PDA

View Full Version : Model 70 questions

BLS700
April 23, 2010, 03:02 PM
How have your experiences with the NEW model 70's been. I'm looking to buy a rifle that I can pass down to my kids. So for those of you that have the new 70's what do you like and dislike? How does it shoot? Also since its something I'm buying for the purpose of passing it on later how does is it holding up? This will be a rifle I hunt with and I think I want to go with walnut since I've always had a soft spot for how it looked (my uncle had a 70 that I stared at often and felt it time well spent). Thanks for any assistance.

kraigwy
April 23, 2010, 03:18 PM
I think the New Model 70 would be the perfect choice.

I have several Model 70s, post and pre-64s, the New FN Model 70s are the best of the lot in my opinion. Smooth, accurate, and great looking.

Mine is a Limited Edition Featherweight in 270 Roberts. The wood matches my post 64 Featherweight in 257 Roberts, so they make a nice pair.

No Sir, for what you are looking for, its gonna be harder to beat the new FN Model 70.

jmr40
April 23, 2010, 03:30 PM
I don't have one yet, but think they are probably the best bet for a classic American hunting rifle. I also have several older Winchesters and am quite fond of all of them.

All of the accuracy reports I've read on various gun forums indicate that they are very accurate. I was disappointed in the wood and checkering on the first few that I saw, but was in a gunshop earlier in the week and had a chance to handle several and they were much better than the first ones I saw.

GeauxTide
April 23, 2010, 08:27 PM
I gave my CN made 70 to my oldest son last Christmas. I acquired a SS after that. It was also made in the CN plant. I have handled several iterations of the FN model and would be very comfortable buying another. Yes, they are shooters.

Slamfire
April 23, 2010, 08:57 PM
I have classics and one FN action, and one FN actioned rifle. Both of these were "PBR" M70's sold through CDNN. These CDNN actions were the last M70's assembled at New Haven, per telephone conference with FN.

Let me say that the M70 classics were smooth rifles. This 6.5 Swede is delightful. There is nothing wrong with a good M70 classic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M70%20pics/M70IMG_1523.jpg

However I think the FN M70's show the best machining and have small design improvments over the previous M70's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M70%20pics/FNfulllengthDSCN8751.jpg

The bolt shroud now blocks gas coming down the left receiver rail. This is good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M70%20pics/Boltshroudleftside.jpg

I have not played with the "trigger" upgrade, the older PBR's use the old M70 trigger mechanism, and aftermarket triggers, such as a Jewel, drop right in. I really thought the old mechanism was the best over ride trigger on the market. Apparently it was too hard to make it hold a light trigger pull, so it was changed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M70%20pics/M70action1.jpg

I hope the new M70 is a success. I always liked the M70 for the three position safety, and the fact that it is easy to pull the firing pin mechanism out of the bolt and clean inside the bolt. I like the fact that the safety positively holds the firing pin back. I like the fact that you can put the safety on half way and empty the magazine with the safety on. Based on accidental firings, sear blocking safeties, which are on most bolt rifles, are not as safe or accident free as a firing pin safety. The M700 sear blocking safety has had enough accidental discharges that it no longer holds the bolt down when the safety is on. That is because a number of M721's and M700's discharged when the safety was taken off.

Based on my experience with Ruger M77, Rem M700, and the M70 action, it is my opinion that the M70 has the slicker and easier to activate mechanism.

I like the flat bottomed M70 receiver. I like having the recoil lug integral with the receiver.

I prefer a claw extractor. I like the looks, I like being able to open the action and being able to ease an unfired round into my hand. Push feed actions eject rounds all over the place and you end up having to dig them out of the weeds.

While I believe the M98 is the safest and best overall action ever put on a bolt action, the M70 is still a good one. Maybe it ought to be number two with the Mauser 98 number one.

TXGunNut
April 23, 2010, 11:19 PM
I have a beautiful new Super Grade Model 70. More accurately, the Winchester service center has it. When I get it back I'll be able to give you a better answer, right now I'm not very happy with it, obviously.

BLS700
April 24, 2010, 05:35 PM
TXGunNut if you don't mind what issue are you having and is it reoccurring. I hadn't heard of too many problems with the guns.

TXGunNut
April 24, 2010, 07:29 PM
I've posted elsewhere on this forum about the poor accuracy and other issues and didn't want to belabor the issue until I give them a chance to repair it. I sent it back a few weeks ago, should be back any day now. I feel a company that mentions MOA repeatedly in the ads for the Super Grade should deliver it, mine didn't despite many attempts with my pet loads and even factory loads. Barrel is a bit skinny for precision shooting but I'm confident it can do it.
Yes, I would recommend this rifle and yes, I would make the purchase again.

mudstud
April 24, 2010, 07:55 PM
Slamfire, I like your analysis of the Model 70 Classics and FN 70's! If you don't mind, I would just like to clarify a point or two (yeah, I'm a nitpicker!). Other than the MOA trigger on the FN 70's, which I don't consider an upgrade, the late model Classics had every other upgrade incorporated into their production before production ceased at New Haven. Not on every model, but most. For instance, the flanged bolt shroud was common on many 2003 models, and I believe, was actually started to be used in 2002. As well, the recessed target crown, one-piece bottom metal, and the Williams extractor were used on every model before production ceased, except for the Classic Stainless, which never had the one-piece bottom metal, but had every other upgrade before production was ended. My point being, FN can claim only one upgrade, that being the MOA trigger, which I believe to be a wrong move.

On the other hand, I have been fondling an FN 70 Stainless Featherweight in 300WSM, which has to be one of the most perfect rifles I have ever seen! Golly, that thing is a beauty! It is perfect in every way! Except for caliber, I don't want a 300WSM (nothing wrong with a 300WSM, I just don't want one). If it was a 270, 30-06, 7mmRM, it would be mine! :D Have a nice day!

TXGunNut
April 24, 2010, 08:05 PM
I'm no trigger expert but almost every bolt gun and a few semi-autos I own have had a trigger job or aftermarket trigger. My new Super Grade doesn't need it, IMHO. It's also one of the most beautiful rifles I've ever seen, with the possible exception my brother's, purchased at the same time.