PDA

View Full Version : How to properly mount and sight a new scope?

Tangentabacus
April 25, 2010, 06:46 PM
I just got a brand spankin' new Colt AR-15A3. I also just got a brand new Bushnell, but I can't get the bullet to go where the scope goes at about 100 yards, but at 25 it's perfect, and 50 it's okay. Obviously I have tried adjusting windage and elevation, but by the time I have gotten enough bullets down range to start adjusting I have so many holes I don't know where the last bullet hit. Do you guys have any tips, or ways you usually do it?

One thing I am going to get is a spotting scope. Some opinions on a bore laser would be nice.

jmr40
April 25, 2010, 07:09 PM
The bore sight tools are a waste of money. They will get you on the paper at 50 yards or so and you are already there.

Slow down. If you are zeroed at 50 yards you should be pretty close at 100. Fire no more than 3 shots and check your target. I use a roll of masking tape to cover my bullet holes between groups so I know where I'm at. Measure how far off you are from zero. Most scopes move the crosshairs 1/4" per click. If you are 1.5" left and 2" low moving your scope 8 clicks up and 6 clicks right should do it. If not you have a scope or mount problem.

Palmetto-Pride
April 25, 2010, 11:20 PM
When I first sight in at 100yds I use colored masking tape to make a big + on the back of a good size piece of paper, take aim at the middle and you can then usually see how far off you are without a bunch of other lines or other holes confusing you. I think some of those targets made specifically for 100yds sighting in are horrible they have so many lines and BS on them you can't tell where the hell the hole is.

kraigwy
April 25, 2010, 11:36 PM
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407522

brotus2
April 26, 2010, 01:59 PM
Go to WalMart and in the office supplies section get a couple of packs of those 1" round colored stick ons. They are cheap and they cover bullet holes just fine.