View Full Version : Pistol Grip For AR-15

April 28, 2010, 03:45 PM
I'm looking to replace the grip on my RRA Model NM A4 AR-15. I have fairly big hands and find the stock grip too skinny. I'd also like to get a little more trigger reach room. Finally, I'm one who makes use of the storage space in the handle. All suggestions/insights/advice appreciated.

April 28, 2010, 04:29 PM
Look no further than the Magpul MIAD (http://store.magpul.com/product/mag050/40) - replaceable front and backstraps with storage. I have one on all my ARs.

April 28, 2010, 04:32 PM
+1 on the MIAD. The MOE is similar but has a rubberized grip offered. I think it is significantly wider than the standard M16 style but it doesn't have the adjustable front/back-strap like the MIAD (It's also almost cheaper than the MIAD)

April 28, 2010, 05:05 PM
The rubberized MOE is not yet available...hopefully later this year.

I'd look into the Ergo pistol grip...its designed for bigger hands, and I believe it comes with a plug.

April 28, 2010, 05:13 PM
This is the one I got and it made a huge difference in the feel for me...http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AG-43&Category_Code=_ps

April 28, 2010, 05:19 PM
I use the Magpul MOE on mine.

April 28, 2010, 08:00 PM
I have big hands, and I use the Magpul MOE, and it fits fine. The MIAD can be set up for even bigger paws, but I just didn't spend the extra for it.

April 28, 2010, 09:57 PM

April 28, 2010, 11:55 PM
while the moe and maid are nice i pesonaly really like the houge grip. BUT!! if at all posible you should hold and feel all you can. find the one thats most comfy for YOU! buy the most comfy one for your hand not what a bunch of people on the internet say!;) just my opinion

April 29, 2010, 12:17 AM
i got big hands too and i like the ERGO grip

April 29, 2010, 02:10 AM
Another vote for the Magpul grip.

Another option if you have big hands is the SAW style grips. They tend to run a little bigger than the standard ones.


April 29, 2010, 02:14 AM
You have to try them out to know if you will like it. I like the Ergo Suregrip but it is a personal preference. Good luck.

April 29, 2010, 07:40 AM
I removed my MAID for this 1911 grip from Pearce. Best AR grip I have used.



April 29, 2010, 03:10 PM
BUT!! if at all posible you should hold and feel all you can. find the one thats most comfy for YOU! buy the most comfy one for your hand not what a bunch of people on the internet say! just my opinion

You have to try them out to know if you will like it.

You guys are right, of course, but unfortunately I don't have access to a store where I can try various grips out to determine which one fits me best-which is why I started this thread to get as much input as possible from those who have experience with various brands and types.

I'm thinking that maybe a grip that affords different size grip inserts (like the Magpul MIAD some have suggested) might be something to consider. Anybody have any experience with the Command Arms Accessories pistol grip? Their model no. UPG16 has interchangeable grip inserts.

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread. I'm considering all recommendations.

April 29, 2010, 03:15 PM
i have big hands as well with really long fingers, my mom always said i had the perfect piano player hands if only i could hold a tune lol...but i have the hogue grip on my ar's, it is what is most comfortable to me though...that 1911 grip is intriguing though..

April 29, 2010, 03:30 PM
That 1911 grip madcratebuilder recommended is intriguing. Does the Hogue grip have a storage compartment? I was under the impression they didn't.

April 29, 2010, 04:40 PM
No plug available for the Hogue. That is why I ditched it. I run a MOE grip, and the grip is stuffed with a .223 boresnake...

sneaky pete
April 29, 2010, 07:42 PM
old Sneaky Pete here: As above My solution was 2 fold. I went the cheeper route by going with a TAPCO SAW style grip for $16.49 @ midway USA. It is bigger and fatter, has storrage in the handle with a "Trap-door/latch" and a better angle for me. BUT the real "Bomb" is a device also sold @ Midway called the "Rite-Pull grip adaptor" by Arms Tech for $25.99( master catalog #33 page 503-No gunsmithing required) which Relocates the pistol grip 3/4" back from the origional position. I've used this setup on 2 of my Lower Builds and like the way my trigger finger 1st Joint is in the exact position for a perfect pull and that TAPCO grip fills my palm. I've never used the Mag-pull that others recommend. THANX--SNEAKY:)

April 29, 2010, 09:47 PM
Hey that Pearce 1911 grip is about cool...and with cocobola grips now imagine that! :rolleyes:

April 29, 2010, 10:10 PM
a set of ironwood furniture, that 1911 grip...oh crap im building another one:rolleyes: