PDA

View Full Version : Rare opportunity to buy a LNIB Marlin levergun

GoBucks
April 23, 2010, 09:57 AM
I was approached by a friend who recently purchased a gun from a man at his church who is liquidating his collection of firearms because he has MS.
There are two more Marlins LNIB with papers - one in .357 and the other
in 44 mag. The price for each is outstanding - but here is my dilema -I don't shoot CAS and I really don't know what I would use them for.
I live in Ohio and can't hunt deer with a rifle.
I already have a 30-30 win 94xtr and I am not sure I can justify buying either one of these guns.

Any ideas on how to justify this purchase? Uses other than CAS for these guns?

Thanks for the input.

SR420
April 23, 2010, 09:58 AM
Any ideas on how to justify this purchase?
The price for each is outstanding... buy them.

2damnold4this
April 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
I think they'd both be fun to shoot. I'd get the one in .357 if I had the money.

Pahoo
April 23, 2010, 10:42 AM
SR420 + 1
Some time ago, I bought .357 under simular circumstances, shot it a bit and then resold it to a lawyer that was just getting into CASS. Did make a buck on that one and wish I could do it again. Buy both of them as an investment, if you wish. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

uncyboo
April 23, 2010, 11:15 AM
If the price is good enough, buy them and flip them. Use the profits to get something you think you might get more use out of.

Jimro
April 23, 2010, 12:15 PM
If you ever get to hunt in Indiana, a levergun in a pistol cartridge is a good option.

And they are really handy, loads of fun, and the 357 is a great platform to introduce new shooters to centerfire rifle.

Jimro

jmr40
April 23, 2010, 01:52 PM
Either would make a handy home defense rifle to mate with a revolver in the same caliber.

overland
April 23, 2010, 02:00 PM
If they are the Marlin 1894 models (probably are due to the calibers), buy them. They are very hard to find new these days. Hard to get. Always on backorder. You can always resell them. I have one in 44. Its a great, light rifle.

PetahW
April 23, 2010, 02:20 PM
[Any ideas on how to justify this purchase?]

? ? ? ? ? ? ?

FWIW, If you HAVE to justify the purchase of another gun to yourself, then there's little hope for you................ ;)

If you want to justify it to a "significant other", then you can always give them the piece of nice jewelry you bought with the rifles, as a "package deal". :p

sonrider657
April 23, 2010, 03:40 PM
Justification = hyper-inflation is coming, better to have your wealth in guns than worthless dollars.

skifast
April 23, 2010, 03:50 PM
I live in Ohio and am looking for a lever action for my son's birthday. If you don't want it, i would be interested.

badlander
April 23, 2010, 07:05 PM
My birthday is comming up! As good A reason as any.

rantingredneck
April 23, 2010, 08:03 PM
Most of my handguns are .357 magnum revolvers. Hands down my favorite platform and caliber. When I travel and am away from home for more than a night or so I like to have a long gun along for the trip. Used to be a shotgun but that means carrying a separate stash of ammo.

When I got my 1894C .357 last year it became the logical choice for the trunk gun on long trips. My carry gun plus a second handgun and the carbine makes for a dandy vacation combination. Couple boxes of ammo and I'm good.

The .357 mag out of a 16" barrel is nipping at the heels of a .30-30 ballistically. It's a darn fine SD/Hunting platform.