minor issues. Who knows? A new type stock, but made to fit my short action, mag type rifle, and round/flat receiver would be a treat. Not holding my breath though. I'll keep you guys posted.

I've got plenty of carbon fiber arrows around for a plan B.