PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a rifle for my son.

d3lta58
April 24, 2010, 04:50 AM
Hey guys, I've been taking my son out shooting with a couple buddies of mine with my 10/22 for quite a bit, and now he really wants to get into a more "competitive" type of recreational shooting. As much as I would like to act like I know exactly what to get him, I truly don't know what to do. My son is only 14, he's not a small kid, but I wouldn't classify him as a football player either.

We are looking for a bolt action, accurate, easy to clean and assembly, platform rifle that we could build as he gets better. The caliber is up for grabs still, and depending on what the input from you guys are, will influence us a lot in the purchase. I would like to put him on a .308, but I know how the recoil for him would be, and I don't wanna get him a .223 and it just need to be re-chambered later on if he decided to do competitions.

Finally our price range is around 1000$ or so. That being if I had the choice to buy a better quality product for a little bit more I would do that. I was thinking of a Remington 700, but like I said before, I don't really know.

Thanks for the input!

zoomie
April 24, 2010, 05:06 AM
Sounds like a 223 700 would be ideal.

Hey guys, I've been taking my son out shooting with a couple buddies of mine with my 10/22 for quite a bit, and now he really wants to get into a more "competitive" type of recreational shooting.
One part of F/TR is limited to 223, so he could shoot that without being handicapped.
As much as I would like to act like I know exactly what to get him, I truly don't know what to do. My son is only 14, he's not a small kid, but I wouldn't classify him as a football player either.
Even if he was a football player, you couldn't go wrong starting with a 223.
We are looking for a bolt action, accurate, easy to clean and assembly, platform rifle that we could build as he gets better. The caliber is up for grabs still, and depending on what the input from you guys are, will influence us a lot in the purchase. I would like to put him on a .308, but I know how the recoil for him would be, and I don't wanna get him a .223 and it just need to be re-chambered later on if he decided to do competitions.
Again, no need to rechamber the 223 for competition. There are matches limited to and designed for the 223.
Finally our price range is around 1000$ or so. That being if I had the choice to buy a better quality product for a little bit more I would do that. I was thinking of a Remington 700, but like I said before, I don't really know.
My suggestion: 700P in 223 (http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-826-833-remington-700p-223.aspx). It comes with a good stock unlike the other 700s.

Eventually you might want to rebarrel it in a faster twist for the heavier match bullets, but you'll never need to rechamber it.

Dustin0
April 24, 2010, 06:14 AM
Sounds like a Savage 12 VAR LP 243 DBM would fill the bill. I like 243 over 223. If you want to change it over to 308 later you can it will use that same bolt face and action.

Irish80prf
April 24, 2010, 08:58 AM
I was thinking the .243 myself. Now don't get me wrong I have a .223 and love to shoot the thing. The only reason I am thinking .243 over .223 is because the op said he didn't want a .223. The .243 is a lot bigger round then the .223 but it surprised me how little it kicks. Now I am a big guy so don't take my word for it, but I don't think it would be hard for a kid to have a range session with one. Now as far as the gun goes I shoot a Savage model 11 that has accutrigger and a recoil pad that is really soft, it is supposed to reduce felt recoil by something like 27% and I think it works. Plus the trigger can be adjusted down to I believe 1.5 lbs for bench shooting.

Irish80prf
April 24, 2010, 09:03 AM
Oh and I applaud you for giving your son the chance to get into such a great sport. I wish more fathers out there would do so.

mapsjanhere
April 24, 2010, 09:07 AM
A 223 for F/T shooting sounds ideal, bipod allowed so his strength doesn't matter. I recently got a Weatherby Vanguard Target for my wife, goes for around $650, leaving you a decent budget for a scope.

mrawesome22
April 24, 2010, 09:38 AM
Sounds like a 223 700 would be ideal.
Ditto.

James R. Burke
April 24, 2010, 12:20 PM
Just myself I would look at a .243 or .308. Lots of nice rifles out there that would work. Nice that your supportive of him and shooting no matter what you get. I am sure he would like to pick a certain style or look rifle himself,we all have our differnt taste on that. Has long as it will work for what you want it for. Someone mentioned on a difffernt post if you could go to a few matches to see how they are, and what they use etc. Most I think would be willing to give advice to a new comer, and are proud of there sport. I think your getting some good inpuut now to think about, and I am sure you will get more. This is a great forum to get help, and lots of ideas.

Buzzcook
April 24, 2010, 12:21 PM
What type of target shooting is the kid interested. What types of target shooting are available to him?

I'd suggest you go to the place you intend to shoot and talk to the folks there. At lower levels of competition just about any bolt action varmint gun will be fine and just about type of cartridge will be fine.

Unless it is excluded a .223 will also work. After all it's been a successful 1000yds round on more than one occasion.

Don't go whole hog on the first rifle unless you know exactly how it's going to be used.

d3lta58
April 24, 2010, 12:26 PM
I'm amazed at the speed of the responses, and I just wanted to say thanks to anyone that posted. I've heard many great things about the r700, and I wouldn't have a problem putting in the extra buck for the police version. It seems that most of you guys either said go with the .223 or the .243, so what it looks like is that i'll get a buddy of mine to let my son take these calibers to the range and we'll see what he likes the best.

I was thinking for bench: Harris bipod 4-9, but what scope should a beginner like my son get. The range that we go to goes out to 600 yards

mapsjanhere
April 24, 2010, 02:39 PM
Depends of course how much you love your son, but Leupold VX2, Bushnell 4200 and Zeiss Conquest all make quality scopes; for target work up to 600 yards something in a 4- 14 range would be appropriate.

nimbleVagrant
April 24, 2010, 02:40 PM
The .243 is a superb round. Anything, target oriented, from Remington or Savage will fit the bill nicely. As far as optics, the sky's the limit. If you've got 600 yards to play with, an adjustable objective is definitely a plus. Matched reticle and turrets are also a plus. Bushnell, Millett, WOTAC and Falcon all offer good entry level optics. I'd avoid BSA, Barska, NcStar and Simmons.

bigamehunter93
April 25, 2010, 08:03 PM
I myself would highly recommend the .243. I own a Rem 700 .243 and it is by far one of the most accurate, dependable, and over all flat-shooting calibers out there. Great for hunting and competition. As far as a scope goes, LEUPOLD VX2 or VX3. Good luck on your purchase and your sons future competition.
Jeremy

Bamashooter
April 25, 2010, 10:40 PM
i will chime in...
i bought my son a .243 and it was an excellent choice. once he got comfortable shooting it. turns out ole pops must have taught him well becouse his best group to date is just over [email protected] he will be 12 in june. i also think a 7mm08 would be a good choice for a up and coming shooter.

isnipe
April 25, 2010, 10:45 PM
Get him a .308,personally I think any one can handle the .308 It doesn't kick that bad but if you think he can't handle it go with at least a .243(oh and for a scope get him a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14*40mm great scope and only 299$,It hels me print 1.00 in. groups at 200yds. with my old remmy.)

P-990
April 26, 2010, 07:40 PM
"Competitive" shooting to me is defined by either Smallbore (.22LR from 50-ft to 100-yards, shot prone, sitting, kneeling and offhand) or Highpower (centerfire from 100-yards to 1000-yards).

See if you can find a couple of clinics for either discipline and see if your son likes one or the other before making a decision. I'm a Highpower shooter myself, and I use an AR-15 Service Rifle (not your generic HBAR mind you) chambered in .223 out to 600-yards, iron sights only.

Get him started, join up yourself and have fun! Ask lots of questions, most of us are happy to start talking about our sport to new people, especially if we think we can get you hooked too (we're like crack pushers! ;) ). See what is out there and what it's about before you commit to purchasing a rifle. A competitive AR-15 Service Rifle will set you back about $1200 ready-to-go out-of-the-box. .223 ammo is cheaper to buy than the bigger rounds, cheaper to load and perfectly adequate to 600-yards if you're slinging 75-80gr bullets. There is other equipment you will need/want later, but you can borrow or buy used a surprising amount of it (for a junior you might even get freebies...).

Oh, and careful about Smallbore. It can suck your wallet dry as fast as motorcycle racing... :eek:

Idempotent
April 26, 2010, 10:14 PM
On your next range visit, take a look around and see what other people are shooting and ask them politely if your son can fire a couple shots to see what they feel like. Every time I go to the range I always see at least a couple people shooting 308 and at least half a dozen people shooting 223. I just bought a 308 and the recoil, while stiff, could potentially be manageable by a teenager. So have him fire off a couple of shots at the range and see what he thinks. If his shoulder is absolutely slammed, step down a bit, but if it only gets a bit sore, then he will be able to handle it with practice.

sc928porsche
April 27, 2010, 08:08 AM
Since you are looking for something for competition and you dont want the recoil of the 308, and you dont want the 223, I would highly suggest the remington 260. It would make a very good rifle for him. He could use it in meets, and also for hunting. Excellent balistics on this cartridge and recoil is light.

Ammunition is not difficult to come by, but there isnt much bullet selection in factory ammo. I would suggest that you reload for best results. Good selection of bullets, and cases can be made easily from either 243 or 308 brass.

Rifleman1776
April 27, 2010, 08:24 AM
.243 easy decision with the circumstances you described. Powerful, accurate and recoil is hardly noticable. A Savage is inexpensive and, IMHO, as accurate as any other on the market. Easy to reload and used military .308 brass is readily available which can be necked down to .243/6mm.

Old Grump
April 27, 2010, 02:38 PM
Have you considered smallbore competition. A good 22 rifle can cost you most of or more than that $1,000 but the discipline learned shooting small bore will carry directly over to centerfire when he moves up. I have seen a lot of decent centerfire shooters unable to get a good group with a rimfire but I have never seen a good smallbore shooter fail at centerfire. Just dos centavos from an old dinosaur.