PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have a wife that says this...

Irish80prf
April 29, 2010, 04:22 PM
I was telling her the next gun I NEED to get is a lever action in .38/.357 so I can load for it and my ruger security six and she just looks at me and says...

"Looks like all your other guns....A gun is a gun." I just looked at her and go REALLY.

Does anyone else have a significant other out there that just looks at you with a blank stare when your talking about guns of any kind.

That's probably what I look like when she talks about scrapbooking or shoes. Oh well it just made me laugh when she said it. At least she didn't say No to the purchase.

rickdavis81
April 29, 2010, 04:26 PM
I find it's easier not to mention about needing/wanting another gun to the old lady. I think we have a don't ask don't tell policy, or at least I do.

kraigwy
April 29, 2010, 04:33 PM
My wife is about as tollerant as you can get. She never says anything about my buying guns, in fact she encourages it.

Example, years ago I bought some rafle tickets to win a Ruger #1 in 220 Swift. Didnt win of course.

Two days later she comes back from town with a new Ruger #1 in 204. She apploigized for getting the 204 (that was when they first came out), but she said she remember me showing her the American Rifleman story about the new 204 and I thought I might like it better then the swift, (which I did).

I doubt anyone could come up with a wife as supportive as mine when it comes to guns.

Not only that, she makes the best fried chicken in the country.

uncyboo
April 29, 2010, 04:37 PM
Use the "gun is a gun" to your favor. She will never know when a new one is added because, "you know how it is, they all look the same".... :D:D:D

Teirst
April 29, 2010, 04:39 PM
so far my wife has been supportive of everything i have tried.

$200 for a new RC helicopter? go for it
$50 in parts after i crashed it? no problem
$75 for a simulator so i crash less? sounds like a good idea
$150 for an RC plane cause i like it better? if that's what you want

$1000 to build a new computer? sounds like a plan
$300 for a new gpu? ok

$400 for a new carb on my truck? ok

I have asked several times to buy a new TV and she has never said no, though i have yet to buy one.

The only time she ever argues with me buying anything is when I try and get things for her. (new sewing machine, stand mixer, washer/dryer, etc.)

I have asked her about it and her response is always "You manage the money, and if we can afford it I say go for it."

I'm a lucky man :cool:

mapsjanhere
April 29, 2010, 05:03 PM
My wife hated guns. Then I got her a lever action 357, now I can't go to the gun range alone anymore, she always wants to tag along. She's added a .22 and a .223 to her collection already (but I'm allowed to borrow those).

RT
April 29, 2010, 05:27 PM
My wife loves the Garand and the FAL. She thinks they're "sexy".

cbrabham
April 29, 2010, 05:31 PM
My wife is a pistol shooter, and frowns upon most of my rifle expenditures.

But then I found a NIB Marlin 1894 in 32-20, and she fell in love with that one. Later, she said she liked the AR15, too.

She still hates my Marlin 1895CB and most of my other high-powered rifles.

I recently ordered a stainless steel Savage bolt gun in .243 from the custom shop that has a laminated thumbhole stock and a 24" sporter barrel. - I think she will like it, but not so much that she tries to take it over as she did with the little 32-20 lever gun. - It's kind of heavy.

Years before we got together, I watched her ace the combat pistol course at the Dallas gun club. - She still prefers the 1911 over everything else.

Kind Regards, cbrabham

NooYawkuh
April 29, 2010, 06:36 PM
Around the time of the start of the recent political upheaval, my wife said to me "Maybe we should get a gun". She didn't have to say it twice. I went to a gun shop (alone) and came home with an All-Weather Mini-14 Ranch.

That's a mistake I won't make again.

Since then, I've been trying to make amends by promising her a .22 with a pink stock. She's coming around, but it's a delicate situation. It's a process.

publius
April 29, 2010, 07:37 PM
RT, your wife has great taste, the Garand & Fal are sexy.

DiscoRacing
April 29, 2010, 07:39 PM
She says all mine look alike... which works great when i buy a new one... when she asks if it is a new one.. i just tell her thats the one i have had for years...she says oh ok.

shortround60
April 29, 2010, 07:42 PM
My little lady got a .380 pistol for Christmas one year and was hooked. She then bought me RIA 1911 for our anniversary, then a Bushmaster Carbine for Fathers Day. She loves to go to the range whenever we get a chance so she can shoot anything she can get her little bitty hands on.

brmfan
April 29, 2010, 07:46 PM
My wife and I have a long standing and simple agreement. For each new gun I get, she gets a new piece of jewelry! It's worked out well so far since she lets me get whatever I want :D

mrawesome22
April 29, 2010, 07:52 PM
When I get a gun, the wife gets something she wants. Seems fair to me. Except what she wants is usually MUCH cheaper.

kaylorinhi
April 29, 2010, 07:54 PM
I have a Girl Friend who I thought was cool! She does have the potential to evolve as for as most of your Ladies have, her favorite gun to shoot is my DPMS and she makes cornbread so I will keep her around for awhile! She likes my Kimber but has not shoot very many handguns so her exp. is limited. She has only disagreed in reference to timeline and the money but has never said no, even to my hair-brained ideas like a Clearing Barrel beside the front porch, havn't found a cheap 55 gal drum yet:cool:. She also agreed that having a bullet trap for her Cricket, V-Day present, is a good idea in order to prevent the lead from seeping into our well water, man I just realized how truely cool she is, I should go tell her...

She said "Um Thank You??" with an inquizitive stare!!

3StrikesNC
April 29, 2010, 07:55 PM
This past Christmas,...

Her - "Is there anything you'd like?"
Me - "Yeah, maybe a S.A. N.M. M1a, Creedmoor Shooting Coat, Glove, PACT Chrono. Doesn't really matter, any of them would be nice!".

Fast forward to Christmas day -
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/6045gcnc/P0004009.jpg
Sorry, no pics of the PACT, Creedmoor LEATHER Shooting Coat, Open Finger Glove. I just took a pic of the National Match Springfield! :D

Prior special events have included significant others, including a Marlin .444, S&W .460 XVR, Kimber .45 ACP, Walther PPK/S, Crimson Trace goodies, just to name a few. :p

Yeah, she's a keeper.

GrailKnight
April 29, 2010, 07:56 PM
My wife has been with me since my military days and enjoys her firearms
as much as I do. We go to the range quite a bit and she is quite handy with
various weapons. Needless to say I love my wife.:D

3StrikesNC
April 29, 2010, 08:01 PM
Yeah, my wife likes to go to the Range with me once in while. She likes to stay up on her ccw, but she insists on driving HER car ....
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/6045gcnc/P00036191.jpg

But sometimes a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do! :cool:

Irish80prf
April 29, 2010, 08:16 PM
It sounds like everyone has really cool wives as well. She usually just lets me get whatever I want, I think she realizes it is easier then listening to me obsess over it for months. So I think the .357 rifle will have to be added sometime when I feel like it's been long enough since my last gun purchase.

Palmetto-Pride
April 29, 2010, 08:36 PM
She says all mine look alike... which works great when i buy a new one... when she asks if it is a new one.. i just tell her thats the one i have had for years...she says oh ok.

This is how I get away with so much, but I think she is starting to catch on. Last time she looked in my safe she says "You didn't have that many guns when we first meet" Yea I did my brother had that one I just got it back from him.

Lavid2002
April 29, 2010, 08:41 PM
Any mods on that cobra?? With a couple exhaust upgrades that thing could SCREAM!....and I hate mustangs : |

Credit where credit is due though.

dondavis3
April 29, 2010, 08:53 PM
Naw - not at all.

My wife loves shooting and guns -:)

My only problem is she might swipe one of mine :D

:cool:

wmeSha
April 29, 2010, 10:17 PM
I think the quote was something like, "It shoots bullets like all the rest doesn't it?"

FrankenMauser
April 29, 2010, 11:34 PM
I was telling her the next gun I NEED to get is a lever action in .38/.357 so I can load for it and my ruger security six and she just looks at me and says...

"Looks like all your other guns....A gun is a gun."

Mine used to be the same. I got the "You're a moron, trying to waste our money" look.

It took 2 years of constant training, but I finally got her to understand that each rifle(or pistol)/cartridge/stock/magazine/sight/action combination has a different purpose, and is only somewhat usable for other purposes.

The straw that lit the camel's back on fire, and got her to understand ... Was me telling her I would buy her a .22 rifle. We spent over a month fondling various brands, action types, and chamberings (.22 LR, .17 HM2, .22 WMR, .17 HMR).

I explained and helped her understand the pros and cons of everything from thumbhole stocks, to laminate stocks, to bolt actions, to detachable magazines, to various cartridge chamberings, to scope mounts, etc...

Finally, she settled on a 10/22. As we were waiting for the BCI check to come back, she quietly said, "I can see now, why you have so many, and want more. Everything really does kind of have one specific use. ..But don't let that go to your head."

Yesterday, she told me I could buy a gun if I did the dishes. I love her....

OJ
April 29, 2010, 11:54 PM
I have the world's greatest wife and I'm the luckiest guy in the world. This is what she got me for our 25th anniversary five years ago -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/AWINCHESTER95-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/IMG_1494_edited-1.jpg

Well - OK - so I did help her find it - we husbands are obligated to help our wives any way we can - ;)

Sarge
April 29, 2010, 11:59 PM
Odd you should mention this... Late last summer I bought a nice, used Puma Trapper in .45 Colt (http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2010/01/few-updates-on-rossi-model-92-these-are.html). The sights on these are often problematic and I was about to send it downriver when the wifey says "Try some different sights, I kinda like that thing!" 'OK Honey'- and so I did.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x187/SargeMO/Peg92.jpg

Now I'm out a rifle, a set of sights and significant numbers of my .45 reloads.

I ain't hollerin', though. I already replaced it.

Irish80prf
April 30, 2010, 01:12 AM
Sarge you don't happen to know John Linebaugh by any chance do you. I just noticed that you were from MO. I saw in your link that you posted you were using some of his loads.

Sarge
April 30, 2010, 09:09 AM
Don't know John Linebaugh personally, Irish, as in "fishin' buddies" but I've spoken with him on the phone & bought a Bisley cylinder from him. After 30+ years of loading 44 Mags & 45 Colts, I can say that I find nothing in Linebaugh's writings to really disagree with.

Irish80prf
April 30, 2010, 09:31 AM
I actually live about 2 blocks from his Mom and Dad. Visit with them pretty often. I know Johns brother and nephew as well, good people. I've never had the pleasure of meeting John but my brother, who lived next door to Johns parents for 10 yrs has met him on several occasions. My brother got to see Johns first gun he ever made when he was a lot younger. Not your typical pistol.

GAR700
April 30, 2010, 09:39 AM
Newly married but my wife insisted on keeping our finances separate. She is supportive of my gun habit and is slowly catching the gun bug herself. She calls them "investments". She also told me she wants to wait to have kids so we can afford a boat.
I keep waiting for the other boot to sneak out of nowhere and kick me square in the throat, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe I really do have it that good... I will keep my fingers crossed

GAR

beardenbc
April 30, 2010, 09:54 AM
My wife hates guns.:(
She did a tour in Iraq as an Army medic, and she says she hates them because she's seen what they do to people.

She tolerates my collection.

Firepower!
April 30, 2010, 09:58 AM
It beats me why this thread is in this section. :barf:

mathman
April 30, 2010, 10:01 AM
I recently bought my wife a baby grand piano...I figure this allows me to buy at least a few guns and ammo...right??? :D

Irish80prf
April 30, 2010, 10:02 AM
Where should it be general discussion? My original post was about getting a Marlin or Rossi .38/357 rifle and what my wife said about it. I thought is was related close enough to rifles to put it here. If it needs to be move that's fine. I guess I never mentioned what brands I was looking at in my op.

RichardWA
April 30, 2010, 10:05 AM
My wife won't shoot any guns but She likes looking at them:confused:. And on my birthday or Christmas she ususally buys me one. Except on my birthday a couple years ago, that year She bought me a new Toyota pick-up.:D
I know, I am a spoiled, lucky guy!:)

Noonan
April 30, 2010, 11:06 AM
then remind her that, unlike shoes, the value of a gun doesn't depreciate.

OJ
April 30, 2010, 11:07 AM
My wife hates guns.
She did a tour in Iraq as an Army medic, and she says she hates them because she's seen what they do to people.

How does she feel about automobiles???

beardenbc
April 30, 2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah yeah, I know the automobile argument. Thing is, she saw some pretty messed up **** over there. She was a medic afterall.

She's nice enough to respect my view and tolerate my collection of guns and my shooting hobby, so I'm going to respect her view and not push the issue on her. We agreed to disagree on guns. I've still got all of them, and I can still buy more in the future. I haven't really lost anything, I just stopped arguing with her about it.

famine
April 30, 2010, 12:41 PM
My wife's familly actually got me into guns, her big hangup is that the gun needs a purpose. 12Ga set up for deer, 12Ga for skeet, 22 for plinking, ect... Kind of hard to come up with new uses but she does consider part kits worthwhile, the rule of the house is that I can't get a new one until i'm done with putting together the current one. It got a lot easier once she got involed in more than just hunting. We actually have a del-ton on order for her.

NWCP
April 30, 2010, 01:32 PM
My wife has never looked in the gun safe. She enjoys shooting, but wouldn't understand the way guns reproduce on their own when stored in a safe. :rolleyes: I've never had to get permission from the Mrs to purchase a firearm. We eat well, have a nice roof over our heads and money in the bank. My purchases have never taken priority over responsibilities so the collection keeps growing. That's a good thing. :D

FyredUp
April 30, 2010, 01:59 PM
My fiancee is a gun person. Perhaps not as into it as I am but the first Chrsitmas we were together she had talked about wanting a pistol. To be specific she wanted a Beretta U22 NEOS. Well she had known that I wanted a 1911 .45ACP so she went with me to the gun store and I picked out the one I wanted and turned to her and said your turn. She gave me a shocked look and I said pick out your NEOS. So she did...It shocked the hell out of her but she loves that pistol...truth be known she loves the 1911 too.

She is a pretty decent shot. I drew a silhouette target on some carboard with a heart, lungs, brain and to be funny I drew genitals on it. I said 2 in the left lung, bang, bang, right on. 2 in the right lung, bang, bang right on. I said 2 in the heart and she goes bang, bang and shoots the silhoutte right in the nuts. Then she laughs...I might not stop somebody if I shoot them in the chest but if I shoot them in the nuts they will stop for sure!! I laughed but was a little uneasy after that!!

She has been with me 3 years now and I have added several more guns, she likes them all but has her favorites. Her only comments are if you have the money buy what you want you deserve it. You have to love a woman like that, and I do with all my heart.

On a side note...

Beardenbc,

You are smart to respect your wife's viewpoint. Firstly, only she knows the horrors she saw and try as she might to explain it to you you will never feel what she does. Secondly, I have long said that for any couple to survive they need to realize there are 3 personalities in every relationship, her and what she likes to do that don't involve you, you and what you like to do that don't involve her, and the things you do together as a couple. None of them can destroy any of the rest or the relationship will eventually fail.

OJ,

The automobile argument is flawed. It is designed for transportation not to kill people. The vast, overwhelming, use of an automobile is not purposefully to kill people.

Guns were purposely designed, originally anyways, to kill, both animals and people. Over time their use has expanded to target shooting, trap shooting, action target shooting, other sporting uses and collecting.

Scout
April 30, 2010, 02:22 PM
I married her ten years ago and she knew nothing about firearms. Now she has her own Thompson 1927, S&W Airweight, and Ruger Mini-14 Tactical. Furthermore, she won't let me sell a weapon, ever...She says, "They belong to your sons." She has bought me some pretty cool pieces to boot. All around, I'd say she's a good girl.

beardenbc
April 30, 2010, 02:51 PM
FyredUp,

You summed it up perfectly. That's exactly where I'm coming from. Thanks.

FyredUp
April 30, 2010, 03:07 PM
beardenbc

FyredUp,

You summed it up perfectly. That's exactly where I'm coming from. Thanks.

I am a career Firefighter EMT believe me I haven't seen any where near what she has but I still have seen things people shouldn't. So as much as I can I understand what she is saying to you.

Pay attention to her for signs of critical incident stress. She may need some outside help dealing with the memories.

Take care,

Don

Irish80prf
April 30, 2010, 03:07 PM
fyredup it sounds like you have your head screwed on the right way. I told a couple of my friends that are getting ready to get married to find something to do with your wife that you absolutely hate. Something that she loves to do but knows it's not something you will ever really enjoy. Do it, act like you like it, make it your idea to do it, and she will never forget it. For me it is going to touring Broadway plays in KC, I'm never going to love it but I love the fact she enjoys it.

Since this is in the rifle section and don't need any one:barf:
New Rossi or used Marlin

jhansman
April 30, 2010, 03:14 PM
Oh yeah, my wife could care less about my guns. She's an anti, so the best I get is ambivalence. If I come back from the range excited after a particularly good day, she looks at me like I'm retarded. Sigh.... :rolleyes:

GAR700
April 30, 2010, 03:24 PM
You gotta go with the marlin!

GAR

Ozzieman
May 1, 2010, 09:02 AM
No mine's worse,,,
"look honey,, I just put the new AR togther from the parts I purchased at the last gun show."
"Looks nice, that means I get the other one,,, right?!!!:o

Fat White Boy
May 1, 2010, 05:12 PM
My wife is a non gun person but she understands my addiction, hers is fast cars. I learned a long time ago, the "Happy Wife, Happy Life" philosophy. She has hers, I have mine and we never say 'no' to each other...

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
May 1, 2010, 05:58 PM
The wife and I have been together, married, since 62 and she came from a non shooting family.

However, she has hunted with me, shot some critters, bought me a gun or so and never says no.

She says she figures I won't buy unless we can aford it so ---------------

Buying for Her on the other hand is a problem. She is an easy keeper to the max.

Suggest buying a new mixer and if the one we have still works she says no.

I don't know how many times she has bought me something very nice and to my way of think'in pricey.

Hard to keep up with a lady like that.

Almost lost her to a blood clot a year ago. EMTs lost her a number of time before getting to the hospital. One of the EMTs said less then 1 in 10 survive this kind of event. Glad she is still with me, Been a good year!
AND, I have two new to me guns and only sold one. Seems I'm really on the Plus side!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Rattlehead
May 1, 2010, 06:25 PM
Yep, pretty much (still in GF status, haven't tied the noose...errr... *knot* yet).... I started talking about what I might pick up (ended with a bolt 30-06), showing her the various one was I was looking at. She just told me "I have no idea what the difference is between all of these... and to be honest, I don't care. Just get the one that makes you happy".

It also helps that I've never owned more than 3 firearms at any given time.

Irish80prf
May 1, 2010, 10:25 PM
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Happy to hear your wife beat the odds and is still with you.

mdd
May 2, 2010, 12:45 PM
Ol coot, sounds as though you were blessed that day with some well-versed techs. I've been a firefighter for four years but an EMT for only one. I know my limitations as a tech and am glad I was not on that bus ride; at least, not without someone better than me. Until I've sharpened my skillset and increased my cert level from B to A, I pride myself on being a damn good bus driver and cot lifter.
And to keep it in this section, go with the marlin.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
May 2, 2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys!

I am indeed blessed. One doctor walk through the waiting room in the Spokane Cardic intensitive care and simple said, it's a miracle" as he walked by.

Yes indeed, it is that 100%

Sharon took a chopper ride from Moscow, Idaho to Spokane, so she was there hours before I arrived.

Was trying to prepare myself as I drove up, but in two weeks they kicked her out and said she was too good to go to an inpatient rehab.

Hard to prepare for what I expected to deal with, so yes without a doubt I am blessed!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

brotus2
May 3, 2010, 06:42 PM
Will be married 35 years in June. I had a couple of guns when I met her and have over 50 now. She's been shooting a few times with me over the years. Five or six months ago I really got back into shooting and started reloading to be able to shoot more - not save money.

She asked me to really teach her hand guns and rifles so I jumped at the chance. She is 9 years younger and has nine year younger eyes. Frankly, she's now about to the point she out shoots me with revolvers and semis. She's a natural.

I had a Colt Ned Buntline Commerative (Colt SAA, Nickle 12" bbl in 45 Colt) in its walnut and glass case in the safe for the last 26 years. I'd take it out a couple of times a year to look at it. She always loved to look at it, but naturally, no touch. So, I told her "it's yours if you'll shoot it." Well, yesterday she shot a two inch group 1" up and 1" left of dead center at 10 yards, standing with a two hand hold.

Yea, she's a keeper.

riverwalker76
May 3, 2010, 07:38 PM
Nah ... my wife doesn't fuss. It's because she knows resistance is futile!!!! :D

Joking of course ....

She does ask me every once in awhile, out of pure curiosity why I need 2 or 3 rifles of the same caliber. I explain, and she never asks again. She likes shooting almost as much as I do. ;)

She was happy as a clam the first time she fired my AR. Couldn't wipe that grin off of her face for an hour.

gun nut
May 3, 2010, 08:12 PM
My wife is very supportive. She says I know what we can afford and doesn't care what I get!

Tacoma
May 3, 2010, 09:16 PM
and why would you tell your wife your buying another gun???

starbuck125
May 3, 2010, 10:43 PM
my wife just says.....if you want buy it, i don"t care...:D:D. looking for a rifle now...;):D. she"s starting to show instest in .22"s a little, she handled a couple sat at a gunshop.
Love her more everyday

epr105
May 4, 2010, 12:51 AM
I just buy the wife a new Coach bag then I get the gun I want. If it is a expensive gun I stop by the jewelry store. Get her something pretty and then get the gun.
Ed

Bubsy
May 12, 2010, 08:17 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add something here.

I tell my significant other that guns are like breakfast cereals. I don't want to have the same breakfast cereal day after day. The same is true with guns at the pistol range. I need a variety, a different one to shoot on each outing.

bubsy

mrawesome22
May 12, 2010, 08:42 PM
Do you tell her you don't like waking up to the same woman day after day? LOL:D

kaylorinhi
May 12, 2010, 09:19 PM
Do you tell her you don't like waking up to the same woman day after day? LOL ??????

Only if he doesn't take her to the range with him!!!!