PDA

View Full Version : Rule of thumb on scopes

Nero45
April 24, 2010, 08:49 PM
So I'm thinking about scoping a few of my rifles but having never really messed around with scopes I'm very limited in what too look for. I know the closer to the barrel the better and that some have the ability to zoom in but I'm really not sure about other than that. What I'm hoping to scope is an 8mm, 7.62x54r, and 303. Also where can I find documentation on sighting and zeroing in? Thank you.

kraigwy
April 24, 2010, 09:25 PM
For the guns you mentioned, I recommend something like Weaver or Leupold or simular, 4-6 fixed power.

When you buy your scope, you'll find directions for mounting and sighting them come with the scopes.

Its not as difficult as you seem to think.

Mount the sucker, make sure the cross hairs are level. And you have proper eye relief. You can tell them by moving the scope back and forth in the rights until you get a full field of view, without shadows on the sides, top and bottom of the scope. You will see what I mean when you start looking through the scope.

Bore sight them if you can. If not put the rifle on some sort of rest. Remove the bolt, look down the barrel (from the breach in) line it up on a target (25 yards). Then without disturbing the rifle, adjust the scope to match what you see in the barrel.

Now shoot a few 3 shot groups, working the center of the group toward the center of the target.

You get the rifle(s) sighted in at 25 yards, then you should be pretty close at 200 yards.

Now move to 100, find tune your scope. Now move to what ever range you want to shoot, and again fine tune it for that range.

No big deal.

James R. Burke
April 25, 2010, 01:47 PM
The Captain is correct. It's not a big deal. I found when you have the bore on the target your scope adjustments will be opposite. Because normally your moving the scope to the target, not sure if I explained that correct or even understandable. If you have the cross hairs on the target the adjustments are normal.

L_Killkenny
April 25, 2010, 02:41 PM
I'll add that 2" high at 100 yards is kinda standard for deer hunting calibers.

LK