PDA

View Full Version : Choosing an AR- HBAR-Elite??

Topaz
April 30, 2010, 03:00 PM
Ok so for various reasons I'm looking into the AR market and want accuracy,first and foremost. I am somewhat overwhelmed with choices. I want a quality rifle/scope as a finished product that will handle 60 gr bullets or thereabouts as my manual doesn't list loads for a 60- just 55+63.
I'm handy but don't really want to get into the building of a rifle as I live in the middle of no-where and getting parts, fitting, gunsmithing that some take for granted is a major pain-in -the-rear for me. I've done just enough checking to become dangerous and am leaning towards the colt hbar elite but would like to hear opinions from those with experience in this rifle or it's equivalent. I like the flat-top for a scope mount and the 24" barrel is fine as I have no Rambo inclinations- well maybe a little but I keep them in check.
I will handload for this rifle and shooting sessions will be relatively brief between maintenance and cleaning. The barrel in question is a 1-9, no option here that I can see without switching models, which weight of bullet will this favor?? This will be a very heavy rifle as soon as the scope is attached. I am ok with this. It is also quite pricey so I don't want to regret choosing the wrong options. What kind of accuracy can I reasonably expect from this set-up- I'm used to Rem 700 bolts on my hunting rifles for a comparison basis. I can consistantly get 1-1/2" groups at 200 with them and this is without any obsessing on the handloading will an Ar be in this league??
Thanks so much for any help.

DnPRK
April 30, 2010, 03:21 PM
If you have a workbench with a sturdy vise, you can build your own AR-15. Its not rocket science. The only unique tools are the upper receiver vise block and the barrel nut wrench that can be found for less than $100. All other tools are common and not unique to the AR-15 - punches, screw driver, adjustable crescent wrench, small hammer, and maybe allen wrenches. All the really difficult stuff, like setting headspace, is done by the barrel manufacturer when they install and pin the barrel extension. When you build you own rifle, you get what you want, not what someone else wants you to buy.

A flat top with 1 in 9" twist will do well. 1 in 9 will stabilize bullets weighing from 45 to 69 grains. Some 1:9 barrels have been known to stabilize bullets up to 75 grains.

I have found several things that improve accuracy:

A good trigger. There are many good drop-in aftermarket triggers.
Decent optics. It is difficult to hit what you cannot see.
A free floated handguard or rail. Without it, you risk changing barrel harmonics between shots.
Decent ammo. Do not expect the cheap stuff to shoot small groups.