PDA

View Full Version : Barrel rusting help.

CK_32
April 25, 2010, 03:58 PM
So I just noticed some small rust beginning to form on the outer part of my barrel and on the back part of the firing pin on my Remington 700 SPS tac. It had some small rust on the back of the firing pin when I bought the rifle but I'm not sure if its getting worse or not. But I don't feel like sit back and watching it spread before I figure I should do something about it. Iv taken it out only twice since I got it about 2 months ago and I have had it in a TacForce Stryker bag when its at home in doors so I don't think that could be the problem even tho I live fairly close to the beach. I have never put any water on the barrel or anything but the stock once but a very damp hand towel and I made sure the barrel wasn't touched and dried as soon as I got the water on the stock. I shoot in dry desert but I've seen people shoot in snow and rain and not have a rust problem so I'm thinking just the way my gun was stored at the factory was the problem.

So anyone have any tips or anything to help me get rid of the rust and prevent it from coming back again with out taking the bluing off my barrel and scratching it all to hell??

LaserSpot
April 25, 2010, 04:56 PM
You can take the rust off without hurting the bluing by gently rubbing with oil and fine steel wool. You can get some rust from trapped leftover bluing salts on some new firearms, but I wouldn't expect this on the barrel. Sweaty finger prints are more likely to be the cause.

Spray it with Eezox to prevent rust. I've seen the result of several salt-spray tests and tested myself. This is the best corrosion protection product that doesn't leave a heavy coating: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=129027

You shouldn't store your rifle in the gun case, it will trap any little bit of moisture; get a metal gun cabinet. If it's humid, you may want to also get a GoldenRod: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=614184

Chris_B
April 25, 2010, 05:20 PM
I've had good experience with a little dab of toothpaste and about 4x as much gun oil. Mix it up, rub it on with a rag. Very gentle

mrawesome22
April 25, 2010, 05:22 PM
RemOil on a square of sheep's skin works well for me. Then remove excess with a soft cloth.

CK_32
April 26, 2010, 12:28 AM
Yea i just ordered some online hopefully it gets here before the rust gets any worse.. Its alot worse now then it was 2 days ago..

I was told to put some moisture capture packets in my soft case cause soft cases apparently trap in moisture. So ill probably give that a try also.

Powderman
April 26, 2010, 01:32 AM
Iv taken it out only twice since I got it about 2 months ago and I have had it in a TacForce Stryker bag when its at home in doors so I don't think that could be the problem even tho I live fairly close to the beach.

Friend, you are storing your rifle in the worst conditions possible. Storing the rifle in a case does not let air circulate. It allows moist air to be trapped. And, since you live near a beach, that's SALT air.

Get that rifle OUT of the case--and any other guns you might have, too.

First, to rust removal. The prior posters all had good remedies. I have had excellent luck with a light oil and 0000 steel wool. A few light scrubs will do the trick.

AFTER you remove the firearms from inside the cases, coat them with a good coat of Kroil or WD40. Both are excellent water-displacing oils--but they do NOT provide long term lubrication.

As an afterthought--you might want to de-mate all your actions from the stocks and look closely to make sure no rust is forming where you can't see.

Don't forget the bore, either--you'll get some hideous rust monsters forming in there too. Dry patch the bore, and apply some light oil.

Scorch
April 26, 2010, 11:37 AM
Your rifle is rusting because you have not coated the metal with a good rust preventative. Good rust preventatives are light grease, oil, silicone oil, wax, and then you can get into some of the more exotic stuff like Eezox, WeaponShield, Gunzilla, RIG, RemOil, and any number of expensive and exotic substances, but very few of them work much better than good old gun grease for real-world scenarios. I mean, how often do you expose your rifle to concentrated salt spray for 18 hours?

One other thing: take the gun out of the soft case. The foam absorbs moisture and can actually increase rust problems. Just stand the rifle in the corner or put it in a gun cabinet. This will allow air to circulate around it and it will have less chance of rusting.

publius
April 26, 2010, 01:24 PM
No soft cases used for storage! take the rust off using the above methods ( 0000 steel wool and i like Kroil. Pay close attention to these spots from now on, they are weak spots now. I would rub them vigorously with a soft Kroil soaked patch every few days for a couple of weeks. As far as routine rust prevention, I think Corrosion-X is the best followed by Eezox.

JoeBob
April 26, 2010, 02:00 PM
I'd look into investing into a gun cabinet at the very least, and if possible a safe, with proper desiccants or dehumidifiers inside. Putting them into a soft case long-term isn't the best idea for rust as you have found out!

I use a rag with Breakfree-CLP for rust prohibiting after handling, after a weapon gets wet, etc.