PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with a new AR?

Tangentabacus
April 23, 2010, 04:22 AM
Setting:

You just drop half your life's earnings on a new AR. Now what?

Get a new scope? Buy a quad rail? Get some reloading gear?

I think a lot of new AR owners out there (like me) don't know what to do next. Now, users of TFL, speak your knowledge and wisdom to us new AR owners. What do we do next?

RT
April 23, 2010, 04:28 AM
Sling, Pmags, case of ammo, go shoot a lot
Later you can consider an optic/ rail/ light/ bipod

NCHogin
April 23, 2010, 04:33 AM
+1 on RT, but when you get your optics and bipod, then the fun really starts on being a precise shooter working on your skills/technique. My AR outshoots me that's for sure.

TheNatureBoy
April 23, 2010, 04:33 AM
Probably sell it and purchase a bolt action rifle. I'm just not into the AR's.

Tangentabacus
April 23, 2010, 04:50 AM
Right now I am working on getting my scope properly mounted. My two mags that came with my Colt are perfect for a day at the range. I need to figure out how to mount a Harris on my current grips. I have no rails... Also, I need to get some rails. Do you guys have any recommendations for some snap on rails that will fit my current set up?

My list of parts I want.

Magpul stock of some sort
Rail system
Harris Bipod

Norrick
April 23, 2010, 04:57 AM
lots of magazines

bumnote
April 23, 2010, 05:27 AM
I'm not in to optic sights and don't use a scope under 200 yards, which is what all the ranges I use are...but the first things I bought were:

a Harris bipod
Magpul magazines
Falcon Industries ERGO pistol grip w/ a palm rest
after 1K rounds...reloading equipment. Between that and the bipod, best post-AR purchase I made. Beyond the savings, the quality and consistency of my ammo improved as well.
brass deflector...got tired of chasing brass
a David Tubb adjustable buttplate assembly...that I haven't put on yet.

Sport45
April 23, 2010, 06:38 AM

After the beat-down from my wife I'd try to sell it for grocery money or rent. My "rainy day" money doesn't go to firearms.

I certainly wouldn't be putting the other half of my savings into them too.

Come and take it.
April 23, 2010, 07:38 AM
shoot it. Prove its reliablity under poor conditions by not cleaning it to make sure when you have to depend on it the gun wont let you down.

There is reason why colts, S&W who always chrome line dont choke on stuck cases often while some manufacturers will. It is related to poor tolerances and out of spec chambers.

sonrider657
April 23, 2010, 08:10 AM
If you are going to use it for defense, get a quality flashlight and mount.

Shawn Thompson
April 23, 2010, 08:12 AM
Assuming that the amount of money spent produced a "quality" rifle w/free floating barrel and modular rail front end right off the shelf:

1) Leave insides completely mil-spec

2) Forward mount an Aimpoint (complimented with flip-up front and rear sights for back-up)

3) Train hard!

Bartholomew Roberts
April 23, 2010, 08:17 AM
My recommendations:

1. Ammunition
2. Formal training
3. Any equipment needed for the class

The formal training is the best purchase you'll ever make. Not only is the knowledge you take something you'll have with you all of the time, a lot of it will carry over to other platforms as well.

I grew up in a household with firearms. I was building ARs and shooting NFA weapons in college. I went into the military and had further firearms instruction there. I came out and was shooting 1,000 rounds a month just in 9mm. I thought I was the last guy in the world that needed any formal instruction on firearms; but the first class I had, I learned more than I had in my entire life up to that point.

mapsjanhere
April 23, 2010, 08:21 AM
Put it next to the others and grumble how today's quality control doesn't hold up to the original ...

spacecoast
April 23, 2010, 08:27 AM

I'd be wondering why that AR cost about 1000 times more than it should have, and how to get my money back.

lwfiredog
April 23, 2010, 08:33 AM
Buy a Ciener .22 conversion kit. Best thing i bought for mine. Runs flawlessly, and it pays for its self after a few trips to the range. Ill put 500 + rounds of .22 through it and then I still put about 100 rounds of 5.56 through it each time.

velocette
April 23, 2010, 08:47 AM
1, Field strip it & clean it thoroughly.
2, Using a good quality gun oil, lubricate it generously. Remember, ARs like to run wet.
3, Work the action (UNLOADED OF COURSE) dry firing many times.
4, dis-assemble & clean the magazines, deburr their feed lips & followers.
5, Lubricate the magazines inside & out with a dry lubricant. (Eezox, Maglube etc)
6, Take it out & shoot the snot out of it.

7, After several range sessions, start to think about what to add or change with your rifle. Scope, bipods, accessories, etc.

Have fun!
Roger

SSgt Facebreaker
April 23, 2010, 09:15 AM
Buy extra magazines and shoot the heck out of it as-is. Worry about hanging doo-dads off of it later.

Rattlehead
April 23, 2010, 09:32 AM
First step, punch myself in the face for spending that much on any weapon. And then immediately follow TheNatureBoy's advice. But that's probably not what you're looking for, so I'll play along.

Personally, I like at least some form of optics (I'm not glass fiend) and a bipod on my firearms, but past that, probably grab ammo and find a good range to work on my shooting.

Oh, and paint it pink to make it look less evil :D

worth
April 23, 2010, 09:38 AM
Start shooting:D

Technosavant
April 23, 2010, 09:41 AM
I'd shoot it to make sure it works. Depending on my use for the rifle, I might then begin to outfit it with optics. For sure I'd figure out what I plan to do with it before accessorizing it- no point in having contradictory features (bipod and scope with a weapon light and a pointy flash suppressor). Then it just starts being silly.

azredhawk44
April 23, 2010, 09:52 AM
A case of ammo.

A sling.

A weekend at an Appleseed to start with.

Then whatever training interested me, if I shot the Rifleman score at an Appleseed.

Quentin2
April 23, 2010, 12:47 PM
I agree with those that said start shooting. Of course buy ammo and magazines. And a cheap GI sling if it didn't come with one.

Now is the time to figure out if you like the rifle you chose and the only way to do that is shoot a lot and carry it around. Don't buy lots of crap just because you see pretty pictures. Buy what you need after you research what's available.

Kreyzhorse
April 23, 2010, 01:00 PM
If it were me, sell for as much as I could get out it. ARs aren't my thing.

That being said, I'd go shoot the heck out of it and see what it needs. That means lots of ammo and some extra mags.

If you are hot after a Harris bipod, that would be a good option but I'd burn up some ammo first and make sure it's something that I'd use.

dgludwig
April 27, 2010, 04:48 PM
I think a lot of new AR owners out there (like me) don't know what to do next. Now, users of TFL, speak your knowledge and wisdom to us new AR owners. What do we do next?

I guess it all depends on why you bought the rifle in the first place (i.e., competition target, self-defense, varmint hunting, big game hunting, survival, etc.) :confused:. Once you address the "why" of it, the "how" of it becomes more self-evident.

P-990
April 27, 2010, 09:18 PM
1) Buy magazines
2) Clean it
3) Buy ammo
4) Shoot it!
5) Repeat 2-4 as necessary

It's that easy. I personally abhor optics on my rifles, but I can shoot some pretty small groups with aperture sights anyway. (Not to brag, but I can and have outshot some scoped rifle shooters with my AR-15 Service Rifle.)

Of course, my AR is a Highpower competition rifle. So my expectations/needs were preset by what it is.

kaylorinhi
April 27, 2010, 09:39 PM
1. Grip-pod
2. P-Mag's
3. 1000 rnds of white box stuff
4. 60 rnds of Frangable(two mags)
5. 20 rnds of quality HP/SP
6. Cool Extra

+1 on the training

Mike

Palmetto-Pride
April 27, 2010, 10:34 PM

The mods I have made to mine so far
Changed the stock
Changed the pistol grip
Bought a red dot sight
Bought a good scope for long range
Installed a BAD lever from Magpul (Really helps)
Installed a bi-pod (Love shooting prone with it)

zombieslayer
April 28, 2010, 12:05 AM
I have a newer ar. My thinking is- get a thousand rounds or so af good bulk ammo, and go a bit easy on it, cleaning it after a few rounds, keeping it oiled and just check it for function and break everything in. Then get a really good red dot, a vertical foregrip of your choice, good spare mags, and maybe a trigger upgrade (depending). Just my thinking, yrmv.

amprecon
April 28, 2010, 12:25 AM
I actually never wanted an AR, in reality I despised it......at least until it was finally offered in a serious caliber such as 6.8. Even then I really wanted a piston driven AR. But nonetheless, when it finally arrives I plan to attach the rear BUIS and an Aimpoint red dot.

Quick Karl
April 28, 2010, 09:07 PM
Shoot it...

This is my AR Mark 12 clone (prior to Duracoat):
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karlar58/SPR0109-06-08.jpg

Best group I ever shot with it:
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karlar58/09SEP2008BESTSMALL.jpg

Typical 10-shot group shot without too much effort:
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karlar58/TARGET10-shotSMALL.jpg

kraigwy
April 28, 2010, 09:17 PM
I have two now, an SP1`(because is as close as I can get to the A1 I carried in Vietnam), and a White Oak Service Rifle for High Power.

My next, hopefully this summer is going to be a RACE Gun, still debating if its gonna be a 223 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

alaskaman94
April 29, 2010, 12:07 AM
1:scope
2:ammo
3:mags
4:bipod
5:another upper
6:heck its only another 180ish for another complete lower might as well make another gun
7:repeat!!!

trust me. this is how it goes....