PDA

View Full Version : why are these guns bringing so much $?

mdd
April 28, 2010, 06:54 PM
I have an Android phone and it lets me keep a close eye on gunbroker auctions of interest. I made the mistake six weeks ago of finding a ruger m77mkii s/s with the skeleton stock on there and told my old man that "come hell or high water, I'm buying that gun". Humble pie always has a unique flavor as I got blown out of the water by $200. That gun brought $850. I thought it was a fluke until another sold today and brought $780. Now, I love my ruger mkII's with the skeleton stocks and have half a dozen of them. Its just my thing so to speak and they work well for me. Some people obsess over their lawn, some people wanted to be the first illegal alien elected president (they now have to find a new passion in life), I accumulate ruger rifles as I can afford to do so. However even I can't understand these prices. Opinions?

DoctorXring
April 28, 2010, 07:58 PM

On Gunbroker if two guys fall in love with the same rifle,
the $$$ can fly. That's all it takes. Every time I sell a
rifle on Gunbroker, that's my hope.

:)

Abel
April 28, 2010, 08:06 PM
As you well know, Ruger stopped making the skeleton stock on the centerfire frame. It now has a cult following, which you are a part of. Happy bidding. :)

bobelk99
April 28, 2010, 08:18 PM
Good ole supply and demand on discontinued goodie is at work on this gun.

mdd
April 28, 2010, 09:05 PM
It's only on the 22-250's though for some reason. All the rest bring about $500. Plus/minus $50 would probably encompass 90% of s/s mkII's sold on gunbroker.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
April 29, 2010, 09:51 AM
I think part of it -like on Ebay--people get caught up in bidding just to "win"---I've seen things go for unbelievable prices when you could have just gone down to the local store and paid half as much.

Art Eatman
April 29, 2010, 09:59 AM
"Auction fever" is an ancient term. That's why I prefer "live" auctions over on-line. I'll go on the last day, when most folks have spent their money and gone home. What's left might not be quite as highly desirable, but the prices will be 1/3 to 1/2 of opening day. Sorta like Sunday afternoon at a gunshow...

However, if what you want is early on the list, you sometimes can make out okay because folks haven't yet gotten caught up in the fever. :)

mdd
April 29, 2010, 12:25 PM
The guy who sold the one yesterday for $780 has another just like it. We had been discussing a trade for my dpms sportical with 2-7x32 tactical scope and green laser. Less than fifty rds through my ar, all factory accessories including hard case and two 30 rd mags (one still in the package). He sent me an email last night that said after seeing this ruger bring what it did, he would need my AR and $400 cash to make the trade. I think i'll pass.

ratshooter
April 29, 2010, 02:46 PM
I think i'll pass.

I think I would too.

Come and take it.
April 29, 2010, 02:49 PM
Its a free market. If they want to charge erroneous prices and there are suckers willing to pay the money for it there isnt much we can do about it.

mdd
April 29, 2010, 11:24 PM
Ha! Snagged one tonight in perfect condition for $510.

TXGunNut
May 1, 2010, 10:29 PM
Good things come to those who wait.....and wonder what the h*** those folks were thinking! Glad it worked out for you.

TXGunNut
May 1, 2010, 10:44 PM
Art, auction fever was known well before the first online auction. I first fell victim to it as a young coin collector in a numismatics club with auctions at the close of each meeting. I've seen it close up and personal with thousands of $'s involved at big ticket classic car auctions in recent years.
As you know, key is knowing the actual value and deciding ahead of time how badly you want it. Auctions are very entertaining and sometimes result in excellent deals. Sometimes for the buyer, sometimes for the seller, occasionally both.