PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Number 1

pwillie
April 22, 2010, 07:43 PM
Anyone have any experience with a "Hicks" accurizer?

fisherman66
April 22, 2010, 07:53 PM
None here. How poorly does she shoot? What year was she produced?

pwillie
April 22, 2010, 08:16 PM
The original,was purchased in a 243 in 1984,since I had a 25-06 barrel installed and punched out to a 257 Weatherby.2 inch groups @ 100 yds....

hodaka
April 22, 2010, 09:34 PM
I considered one but managed to achieve the accuracy I wanted by floating the handguard with a rubber o-ring on the handguard screw. Try it. My '06 1B shoots less than an inch now.

Fat White Boy
April 22, 2010, 10:28 PM
My shooting buddy has a Ruger 1 in .22-250. It is completely stock and very accurate. The only thing he does is hand load for it....

fisherman66
April 23, 2010, 04:19 PM
PW, are you shooting factory loads? Handloading should be able to shrink that group to what I would consider more than acceptable. My stock RSI hovers around 1" with heavy factory loads and opens up a bit with 140 grain loads. You might want to consider tweaking the forearm screw. I've heard that others have had success with snug plus half a turn. Too tight and she starts to string.

James R. Burke
April 23, 2010, 07:44 PM
I had a .416 rem mag in a Ruger No 1 Tropical. I now have a Ruger No 1A light sporter in a 30-06 with a Leupold 3x9x40mm limited edition. My wife has the same set up only in a .243 right down to the scope same weight length every thing. If you should switch you dont even know the difference till you squeze the trigger. I never done anything to any of them, except I reload. They all will shoot 1" or better five shots at 100 yards which is fine for me considering there a light sporter. I am using a 100 grain Nosler Partition in the wifes .243 and a 165 grain Nosler Partition in the 06. I was pleased with the .243 she shot a two so far and dropped them both. It dont matter what caliber you need placement or leave them walk. She let a nice buck or two go by she was not sure of the shot. Made me proud. Much better than chasing a deer around or losing it. Has far as being accurate I dont know if I got lucky or if it was the reloading. I even tryed the Hornady 110 V-Max in the 06. Very accurate, about the same at 100 yards, and five shot group 3712 f.p.s. Still under max, and no sign of presure. I figured that is fast enough and still accurate so why push it more. I dont shoot that many of those anyways. Will turn a porky pine into a red mist. Not a pelt saver. I wanted to make up a varmint load with the wifes .243 and she told me to use my own rifle. Glad I did it was and is fun to mess around with. But I started one for hers anyways.

dmazur
April 23, 2010, 11:24 PM
James R. Burke -

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a .30-06 Ruger No 1 and my wife has one in .243...and she doesn't want to hear about me "borrowing" it as a varmint rifle either. :)

Regarding the Hicks accurizer, I tried one on the .30-06 and I didn't get very good results. It didn't hurt, but it didn't do the accuracy improvement I was hoping for. I sent both out for rebarreling with Pac-Nor medium heavy profile barrels and accuracy work (bedding forend to spring hanger and receiver, trigger work) and that made a difference. 1" groups with .30-06, under 1" with .243.

I think Ruger's barrel quality isn't consistent, or their "forend pressure point" method isn't consistent.

fisherman66
April 24, 2010, 06:41 AM
dmazur, Ruger contracted with Wilson for both barrel making and finishing many years ago ending in the '90s. Their contractor turned out many overspec, long throated tubes as they would let their cutters wear more than most other barrel makers. Ruger now does all the finish chambering and I believe their quality is higher.

James R. Burke
April 24, 2010, 12:43 PM
Demazur just wondering if you reload. I guess it does not matter your dong very good right now in my book. I am begining to think I may have just got lucky on mine. I hear lots or folks with them not being accurate. I wish my trigger was a little better but thats about it. I guess having good luck is better than no luck. Glad you have yours were you want it. Kind of something how we, and the wifes have the same caliber set up. Mine is really proud of hers. I wish I would have got her into it sooner. She bird hunted with me but did not like the cold. So one year she used a differnt rifle, and we got her some good clothing, and boots etc. Even had a little heater. After seeing the first deer come in that was it she was hooked. Never did use the heater. I new she would like it once we got her past the cold. She did not get a deer that year, but the next year with "her" brand new rifle she shot a two and got them both. One a buck, double lung pass thru. Then she filled a doe permit with a neck shot. She is a very competive type person. Wish I would have had her for a partner deer hunting long ago. But never to late. Good luck to you, and glad your rifles are shooting good. Like I said that is great grouping in my book.

dmazur
April 24, 2010, 11:42 PM
Yes, I reload. I'm happy with Hornady 150gr / 95gr SST's (in .30-06 and .243 resp) with Varget for both.

I confess that I didn't have time to work up loads for these before hunting season was upon us, but I intend to at least see if seating just off the lands will improve things any before next season.

We had a chance to sight in the weekend before we left for eastern Washington and the handloads I had on hand seemed to work fine. So, I guess that's my share of luck.

Back to the Hicks Accurizer, I had read numerous accounts of improvement, and it certainly seemed worth trying. And just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for anyone.

Until the rifles came back and we had a chance to shoot them, I wasn't sure that barrel replacement / forend work would solve the problem. Big sigh of relief when it did.

Slowshot
April 25, 2010, 02:30 AM
I have a Ruger No. 1 heavy barrel Varminter in 220 Swift. I also tried the rubber o-ring fix mentioned by hodaka. My 100 yard groups immediately tightened up. Though it is too soon to tell how consistent it will be, I recently fired two consecutive sub 1/2" five shot groups at 100 yards. I made the rubber ring from a piece of a motorcycle tire inner tube. Talk about a cheap fix that works!

Slowshot
November 3, 2010, 11:28 PM
I was considering sending my rubber donut accurized Ruger No. 1 220 Swift to a company that re-barrels and accurizes Ruger No. 1s in any cartridge you choose. Then I went out last week to my club range and shot a 3 shot group at 200 yards, with one shot nearly dead center, the second shot within 1/2" and the third shot at the edge of the orange stick on target dot.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/donhoneycutt/200Yard220Swift.jpg

Why, you might ask, did I shoot only one group and only a three shot group? Well, I had fired almost all of the load I was testing and having a lot of difficulty with parallax. The fact is this was my first trip to the 200 yard range with the Ruger and my brain did not seem to realize that no amount of fine tuning my AO Scope at the 100 yard setting was ever going to fix the problem. So I had nearly run out of ammunition before I realized my error and corrected my parallax setting to 200 yards.

After a few ranging shots, I fired my last three rounds for effect. Though I was using my excellent Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40mm scope, it was difficult to see exactly where my shots had gone. One seemed to have missed the target completely. Only when I made the long walk up to the target did I see what I had achieved. The shot that I had believed missed the target was actually directly on the black diamond at the center of the orange target sticker I was aiming at.

So, I don't think the rifle needs any work right now but I sure do!