PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Length-25-06

Woodyed
April 25, 2010, 07:33 PM
I've read quite a few posts by forum members that a person shouldn't buy a 25-06 rifle with a barrel less than 24 inches. I will agree that this is an ideal length for a 25-06 barrel, but numerous brand name rifle makers (Winchester, Savage, Ruger, Tikka, etc.) make 22" barrels in this caliber, so is the 22" length really inferior and really not a good length? I myself would like a 24" length for this caliber, but is the 22" all that bad? I know with the 22" you loose some velocity and the noise level would raise somewhat, but is that the only negative features you would encounter?

mrawesome22
April 25, 2010, 08:10 PM
22" is just fine.

ndking1126
April 25, 2010, 08:39 PM
but is that the only negative features you would encounter?

Yep. People for some reason seem to think certain calibers are special enough to not follow the rules of physics and aerodynamics and other big-name scientific rules. The same principles apply to all calibers.

Longer barrel= more velocity (only up to a certain length, of course). Rifling and bullet length need to match up to be accurate. .223 is no more of a tumbler than the .30-06 (during flight, pre-impact).. on and on the list goes.

Come and take it.
April 25, 2010, 08:45 PM
26 - 28 inches is the ideal length for maximum velocity for many high capacity cases. In the early 20th century it was not uncommon for some service rifles to have even longer barrels. The relation between barrel length and velocity with high powered rifles was recognized very early on.

It all depends on what your purpose is for the gun. If you intend long range shooting than the longer the barrel the better. If you intend shooting from ranges of spitting distance to 200 yards and need a quick pointing gun than a 22 inch would be okay.

Brandy
April 25, 2010, 10:11 PM
barrel and is 200 fps faster than my buddies Marlin XL with 22". (It also is also no longer)

taylorce1
April 26, 2010, 06:09 AM
I built mine with a 26" barrel to use slow burning powders normally reserved for Magnum rifles to try and squeeze every last ounce of velocity from my rifle. If you don't handload I really doubt there is going to be a whole lot of difference between 22" and 26". I ues my .25-06 in open country on pronghorns and coyotes so a 26" barrel isn't a problem for hunting either.

GeauxTide
April 26, 2010, 11:03 AM
Most companies put the 25-06 in 24". It's overbore, so 24" is the minimum length I'd consider. If 22", then you've got a loud 257 Bob.

Brandy
April 26, 2010, 01:17 PM
With today's powders, it is BS. When all there was, was Hi-Vel 2, it might have had some credibility. As long as you can increase velocity by increasing case capacity nothing is "overbore". Yes you may give up barrel life, but barrels are cheap. I doubt few if any Antelope hunters would wish to give up their 257 Weatherby rifles for 250-3000s because the former is "overbore".
Another old "gunwriter" canard that has been obsolete for decades.

Add it to the 220 Swift myth, the 300 H&H myth, the short action myth, the CRF myth......one says it and the rest parrot it without any factual support.:barf:

publius
April 26, 2010, 01:27 PM
26 is probably the most efficient in most centerfire calibers. I would like 24's on most of mine, unfortunately we have to settle for 22 with most rack rifles. If I built a 25-06 it would probably have a 25in. barrel.

mrawesome22
April 26, 2010, 03:30 PM
If I were building a 25-06, it would have at least a 26". 22" is fine though. It will kill very well.

Bud Helms
April 26, 2010, 03:44 PM
Overbore is an obsolete concept that should just die.
With today's powders, it is BS.

Well then how do you account for a longer barrel giving more velocity, with the same load?

You have much better behaved powders today, and you can compensate to some degree for an expansion chamber that isn't large enough for your powder charge. But a .300 WSM in an 18 inch barrel is just plain overbore and no amount of emphatic assertion to the contrary can change that fact.

I know with the 22" you loose some velocity and the noise level would raise somewhat, but is that the only negative features you would encounter?

That and maybe lousy reduced accuracy. Maybe.

Abel
April 26, 2010, 03:56 PM
I'd go 24" on the 25-06. That is an excellent excuse to buy a Weatherby.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard/synthetic

mrawesome22
April 26, 2010, 04:21 PM
Or this. (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/3/products_id/97009) Gorgeous.

mrawesome22
April 26, 2010, 04:25 PM
Or this (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-cdl-sf.aspx) in .257Weatherby. Insert drool emoticon here. LOL

GeauxTide
April 27, 2010, 02:35 PM
Thank you, Bud. One other way to put it would be the ratio of case volume versus bore size, called expansion ratio. May be an old concept, but it is still valid.

kiwi56
April 27, 2010, 03:56 PM
Anther way of getting 257 Weatherby velocitices is to Ackley Improve the standard 25-06 same velocity for less powder. I am using a Sako A3 action 26inch barrel and at 100yards the group size for five shots is close to half inch with a chrono'ed velocity average of around 3600 ft per second.

Hawkeye_FH
April 27, 2010, 05:43 PM
The powder does not have to still be burning in order for the hot gases to continue to expand. This can be explained by the Ideal Gas Law.

PV=nRT where,

P= pressure
V= volume
n= number of moles of gas
R= gas constant 0.00821L*atm/(K*mol)
T= Temperature in Kelvin

The hot gases will expand and cool untill the equation has been balanced but will expand slower as it nears equilibrium.

Also, 1/2 mass*velocity squared= kenetic energy= work= force*distance
this gives us:

Velocity= square root{(force*distance)/(2*mass)}

So if we keep the force the same as well as the mass of the object then the longer the distance the greater the velocity.

Since the force does not stay constant but actually decresses, as seen in the Ideal Gas Law, is the reason for deminishing returns once a barrel reaches a certain length.

Hawkeye_FH
April 27, 2010, 05:52 PM
BTW these are just the major concepts, many more aspects would have to be taken into account to get presice calculations. For example the force of friction between the bullet and the barrel.

Lloyd Smale
April 28, 2010, 06:51 AM
im sure the extra 2 inches adds something but im not sure its enough to loose the nice handling charateristics of a 22 inch gun over a 24. they make 243s 6mms 270s 280s 06s with barrels as short as 18 inch and even 16 in some cases and the standard barrel lenght is usually 22. What makes the 2506 so different! Ive got two a #1 with a 26 and a ruger with a 24 but have been thinking lately of picking up one of the cdl remingtons and whacking it to 22 inch.