PDA

View Full Version : Why do you own/want a so-called battle/assault rifle?

L_Killkenny
April 22, 2010, 01:39 PM
This is not meant to be a slam but more of an educational thread. Many feel the only people that own or want a battle/assault rifles are looking for armageddon or are military wanna-be's. To be honest, I can feel that way myself and I'm sure some out there are that type. Let's face it, for just about any civilian purpose out there other guns will fill the role better than any battle/assault rifle. But I'm sure many of you own them for perfectly legit reasons. So let the poll begin:

flight954
April 22, 2010, 01:50 PM
Because I can:D

moddek
April 22, 2010, 01:51 PM
I know my father own a m44, a sks, and a ak. he doesnt shoot them that much but owns them more for their historical value... he also likes to collect old artillery shells and such

TMUSCLE1
April 22, 2010, 02:02 PM
I want one for both the fun/plinking aspect and the cool factor. It's legal so I'm all for it!

TSR80
April 22, 2010, 02:10 PM
I don't need a reason, it's my right.

Edit: I wouldn't vote either.

/thread

49willys
April 22, 2010, 02:11 PM
I like the history of most of them,imagining that gun in my hand may have saved some soldiers ass in some battle,or more,in a far off land,is just intriguing to me.

Noonan
April 22, 2010, 02:11 PM
All of the above

teeroux
April 22, 2010, 02:14 PM
All of the above and some.

But we don't need reasons its our right.

gunmoney
April 22, 2010, 02:22 PM
I have them for all reasons listed.

4EVERM-14
April 22, 2010, 02:24 PM
All of the above +
Service Rifle Competition

CortJestir
April 22, 2010, 02:29 PM
Aside from the mall ninja aspect (admit it, we all have a little mall ninja in us :D ), let me expand on the whole "it's our right" thing.

For me, since the days when fowling pieces and muskets were the "assault" weapons of the day, Americans have owned rifles. I see no reason to change that tradition.

In fact, I see no reason not to own a military-style rifle - they're hi-cap, reliable, and accurate enough for government work. They're fun to shoot and you can dress 'em up with all sorts of doodads, take pics of 'em, and post 'em on the Intarwebz for everyone else to ogle. What's not to love?

geetarman
April 22, 2010, 02:43 PM
Do not need a reason.:D

beardenbc
April 22, 2010, 02:46 PM
All of the above, except maybe history and war.
My mini-30's a great home defense rifle, it's pretty darn accurate for target shooting (now that I've put some mods on it), the ammo is cheap, and by God it's a phenomenal deer rifle under 200yds. Same for my PSL, except I can reach out and touch a deer past 200 with her.

azredhawk44
April 22, 2010, 02:58 PM
Let's face it, for just about any civilian purpose out there other guns will fill the role better than any battle/assault rifle.

Fudd much?

Captain Isaac Davis of the Acton militia of 1775 was a blacksmith. He deliberately equipped his musket-bearing men of his company with bayonets that he forged in his own shop, and cartridge boxes that he either made or procured himself.

This made the men of Acton the most effective of any on April 19th, 1775.

These things (bayonets and cartridge boxes) are directly parallel to machine guns and high capacity magazines.

Those same men hunted with their "assault muskets."

I hunt with my M14.

But I'm sure many of you own them for perfectly legit reasons.

To train in marksmanship.
To protect myself and my family.
To protect my community and if need be in the gravest extreme, my country.
To compete.
Because I can.
Because it's none of your, or anyone else's, business.

/thread

Indeed.

/thread

spacecoast
April 22, 2010, 03:01 PM
Because my wife won't let me get a tattoo... :D

Pahoo
April 22, 2010, 03:02 PM
For me, there are two main reasons. One has been mentioned which is the historical factor. I like the military classics like the 1911, AR's AK's, Garands, 1903A's and so on. I don't have many as I can't afford them but I like em.

Another reason, is the technology behind them. They are tough and would serve you the best, in any "situation". Just about everything that goes into them, speaks of performance. A friend once invited me to his private range and most of the guys there had HK's and AK's. At one point, my friend took an AK out of a creek bed, shook the water out and proceeded to shoot. I thought it was stupid but he made his point. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Tim R
April 22, 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm working getting at least one example of all 4 manf's of the M-1 Garand. The only non CMP/DCM rifle I will be getting is a IHC unless the CMP comes up with some. IHC is the only one not in my collection yet. I like to shoot these in the John C. Garand matches and I will lend one or all of them out to guys who don't have a M-1 to shoot these matches. I have a Springer M-1 which is about 3 parts from being WW2 correct. This rifle has the lockbar rear sights and WW2 narrow front sight.

I also shoot High Power and you need a good rifle for shooting this. I have service rifles in both 308 and 223.

Ak's and SKS's don't fit my needs, but support the right to own one.

Idempotent
April 22, 2010, 03:24 PM
Throughout history non-military folk have always wanted to get their hands on and play around with the same weapons that the military is using. It's as simple as that. Whether we're talking about the 1911, the M1 Garand, the M14, the M16, etc., civilians love it all just the same. All of that free advertising from news reports, war movies, and war TV shows doesn't hurt, either.

Plus, there are all of the former military guys who fell in love with their service firearms and want to get the civilian versions to continue playing around with even after they've left the service. Seeing as how there are many millions of former-Armed Forces folk in the United States, even if NO ONE else bought so-called assault rifles, AR-15s would still be on the bestseller lists just from all the former-Armed Forces people buying them.

kraigwy
April 22, 2010, 03:38 PM
I own two ARs, a M14 & M1, they arent "battle rifles" they are target rifles.
I have my little 642 for SD, I have my Winchester Bolt guns for hunting.

Tuzo
April 22, 2010, 03:51 PM
"I think war is coming" is an interesting response option. But which war is traveling our way? We are engaged in two concurrent wars meaning that war has arrived but not virtually on our shores.

The war on terror? That is being fought daily and I see no need for a battle rifle in my home for that.

Please do not raise the alarmist spectre of a race war. Those warnings have been around for the past 150 years with commensurate waning of dire predictions.

TMackey
April 22, 2010, 03:51 PM
Mostly because I am a citizen, not a subject. :D

TSR80
April 22, 2010, 03:53 PM
Mostly because I am a citizen, not a subject.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Subjects don't have rights and are at the mercy of their masters.

Onward Allusion
April 22, 2010, 03:59 PM
Because when you really need one, you may not be able to buy one anymore. :cool:

L_Killkenny
Why do you own/want a so-called battle/assault rifle?

Tuzo
April 22, 2010, 03:59 PM
Shot them but don't own one. The one I shot was a great shooter and a lot of fun. I have been looking for a good one for quite some time.

Will not own any weapon produced by the USSR, Kaiser's or the Fuher's Germany, and the Emperor's Japan. My family suffered too much at the hands of these nations.

Give me a good Made-in-the-USA rifle.

RT
April 22, 2010, 04:04 PM
All of the above.
Also, I really enjoy my FAL/M1A/Garand/AK-47/AK-74/AK-106/AR-15s

Valornor
April 22, 2010, 04:05 PM
I own mine for several reasons. Most of them are listed above. I'm a WW2 buff so of course I want to own and shoot anything WW2.

An A-15 is extremely versatile, I can do everything from small game, to some large game, long range target shooting, defense of home and family, it looks good, and I can do it all in one day and my shoulder isn't sore. Why not own one?

Who knows the way things are going, the next war to come to the home front might just be a civil war...oh wait was that extremist?...oops wasn't suppose to say that. :D

Tangentabacus
April 22, 2010, 06:56 PM
I am going to call "other" on this one.

As said before, it's my right to own an assault rifle. I need no reason to own and/or posses said firearm. But, let me tell you... The day I must create a reason, I will.

Anyways, on more of an attitude of the OP.

They are cool looking
They do neat stuff and make neat sounds
There is about 27593027 after market parts for my 3 assault rifles
They are really fun
Milsurp ammo!! Yay :D
O yeah, even my grandpa knows how to fix em'

Even without the "assault rifle" aspect, I have completely fallen in love with my Colt AR-15A3... It shoots where I want, rarely jams, and has more accessories than there is people on this earth.

mrawesome22
April 22, 2010, 07:14 PM
I can't stand "assault rifle". People who say that are just feeding into what the liberal media want them to say.

If I have a black brick, with an arm so fast I can throw them in rapid succession, make them "assault bricks"?

javven
April 22, 2010, 07:26 PM
The Assault Rifle for Civilians Is:

Flexible. The AR-15 platform, in particular is the swiss army knife of rifles. From heavy hitting big-bores, to personal protection to varmint hunting they excel.
Easy to maintain. Tools and equipment to maintain these arms is readily available as are people trained in their use.
Easy to operate. These arms are designed to be used under pressure, in the field. Also - quite a few of us have already been trained on one platform or another.
Reliable. The popular 'assault' rifles of today are proven in the fires of both time and battle. If I'm buying a watch, I want the one that's sold millions of copies, is reliable as the sunrise and is still in production, not the one that's sold a few thousand copies and no one seems to know much about.

As to rights and legit reasons? Short of convicted felons or anyone otherwise unable to legally own firearms, I gather we all have legit reasons. Same as I assume people driving down the street are legally eligible to drive. Those reasons are no more anyone's business than the brand of car -I- drive, the size of my left foot or what I do in my own house behind closed doors. Asking what right someone has is up there with questioning how they raise their kids. I have a lot of respect for people who can answer such questions politely.

Palmetto-Pride
April 22, 2010, 08:09 PM
What everyone else has already said plus for me out of all my guns I have the most fun shooting my AR-15 it really is just a blast to shoot. Me and some friends set up clay targets at 200 yds and have fun picking them off we even make gambling out of it $5.00 per clay.

XR750
April 22, 2010, 08:17 PM
Other. A man with a wepon is a citizen a man without a wepon is subject.

Terry A
April 22, 2010, 08:17 PM
I've never been interested in really old firearms (before 1900 or so) nor have I ever been able to get juiced up over blackpowder firearms. But assault rifles and battle rifles have so much history and lore and beauty to them! They're my favorite class of firearm, followed by the semi-auto pistols.

I still have a wish-list of 7 more assault / battle rifles to buy. They're gorgeous! And great to have for many reasons.

TRguy
April 22, 2010, 08:24 PM
I had a teacher that would always say,"There is never a dumb question."

They were wrong.

We can't own assault rifles made or produced after 1986. Those made before then (160,000 in approximate total fully automatic and all aren't assault rifles) are tightly regulated by Hussein Obama's alphabet JBTs.

Assault Rifle: An assault rifle is loosely defined as a selective fire rifle designed for combat that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.

iamkris
April 22, 2010, 08:43 PM
I just like them

http://i49.tinypic.com/1qrepv.jpg

Browning M1919A4, 7.62x51mm
Norwegian M2 tripod and DISA T&E

http://i44.tinypic.com/d6ykz.jpg

Cold War era battle rifles

CETME, 7.62x51mm
PTR91, 7.62x51mm
DSA StG58A, 7.62x51mm
DSA SA58, 7.62x51mm
Egyptian FN49, 7.92x57mm
Springfield Armory M1A Loaded, 7.62x51mm
WASR-10 AKM, , 7.62x39mm
Yugoslavian SKS M59/66, 7.62x39mm

http://i49.tinypic.com/nx28tt.jpg

AR-15 based rifles

BOHICA Mk II upper on a DPMS lower, .50BMG
J&T 24” varmint upper on DPMS lower, 5.56x45mm
CMT upper, 18” WOA barrel on AeroPrecision lower, 6.8x43mm SPC
CMT upper, 18” BCM barrel on DPMS lower, 5.56x45mm
J&T M4-gery upper on DPMS lower, 5.56x45mm
WOA DCM upper on Rock River lower, 5.56x45mm
Olympic Arms upper on DPMS lower, 9x19mm

http://i30.tinypic.com/245c6t2.jpg

New foreign girlfriends

Izhmash Saiga-12, 12 ga
CAI Golani, 5.56x45 mm (Galil clone)
MSAR XM17-E4, 5.56x45 mm (Steyr AUG-A3 clone)

johnwilliamson062
April 22, 2010, 08:53 PM
I believe in the intent of the 2nd amendment and the original militia acts. I believe it is the responsibility of every able bodied able minded US citizen to be prepared for an emergency no matter how likely or unlikely it may be.

It is about realizing how lucky you are to have what you have.

"other guns will fill the role better than any battle/assault rifle"
I think an AR style rifle is about the best thing I can imagine for prairie dog hunting and there are very few rifle hunting activities where an AR is not as good as any other rifle. The AR is a better hunting/target rifle than battle rifle in my mind.

Hawg
April 22, 2010, 09:02 PM
I dont. I've owned AK's, SKS's, Cobray's and Uzi's. Outgrew them all.

kaylorinhi
April 22, 2010, 09:06 PM
All I can think about is that IamKris has way more cool bangsticks than me, I gotta get a second job!

And My GF thinks my DPMS is "really fun to shoot" she also knows how, is willing to, and has on several occasions taken it with her while walking the dogs at night. We have a couple of Yote around here! I try to explain that my 95lb American Bulldog will do the job, but she looks so good with that little black rifle on a one-point sling!!

NWCP
April 22, 2010, 11:58 PM
Do we really need a reason? I collect rifles and pistols that interest me. Some happen to be battle rifles. None are technically assault rifles they are semi automatic only. The mall ninja garbage doesn't come into play with any of my weapons and I find no need for all the whistles and bells that festoon a lot of the guns out there today. I find the KISS principle to be very relevant when it comes to firearms. The less that can go wrong the better off you are. JMHO

Pathfinder45
April 23, 2010, 12:45 AM
When I can afford an AK I'll get a .30-30 Winchester instead. When I can afford an M1A I'll be able to get a .33 WCF instead. I wouldn't mind having a 1903A3 at all; but I've got other priorities. I haven't the slightest interest in m-16/Ar-15's or their derivatives. My shooting buddy has all those toys and that's OK with me. I'll even shoot them a little to be polite. I do think that ordinary citizens should be allowed to own whatever is the standard U.S. Service rifle and pistol and comparable arms. Just because I don't prefer military rifles doesn't mean others shouldn't have them. I am troubled by this statement: Mostly because I am a citizen, not a subject. What troubles me about it is that inspite of the fact that I was born an American citizen, I am SUBJECT to five different income taxes plus I am required to be licensed, bonded, and insured before I even write an estimate for work. Even though I live in the U.S., I can't honestly say that I am not a subject. At least I can still go fishing. Oh, wait a minute; I need to get a new license! Land-of-the-Free, it used to be!

Buzzcook
April 23, 2010, 02:01 AM
The biggest reason I got my first surplus rifle was cost. In the early seventies Mausers and Springfields were as inexpensive as Mosins were three years ago. Carcanos and Arisaka were even less expensive.

Another consideration was ammo costs. Surplus .30-06 cheap enough that lunch money would buy us enough to shoot most of the day.

But the reason you got a cheap gun with cheap ammo was to shoot it a lot, because shooting is fun.

Firepower!
April 23, 2010, 03:21 AM
I voted other. Self and home defense against rogue elements. Plus the collection factor.

okgunman
April 23, 2010, 03:30 AM
Because I can :cool:

and... I think completely obliterating stuff would be fun!

Novalondon
April 23, 2010, 04:46 AM
Because I am a Battle Rifle Restoration & Sales business and I need you to buy them because you can and will.
BUT mostly because we are all allowed to own, collect and or shoot them in the free states left in this grand ole U.S.A......:cool:

CajunBass
April 23, 2010, 04:57 AM
I had to do something with my C&R when I got it.

dussandr
April 23, 2010, 04:59 AM
Home defense is my biggest reason, although I've enjoyed shooting since I was a kid.
Here in SE TX, we've had several hurricane evacuations the past 5 years or so. If you decide to stay, you're on your own- you cannot count on police to come help you. Looters are rare, as they are dealt with very harshly by citizens and by law enforcement, but it does happen. And looters travel in packs, so 5 or 6 rounds of buckshot suddenly seem inadequate when you're facing potentially 3 or more looters. 30 rounds of .223 or 7.62 are a lot more comforting.

taylorce1
April 23, 2010, 09:17 AM
I used to own a DPMS AP4, loved shooting that rifle hated feeding it. I bought it because I'm in the Army Reserves and at that time was only shooting at the range for qualification about every 18 months. I wasn't getting the qualification scores I'd like to get, when I was active duty and an 11B I qualified Expert. In the Reserves I'm an 88M and when my scores dropped down from Sharpshooter to Marksman I decided I needed to shoot more and bought my AR-15.

When I would go practice a few times before I had to qualify my scores really improved. Now I consistantly shoot Sharpshooter again with scores around 34 out of 40 somtimes I still sneak an expert in there, but we qualify more times a year now since 2003 when all the big mobilizations kicked off. I didn't need to practice as much anymore on my own. Buying ammunition for my AR kept me from buying a lot of other stuff, plus the time I was spending reloading it on a single stage press just wasn't worth it to me.

When I saw the prices skyrocketing after Obama got elected I put my AR on Gunbroker. Sold it for more money than I paid for it when it was new. Sold all my Wolf ammo as well and got three times what I paid for 1K rounds when I first bought it for just 500 rounds.

I still have a Colt AR-15 in an M4 clone but I don't shoot it hardly at all. But I own it because I can and it is my right to do so. I'm not big into the black rifles and don't like all the attachments that you can put on them. Coming from an Airborne Infantry background all that stuff has to be carried and anywhere I can cut weight I will.

nefprotector
April 23, 2010, 11:01 AM
+1 on because I can!

rattletrap1970
April 23, 2010, 11:24 AM
I like them for the looks, but I like them more out of curiosity. I like to find a milsurp in really good shape, clean it up well, make sure it's tuned properly, load up some really good ammo and see just how well the 'ole girl actually shoots. You always hear about the snipers and marksmen but you never really hear how well the average issued battle rifle really performs. As a mechanical designer, the idea of designing and building something in the quantities that were involved and putting them through what they went through and they are still effective, collectible and accurate is a true testament to those who designed them, built them, and cared for them while in use.

FrankenMauser
April 23, 2010, 12:12 PM
Each rifle has its own strong points, and features that appeal to the owner.

Many of the rugged features of military rifles are perfect for certain hunting situations.

For example: My SKS is my go-to all-weather brush gun for big game. Weather won't hurt it. It's an early Russian, so it's dead-nuts reliable. I get semi-auto for quick, successive shots. I get a fairly compact package; easy to move through the brush with. I can load it with stripper clips (though, I've never fired enough shots to require it). And, I don't have to worry about it getting scratched.

Plus... If you can get your hands on some of the surplus, steel-core, soft point "hunting rounds" - you've got a projectile that acts like a Ballistic Tip and a TSX, at the same time.

SVO
April 23, 2010, 12:22 PM
I watched too much "Combat" and "Rat Patrol" on TV as a kid.

5thShock
April 23, 2010, 01:20 PM
The Romanian SAR 1 for 300 bucks was just too reasonable to pass up for an armedcitizeninafreerepublic (other in the poll) rifle.

Skans
April 23, 2010, 01:31 PM
Because:

1. Cool factor
2. Plinking
3. I think a war is coming
4. Self defense
5. Defense against foreign terrorists
6. Defense against domestic terrorists
7. I like to fondle them.
8. Anti-gunners don't like them....and I don't like anti-gunners
9. I have room in my safe for one....or two....or maybe I need a new safe.
10. They will appreciate in value and I'll be a millionair if Obama gets re-elected.
11. They look just like machineguns, and anti-gunner experts swear that they can be made into full-auto machineguns with rubberbands and cardobard.:D

thallub
April 23, 2010, 03:42 PM
Because i can.

Webleymkv
April 23, 2010, 04:15 PM
A variety of reasons. My bolt-action battle rifles (M44, K31, Carcano M91 Cavalry Carbine) are owned because of their history, my semi-automatic battle rifle (FN-49) just because I like the look of it, and my black rifle (converted Saiga 223) because it fills a hole in my collection and because it makes a good home-defense rifle.

Dave R
April 23, 2010, 04:57 PM
If the poll allowed multiple selections, I would vote.

I own an AR that is a dedicated varmit gun. And a fine one.

Others are for history, because I can, and one is a dedicated SHTF gun.

stubbicatt
April 23, 2010, 04:57 PM
Quite simply put, I can own one, so I do. :)

Tangentabacus
April 23, 2010, 05:31 PM
11. They look just like machineguns, and anti-gunner experts swear that they can be made into full-auto machineguns with rubberbands and cardobard.

Someone hasn't tinkered with an AK-47 before. :rolleyes:

While we are on the subject, I really wish that people would learn some common sense about the danger of guns.

Then again, I haven't recently seen anyone rob a bank with rocks and sticks.

stevelyn
April 23, 2010, 06:26 PM
Just 'cuz.........

chuckles
April 23, 2010, 06:30 PM
Other, because i still can.

RockyMtnTactical
April 23, 2010, 06:31 PM
You sound like a troll but I will indulge you.

I didn't find my primary reason on your list so I didn't vote. I don't know if war is coming, but I own firearms, and I own AR15's and other similar weapons because the 2nd Amendment was created so that there was another form of checks and balances. It's the American way and every red blooded American should own them.

hoytinak
April 23, 2010, 06:34 PM
So I'll be ready for when the SHTF. :)

Actually the only assault rifle I have is my M16 and it doesn't really get shot much and when it does, most the time it's on semi anyways. Other than that is my Mini-14 and it does get shot quite a bit and it's really my dedicated SHTF rifle.

RedneckFur
April 23, 2010, 06:48 PM
My first ever "assault-style" rifle was a Chinese SKS that my father gave me when I was a teen. Back then 7.62x39 ammo was cheap, and it was an easy and very fun rifle to shoot. I've still got the rifle and its still one of my favorites.

My second assault-style rifle was an AK47. I'd always wanted one, but I wanted a good one. I ended up buying a Saiga sporter and building my own. Part of the fun of that rifle was buying the parts and a dremel tool and making the gun myself. I learned alot about the AK47, its inner workings, and its history in the process. I ended up with a real Russian AK type rifle for less than $400, and its a pleasure to shoot.

I dont plan on going to war anytime in the future, and I've got dedicated hunting rifles. I own assault-style rifles because of their history, cool factor, and the fact that they're just plain fun to shoot.

Eventually I'd like to add an AR to my collection, and if possible an M-14/M1A1

detrod
April 23, 2010, 06:59 PM
I own an AR, AK,SKS and a Mosin for 3 good reasons. God above, a free country(so far) and the Second Ammendment to the Constitution.

NYMarksman
April 23, 2010, 07:49 PM
Why do you own/want a so-called battle/assault rifle?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not meant to be a slam but more of an educational thread. Many feel the only people that own or want a battle/assault rifles are looking for armageddon or are military wanna-be's. To be honest, I can feel that way myself and I'm sure some out there are that type. Let's face it, for just about any civilian purpose out there other guns will fill the role better than any battle/assault rifle. But I'm sure many of you own them for perfectly legit reasons. So let the poll begin:

Although you started your thread by stating it isn't meant to be a slam I find that a lot of your own words seem to do just that. First off The term Assault rifle is so often misused in this society that anyone who owns a semi auto rifle is considered to have an assault weapon which couldn't be farther from the truth. I am so fed up with the uneducated masses looking down on those of us who have semi auto's as some type of war mongers or militants just waiting for an excuse to go out and shoot someone. The media and liberals have labled anyone who owns a firearm as some type of deviate and your question and the way it is phrased only furthers that stereotype.

Many of us who own AR style rifles were in the military and grew to appreciate that particular type weapon are not military wanna-be's or wackos who envision ourselves as Rambo. I believe that not only do we have the right to own such weapons but have an actual responsibility to insure that our freedoms and security are protected frrom foreign or domestic threats. It's as if a man (or woman) in the armed forces who carries a weapon are considered patriots yet for a civilian to own one we are branded as dangerous threats to the public.

As far as which rifle will fill the which purpose, that should be always left up to the individuals choice. Some people perfer bolt actions and some like semi autos, they are all legitimate choices and the day that someon other then ourseves gets to make that choice we might as well all consider ourselves subjects of those making the choices and no longer free men.

The founders specifically stated over and over again that one of our most important rights was that of owning arms and whether a musket or an AR15 it does not matter as long as the gun owner is proficient in its use and uses it for lawful purposes including home defense.

I don't mean to seem angered by your poll but I find this a non productive subject that only gives further fodder to anti gun fanatics who love to find more things to bash gun owners about.

Bamashooter
April 23, 2010, 08:28 PM
+1 nymarksman...

gotigers
April 23, 2010, 09:09 PM
poll needed

all of the above

tirod
April 23, 2010, 09:45 PM
Let's face it, for just about any civilian purpose out there other guns will fill the role better than any battle/assault rifle.

I've owned one since I was out of the house and could make my own decisions about my life. I'm building an AR precisely because this statement is patently false and a misleading lie.

For any civilian purpose, a battle/assault rifle will do a better job. It's been the plain and obvious history of the firearms market that after every war, most of the surplus arms are sold to the public, which clamors for the advanced designs that would not be affordable to the individual buyer. Each and every advance in firearms development has always been adopted for military use, made reasonable in cost, and handed down to the next generation to improve.

Why not buy the advanced version the military uses, rather than the costly and traditional relics of a gun industry mired in the past -especially one in which only the elite were allowed firearms?

For the last two hundred years, we have leaped forward in concepts. From muzzle loader flintlocks, to cap locks, metallic cartridge breech loaders to repeaters, from bolt action blackpowder to smokeless, tube magazine fed to detachable, shotgun to full automatic, hand operated to gas.

Were we to say the same about automobiles racing cars, it would become illegal to use synchromesh transmissions, disc brakes, power assist, supercharging,fuel injection, or electric start. After all, for any civilian purpose out there, cars without them would do as well - like the Model T.

Perhaps we'd all be better off living like our ancestors in the 1400's, pledge out allegiance to the Taliban, and pray we can raise enough food from plowing out one furrow at a time.

Any civilian purpose? Who decides what will be legal, me as a citizen united with others, or a powerful elite imposed to decide for me? It's exactly the purpose why I should have an "assault rifle" - as the last and final check against the usurpations of despots who would rule without my consent.

Any civilian purpose? Just reach out for that limb, Pollyanna, and see what happens when you try. It's always a rude awakening to find yourself powerless to resist.

44-40
April 24, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have been collecting firearms all my life, from a to z, never was interested in the so-called black rifles until the clintons said I couldn't have one, That REALLY ****** ME OFF.Who better than a citizen to have the best battle rifle??? Sad thing is the nitwit we have now makes the clintons look good!! Is that the plan?

Chris_B
April 24, 2010, 10:00 AM
Let's face it, for just about any civilian purpose out there other guns will fill the role better than any battle/assault rifle. But I'm sure many of you own them for perfectly legit reasons. So let the poll begin:

Excuse me.

What exactly is "any civilian purpose"?

And what do you mean by immediately contrasting that with "But I'm sure many of you own them for perfectly legit reasons"? The implication is that there IS no "legitimate reason" to own a "so-called battle rifle"

Your lines of reasoning are exactly the same as "Let's face it, a 1987 Honda Accord can get you to work and back better than any Corvette or Ferrari". That's nonsense reasoning, and rationalizing that civilians have no need for certain things. My opinion is that you don't know it, but you are a gun control advocate

How's this:

I can legally own a real battle rifle, not a so-called one, in my City: an M1 rifle. It's a powerful firearm that holds eight rounds in an internal magazine

I cannot legally own a Ruger 10-22 rifle in this same City because it can accept a magazine greater than ten rounds

How do "legitimate reasons" and "civilian purposes" even come to the table in real-world instances of why people own a certain firearm? The answer is: by rationalizing reasons for gun control. "Facing" the "fact" that there is no "civilian purpose" for any firearm is the first step to another redundant law about firearms :mad:

I didn't vote in this poll

pinetree
April 24, 2010, 10:09 AM
Other - because I would select yes for many of the reasons listed. Limiting my comments to semi-autos, I have and M1 Carbine and an AR. Home and farm protection rank high. The M1C is historically cool and fun to shoot. It is light handy and makes a great HD gun with 110SPs. The AR is fun to dress up and shoots very well. Both are SHTF guns as is my Mauser.

Can't own a 10/22, that stinks! Was at the club yesterday and the most fun of the day was my Ruger 10/22. 4 different loads shot at 50 and 100 yards. Very fun and inexpensive to shoot.

Chris_B
April 24, 2010, 10:23 AM
You said it, Pinetree, stinks is the word for it! It's also a stupid thing for the city to do and illustrates complete ignorance of the subject they make rules about

rodwhaincamo
April 24, 2010, 10:34 AM
I voted other. 3 main reasons I would like to own an "assault" type rifle.
1) In the event of a major disaster, such as Katrina, in which you are on your own for an unknown length of time.
2) In the event of a crazy riot, such as what happened in LA, in which, once again, you are on your own for an unknown length of time.
3) For putting a serious hurting on the coyote, feral hog, and varmint population.
It would be good to have some familiarization w/ the common military weapon were we to go into a full scale war.
But this is the lowest on my list of wants. First is the single-shot T/C Encore.

jeepstrapped
April 24, 2010, 10:37 AM
History
Fun/Plinking
Target Shooting
Cool Factor
Hunting/varmint control
Other

And, they are fun. I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and an SKS. Price was a large factor, picked both of them up for $100. I am taking the 91/30 hunting this fall, debating on whether or not to mount a scope on the rear leaf site or just use open sights.

TXGunNut
April 24, 2010, 10:59 AM
I'm joining the "don't like OP's tone" club. All, any or none may describe me but like many of you almost every type of firearm fascinates me and even a small comprehensive collection isn't complete without at least one example, maybe more. Justification by "legit reasons" could eliminate any of my firearms if we accept the premise that a "legit reason" is necessary and allow someone else to define these "legit reasons". Given my present marital status and residence in a free state if I want to own an 1873 Springfield battle rifle I don't need a reason any more than I need a reason to own an M&P15.

Inspector3711
April 24, 2010, 11:04 AM
My first was an SKS. I'm intrigued by history which was my main reason for wanting it. I recently got an AR. I wasn't looking for one but I was offered one for a price I couldn't refuse.

I suppose somewhere in the back of my mind I figure they'll be nice to have if our society craps out or if there is a natural disaster.

For home defense I'd grab the shotgun first so that's not a reason for me.

tju1973
April 24, 2010, 11:58 AM
I voted "I think was is coming" not because I do, but because I am a smart *ss..that being said, I bought it for 1)fun 2) self defense 3) it looks cool 4) its fun to shoot and 5) War is coming...:p

Pathfinder45
April 24, 2010, 12:31 PM
......if this keeps up I just might have to get one too.....;) After all, it IS the American thing to do. Anti-gun is anti-American.

11Z5P
April 24, 2010, 02:12 PM
I own a M-4 clone because I carried a Car 15 and M16 as and Army Infantryman for 23 years. I am not a hunter (I am pro hunting and I appreciate the fact that you hunters provide a valuable service, to the rest of us in controlling animal populations, I think that you should not have to pay for your licenses, and in fact should get a stipend). I want to protect myself from home invaders. My pistols are great, but when you come down to it, I like my rifle with the Horneday polymer tipped self-defense rounds.

Most of all I just like guns and I like all of mine. I have a right to own them and I do.

PS For me the right of self and family defense is a God given right. I recognize no terrestial authority that says I can't.

inSight-NEO
April 24, 2010, 02:32 PM
I voted "other" as pretty much all of the available options apply, minus the whole "war" and/or "hunting" thing.

rab
April 24, 2010, 03:22 PM
I do however, own a semi-automatic AR-15 with a 16" barrell. It has detachable 30 round mags.
I have it for home-defense and fun.

mathman
April 24, 2010, 06:11 PM
I don't own one and don't want one...you forgot that as an option.

This about nails it for me...a 30-30 serves my purposes and most others' purposes better...even if they don't realize it. But, as many have said, you don't need a reason...it is your right.

Come and take it.
April 24, 2010, 06:15 PM
I feel inadequate.:rolleyes:

rdmallory
April 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
How about ....

One for varmint hunting
One for plinking target shooting
One for cool factor

One for .........

Doug:)

P5 Guy
April 24, 2010, 09:08 PM
All of the above!:D

Willie D
April 24, 2010, 09:21 PM
Wait, war is coming?

Guess I'd better sell my guns and buy a boat...

Palmetto-Pride
April 24, 2010, 09:56 PM

Let's face it that statement is your opinion and not a fact.

In fact my opinion is that any battle/assault rifle will serve me better for my "civilian purposes" = self defense, hunting, target shooting. You decide whats better for you and I will decide whats better for me.......:)

BillCA
April 24, 2010, 10:16 PM
I watched too much "Combat" and "Rat Patrol" on TV as a kid.
+1 on that!

Seriously, being prepared for the once in a lifetime kind of disaster or event in which one might be needed. Anything from a natural disaster to a political upheaval might call upon us - ordinary citizens - to restore order and/or constitutional principles. I've been through three seriously major 'quakes in California in my lifetime, the strongest of which was 1/10th that of 1906. Being prepared to defend myself, family and neighbors afterwards is an obligation to community. Defending my country is another obligation I owe to those who fought to keep us free.

Could I use a "sporting rifle" for these purposes? Probably. But I elect to use something more efficient and appropriate for the task.

tirod
April 24, 2010, 10:20 PM
a 30-30 serves my purposes and most others' purposes better...even if they don't realize it.

My first rifle was an HK91 I bought in 1978. I presently own a Winchester 94 Saddle Ring Carbine in .30-30.

What I didn't realize is that it was entirely superior to any other firearm with detachable magazine, semi auto gas action, a multi purpose sight rail, pistol grip, separate safety that remains on while loading and charging the weapon, doesn't cause trees to be cut down for their ornamental wood, and can be made of recycled beer cans. I guess I was just to stupid to understand.

Better yet, I'm too stupid to understand that as a civilian I can't ever need the advanced properties and superior tactics that a rifle like the AR has to offer.

Two college degrees, made Captain in the Infantry, qualified in Ordnance as an ammo handler, served as an MP guarding terrorists in the wire, but I'm too stupid to understand.

Beginning to see what was said? "Don't realize it?" It's just a bit insulting, or doesn't someone realize it?

A lot people who would whine to high heaven over losing their a/c, cell phones, and satellite seem to have no problem telling others what they don't need - or don't they realize it?

Anyone who is willing to give away the rights of others is the problem, or don't they realize it?

Ask the people in Germany who wouldn't stand up for minorities being marched off to death camps. They finally realized it when it was their turn. Most assuredly, we either hang together, or we will hang separately.

It seems some don't realize it.

TRguy
April 24, 2010, 10:55 PM
Damn Tirod, Love it. hit the nail on the head. If all gun owners banned together whether you are a shot gunner, paper puncher, security guard, home defense owners, hunter, ..... one not supporting the other or understand the fundamental right is the same for all regardless of discipline.

Red_Eagle
April 24, 2010, 11:16 PM
I put "I think a war is coming", but I don't really think that. The fact is a war is already here. At least in our sister city, Juarez. It's gotten so bad the mexican army has to patrol the streets. It's only a matter of time before it spills completely acrossed the river.

Bamashooter
April 25, 2010, 12:00 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!! Tirod you are correct!! :)

mathman
April 25, 2010, 12:27 AM
Hey tirod...take it easy. You're not the only person on these forums with college degrees, etc. I didn't think anyone would take my comments so personally. If you read my comment again without taking it personal, I think you might see it differently. I never used 'stupid'.

I'm certainly impressed by your credentials and experience, but you don't have to be a captain in the infantry to appreciate the tactical advantage of an AR-15 over a 30-30.

Go ahead and pounce...I expect it.

RGR3/75
April 25, 2010, 04:18 AM
because i get free ammo, and free parts, and it's cheap to build yourself, and you can make an amazing rifle if you're not a gear queer and you know what you're doing.

Kreyzhorse
April 25, 2010, 05:30 AM
I've got three old mil-surplus rifles from the 1950s that I bought as fun plinking guns. Additionally, I love the history involved with them even if they've likely never been fired in anger.

As a bonus, mine were all bought when they could still be had on the cheap and ammo isn't too bad either.

tirod
April 25, 2010, 07:33 AM
I learned long ago that a post on the internet has to go pretty far to be a personal issue, mathman. I don't see your comment in that light.

What I read was a blanket statement many others have repeated - and which in my view seems to lack some serious consideration of the rights of others.

It's easy to give away somebody else's rights when it won't affect our lifestyle. I don't shotgun, fishing isn't my thing, if those were banned tomorrow, big deal. No interruption in my life.

I don't need a cell phone, don't text much, don't like the frequent wrong numbers, and absolutely hate voice mail. Ban them.

I don't like having to work Sundays to sell auto parts to people who don't realize they don't have a clue how to repair their car, and expect me to do it right in the parking lot. Ban Sunday sales completely. I grew up with that, it worked fine. A llttle consideration for the working man, and the money will get spent anyway, right?

I've flown on the government nickle, but I doubt I will ever volunteer to do it on my own. Air flights consume massive amounts of fuel we need for future generations. Why fly in an age of teleconferencing, fax, email, cell phones, internet cafes, and satellite? Do we really need to jet over to Dubai for a little skiing on the Persian Gulf? Ban it.

Many states on the Mason-Dixon line and further south are suffering from a feral hog population. I could go hunting with my lever action to help farmers reduce these aggressive pests capable of destroying acres of crops every night. The opportunity to shoot them seems be complicated by their numbers, cunning, nocturnal activities, and location. In a target rich environment, using a semi auto with rail mounted light, scope, high volume magazine, and having remarkably less bullet drop means using an AR. The old lever gun will not do the job.

That's the problem - some just don't realize that their personal concept of "civilian purposes" is actually pretty narrow minded. Easy to give away somebody else's rights when their own don't seem to be affected.

Completely lacking a historical perspective also leads to living through the previous disasters in history again. Ask the Brits or Aussies how their crime situations are being handled now that honest law abiding citizens can't even carry pocketknives on the way to work.

Gun bans create crime and designate victim zones where feral humans gather to hunt prey. Unfortunately, a lot of people just don't realize it.

wogpotter
April 25, 2010, 09:19 AM
I voted "other" as I think the question is biased against a self-loading rifle.
The question should be "Why would I NOT want a semi-automatic rifle"?

mathman
April 25, 2010, 09:49 AM
tirod - I'm not sure how to respond...I never even hinted at banning any type of gun. Certainly I am dead set against ANY banning of guns.

I'll try to clear things up - I feel that a lot of people, not ALL and certainly not YOU, buy an AR-15 for the cool factor, etc, when a gun like a 30-30 (or a bolt gun) would serve their uses better.

Obviously in a SHTF scenario, or when the Chinese invade, or when the gangs have taken over, etc...an AR-15 is FAR superior to a 30-30. It's not even on the same playing field (except for taking deer...which a 30-30 is arguably better).

I don't know how you extrapolated that I am in favor of banning anything.

Palmetto-Pride
April 25, 2010, 10:04 AM
not ALL and certainly not YOU, buy an AR-15 for the cool factor

"Cool Factor" alone whats whats wrong with that if that's the reason someone wants a AR-15? Hell I'll admit when I first got mine I would pull it out the safe and just look at it for a bit I still do it every now and then.....:)

badlander
April 25, 2010, 11:45 AM
Because I want to!! I am A lever action guy first. I also have A selection Of modern military arms. Different guns for different reasons. Mabye the sky is falling. I'm not sure. But I am ready!!!!:eek:

TXGunNut
April 25, 2010, 12:02 PM
Black guns are cool? I have one of the best and it's still uglier than home made sin! I guess it's one of those "eye of the beholder" things. I keep one stashed in the safe anyway, my pretty guns don't seem to mind. ;)

TXGunNut
April 25, 2010, 12:08 PM
mathman, tirod? You've been summoned to the White House to have a beer with POTUS.....Secret Service has asked that you leave your leverguns and semi-auto battle rifles at home. This meeting is about discovering common ground and recognizing that differences of opinion make civil debate interesting.

mathman
April 25, 2010, 12:35 PM
LOL!!

NYMarksman
April 25, 2010, 12:37 PM
My first rifle was an HK91 I bought in 1978. I presently own a Winchester 94 Saddle Ring Carbine in .30-30.

What I didn't realize is that it was entirely superior to any other firearm with detachable magazine, semi auto gas action, a multi purpose sight rail, pistol grip, separate safety that remains on while loading and charging the weapon, doesn't cause trees to be cut down for their ornamental wood, and can be made of recycled beer cans. I guess I was just to stupid to understand.

Better yet, I'm too stupid to understand that as a civilian I can't ever need the advanced properties and superior tactics that a rifle like the AR has to offer.

Two college degrees, made Captain in the Infantry, qualified in Ordnance as an ammo handler, served as an MP guarding terrorists in the wire, but I'm too stupid to understand.

Beginning to see what was said? "Don't realize it?" It's just a bit insulting, or doesn't someone realize it?

A lot people who would whine to high heaven over losing their a/c, cell phones, and satellite seem to have no problem telling others what they don't need - or don't they realize it?

Anyone who is willing to give away the rights of others is the problem, or don't they realize it?

Ask the people in Germany who wouldn't stand up for minorities being marched off to death camps. They finally realized it when it was their turn. Most assuredly, we either hang together, or we will hang separately.

It seems some don't realize it.

Amen and Amen again.

44 AMP
April 25, 2010, 01:00 PM
Personal choice, is all that is needed. Falls under that pesky "pursuit of happiness" thing.

If you believe in being a good citizen (and have no religious objections) its your duty to have a military grade rifle (or as close as the law will allow). Thats the intent behind the 2nd amendment. Colonial militias were not equipped by the govt. They showed up with their personaly owned arms and gear. The 2nd Amendment was to ensure that they would always be able to do that without ...infringment.

And, war is always coming. Thats human history. It may not be here now (active combat), it may not be on the visible horizon, but who can say about the future? Are we ALWAYS going to have the military and police to protect us from war on our doorsteps? Hasn't worked that way in the past.

Some people thought we would always be Crown subjects. Some people thought we would always have slavery. Some people thought we would always be safe and secure from enemy attack in our major cities. Some people think they have the right to decide what kind of personal property I own, based on their own prejudices. Or what book to read, what church to go to, or whom to marry. Like many Americans, I disagree.

And I think you ought to really learn the correct definition of the terms you use. Assault rifles are select fire. Under US law, that makes them machine guns. Assault WEAPONS are semi autos with certain cosmetic features that look like military assault rifles. That term was codified into law (at the anti's insistance) back in 94. They originally called them Semiautomatic assault weapons, but that was just too cumbersome, and not confusing enough.

I own those kinds of rifles, because I like them. I am a historical collector, recreational shooter, and former hunter (had to quit when my off road mobility declined). Those rifles will do anything and every thing a "traditional" sporting rifle in the same caliber will do. And do it as well, and be more rugged and dependable at the same time. Also their finishes are more durable. And being a collector is as "legitimate" a purpose as anything under law.

I will admit I didn't use to be all that interested in them, until our government decided to restrict them. Any time a government resticts something that it formerly did not, one should ask why? And one should prepare one's self for the answer!

zombieslayer
April 26, 2010, 03:21 PM
I own an AR because its a good versatile tool. Police agencies typically issue AR's now. I look to what law enforcement carry for my choices in defensive tools, as they have a lot more field testing and experience as to what is most efficient for fighting BG's. On the other hand, I also have a bit of sentimental atatchment, as my scoutmaster used to let us blast his AR's back when I was a kid. Another good reason to own one is that the AWB has a decent chance of re-spawning itself, at least according to the Rifleman. After seeing footage of post-Katrina chaos, having a tough, reliable, hi-cap semiauto makes sense. At least to me. Actually for me, the real question is- Why aren't reliable defensive weapons issued to law abiding citizens in every household??? Lol- just my 2cents. Interesting thread, although I do wish folks would quit using the term "assault rifle". But people have the right to say what they want, and its not said in a malicious way. Its just that the term is used in anti-gun propaganda by the other side to demonize firearms for political reasons. Just one mans opinion, though.

shafter
April 27, 2010, 04:43 PM
Why is it that if you ask about any other gun type you get a legitimate reason for the choice. As soon as someone is asked why they want an AR or an AK you get answers like "because I can" or "its my right" or "don't need a reason" and lastly " because I want one".

Grow up guys, he asked a legitimate question so give him a legitimate answer. No one is trying to take away your black rifles. At least no one one this board is.

TRguy
April 27, 2010, 06:10 PM
Shafter types - Why is it that if you ask about any other gun type you get a legitimate reason for the choice. As soon as someone is asked why they want an AR or an AK you get answers like "because I can" or "its my right" or "don't need a reason" and lastly " because I want one".
Grow up guys, he asked a legitimate question so give him a legitimate answer. No one is trying to take away your black rifles. At least no one one this board is.
:barf:

That is all the reasons needed, your opinion to me about my right or any other law abiding citizen to own anything they legally have a right to own doesn't matter to anyone but you. So maybe you need to grow up and accept others opinions at face value. They don't owe the OP or you an explanation of their answer. It's their opinion.

Palmetto-Pride
April 27, 2010, 06:31 PM
Why is it that if you ask about any other gun type you get a legitimate reason for the choice. As soon as someone is asked why they want an AR or an AK you get answers like "because I can" or "its my right" or "don't need a reason" and lastly " because I want one".

Come on man, you know dam well :eek: why the OP asked the question about ARs!!

Nobody ask why they feel the need to own a lever action rifle, bolt actions, or shotguns.....

mathman
April 27, 2010, 06:48 PM

I'm glad someone finally said it...I'm not at all interested in taking anything away. But my post was sure taken that way.

You have to try to read posts without your own personal bias getting in the way. Certainly I can see why you'd be worried about the government banning assault weapons, but some people on these forums probably legitimately want to know why you choose a military style rifle over other choices.

Perhaps it's a troll and perhaps it isn't...what does it hurt to give an honest answer?

spanishjames
April 27, 2010, 08:39 PM
I own a battle rifle for a few reasons. I like to be prepared, and while there may not be a war coming soon, it's better to have one and not need it than the reverse. It's also fun to shoot stuff. So far I've only shot at paper targets but I'd like to try plinking at cans, wood, or even fruit.
Another reason I hurried to buy my first auto loadiing rifle is because I have a feeling the powers that be will one day take away our right to buy one, or make it ridiculously difficult to purchase one. Here in the Chicago area the news outlets make it a point to highly publicize every shooting they can. It seems guns are running around killing people in the ghetto, not criminals, but guns. So get 'em while you can boys!

Ignition Override
April 27, 2010, 09:40 PM
Only classic military or mil.-styled rifles interest me, mostly those with some power, other than the old Savage .22.

Maybe too much "Combat", "Kelly's Heroes" are factors.
We were on a private tour of the E/F Company (Band of B.) foxholes and other battle sites around Bastogne, Belgium one year ago, and I plan to buy a Garand (from the CMP-not modified, gun show resales from the CMP...), partly to honor their sacrifices.

Many of us count our blessings that these older guns (my Yugo Mauser, Enfield #4/#5, SKS) are not considered chic, "gear-worthy", laser-bedecked etc.

amprecon
April 28, 2010, 01:27 AM
This is a dang good question that I don't think has been asked, well, at least not in the last 24 hours. My, my, my, isn't progress great? What is the saying? Necessity is the mother of invention? Mostly, the primary reason any thing is produced by any man is so that he may turn a profit.
If a man can produce a thing that is better than the current "thing", than he can sell alot of them and usually what he makes is better, or at least you are led to believe that.
Air conditioning, electricity, cars...available in either manual or automatic transmissions, or trucks, also available in either manual or automatic transmissions with either a regular cab or extended cab or even a crew cab. My point is that we are offered alot of options for the equipment we use for specific purposes, for some a lever action will do, for others a bolt action, they each have their attributes, strengths and weaknesses.
AFAIC, I do like a detachable magazine semi-automatic firearms, protruding pistol grip or not I'm indifferent to that option, they may be heavier, but for my perceptible uses, they are what I prefer.

MosinM38
April 28, 2010, 12:38 PM
I went "other" because it is all the above.

To me, it's the history, and they're differant.

They're decently accurate and will work for hunting. Their a good investment,etc.etc.

They're good for SHTF, or self defence...

Pretty general purpose in my opinion. Plus, if you want a semi-auto, in general the "military style" are probably a hair more reliable then civvie designs (740/etc.).

tirod
April 28, 2010, 10:56 PM
You are getting an honest answer. Telling people that their choice of firearm is largely based on "cool" comes off as being dishonest. It's a given that most firearms buyers either appreciate the functional operation and looks of it, or spend their money on something else.

If no emotional attachment or cool factor was involved in the ownership of lever guns, then why even care what somebody else shoots? If the ownership of AR's seems largely a matter of "cool," why is that a problem? It's not illegal, and it certainly isn't creating a mass of out of control zombie shooters willing to shoot up the neighborhood to satisfy their bloodlust. Lots of them are pursuing weekends long range shooting, plinking, hunting in season, or even gasp! entering into three gun competitions. All clean, safe fun, a lot safer and definitely cheaper than street racing old muscle cars on Main Street.

Most owners keep their guns locked up, the ammo locked separately, the rifle cased out of view when transported, and well taken care of.

Lever guns? In the day, my memory tells me owners prominently displayed then in truck windows where they were an attraction to thieves, often loaded, drank alcohol while hunting, spouted less than well informed opinions on most any subject when encountered, and seemed to be of the opinion that nothing could be improved on, except America, if we got rid of all the darn hippies and commies.

They carried a lever gun as a badge of honor showing they were working men who hadn't sold out to the man, weren't snobby bolt action shooters, and definitely were smart enough to know it was good enough, because it was. (Circular logic wasn't their strong point. )

Enough of them were friends and relatives, discussion on the finer points of firearms engineering and tactical use was not happening. I eventually learned not to judge a lever gun because of who owned it, but because of what it could do. All those old hunters have long passed.

The AR can do anything the lever gun can do, and do it better. It's 60 years newer in design and takes advantage of modern construction techniques, advances in ballistic science, shooting technique, and is certainly much more user maintainable, if not completely user repairable, right down to barrel and sight replacement. A resourceful owner doesn't have to pay a gunsmith to perform simple activities like changing triggers, calibers, or barrel lengths. The owner can change the furniture, grip, optics, and slings to optimize it's specific use. The lever? It is what it is, and not much you can do about it.

The problem with lever guns is that in the day, their owners didn't realize the introduction of the M16 was a major milestone in firearms design that offered superior accuracy and flexibility. The didn't realize the first smokeless powder cartridge they shot was becoming rapidly obsolete, and they didn't realize that hunting techniques would rapidly encompass so much technology that which gun was used would soon be just a small part of the experience. They didn't realize that research was showing a better caliber, better rifle, and better shooter would displace them - and that blackpowder hunters would be as potentially successful as a lever shooter.

They didn't realize their grandfathers had strong opinions on those newfangled rifles "that shot all week," and they didn't realize that time was passing them by.

We all get comfortable with what we've known for a long time, but it doesn't make it the best, just another step in progress.

freakintoguns
April 29, 2010, 12:28 AM
cause i can and their cool

mathman
April 29, 2010, 11:39 AM
OK, tirod...all points taken...moving on now.

shafter
April 29, 2010, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say that AR's have replaced leverguns with a better caliber.

rickyrick
April 29, 2010, 02:00 PM
Haven't read the entire thread so if I repeat something that someone else has said, forgive me.

Lever guns, bolt actions, muskets were all once the latest battle implements,

ARs and the like are just the newest incarnation of that tradition.

military rifles are designed to be lightweight, reliable, rugged and reasonably accurate.....coincidently, that works for sportsmen too.

BTW, I don't think a semi-auto only AR qualifies as an assault rifle, but correct me if i'm wrong.

went back and read the first page, sorry, already covered, so carry on soldiers

predator86
April 29, 2010, 02:22 PM
my reasons are all the above and then some, you forgot to put INVESTMENT in your selections, if you are handed 50grand you are better off buying ammo, mags, and "assult rifles" vs. anything else because they will all go up in value...there is no investment market out there like the gun market cuz it is always going up...

just look at prices in old catologs, and i dont mean ones from the early 90's and late 80's....try looking at last year's catalogs and it will almost make you cry..

Teirst
April 29, 2010, 03:32 PM
interesting ideas predator86

perhaps everyone should "diversify" their portfolios.

predator86
April 29, 2010, 04:22 PM
hey teirst, just imagine how different your family's life would have been if your grandad had spent 3 grand on winchester rifles back in the 40's-50's, his 3 thousand dollar investment would be worth 10 times that today...hell i bought an ak at an estate auction and 2 months later i sold it for 200 more than i had into it....

hillmillenia
April 29, 2010, 09:57 PM
They're fun and suitable for anything that may arise...I shoot at the range with guys that have 10,000 dollar custom built bolt-action target rifles...hell the scopes cost 3-times as much as my AR-15 and they're putting a 600 yard shot into a 3" ring with some crazy wildcat round that you'd never find off the shelf...looks like a fun sport...I can hit a 8" plate at 300 yards most of the time with iron sights if I do my part...I'm good with that! :rolleyes:

Lancel
April 29, 2010, 11:05 PM
Thinking that other guns will fill the role better is a narrow, limited, viewpoint.

Since other types of guns have been used for battle in their time, what some people call battle/assault rifle is short sighted. Today's "battle rifle" is tomorrow's quaint hobby.

I voted "other" since all my rifles are used "for all legal purposes" regardless of action, color, or capacity.

Larry

JSmith723
April 30, 2010, 07:56 AM
Why do I want a battle rifle?

Well... I don't, really, because that sort of firearm doesn't represent a good investment of my gun money. Here's why.

I'm a long-time handgunner who lives in an urban residential neighborhood: houses with large yards set fairly close together, lots of trees and shrubbery. I've decided at long last to get a rifle this summer (because I want one, dammit!) and I'm going with a Mini-14 in the Ranch Rifle configuration.

My thinking is: 1) I'll never see a shot over 75 yards at the absolute outside; the real outer bound is probably more like 50. My brother-in-law shoots PALMA and drives a couple of hours each way to do it, but he's single and has no other demands on his time. I'd get to shoot a rifle like that once or twice a year if I got real lucky, and from a defensive standpoint I'll never see a target 300 yards away. There's nothing anywhere around me that's 300 yards away.

2) The AR models I've looked at are certainly functional, but let's face it: they are not aesthetically pleasing. And I like firearms that look good: the handgun I've settled down with after 25 years is a Series-70 Colt .45 Government Model: blue steel, rosewood grips, it's a beautiful piece of work. The bro-in-law mentioned previously has a Glock in .45; it's one of the ugliest pistols I've ever seen (and I can't hit anything with it either: there's just something wierd about the sights on that thing.)

So I'm going with the intermediate-caliber carbine because that's going to be the most efficient use of the several hundred bucks I have to spend on a rifle.

Thing is, as shooters we all have our individual wants and needs. If you want a full-on battle rifle go for it. If my circumstances were different I'd probaby want one too. But in my actual life, something like that would just be one more thing to dust.

ssblair
April 30, 2010, 10:46 AM
I too am a bit bothered by the OP's tone in his question--seems leading to me. I also agree with other postings that the OP is misinformed about what an "assault rifle" is, and considering the misinformation being fed to the public on the topic, I am offended that somebody that's a veteran of this board would perpetuate such misinformation.

That said, it is a simple fact that military firearms are the best balance of accuracy, portability, reliability, and effectiveness in a firearm. Add to that the availability of relatively cheap surplus ammunition, interchangeable replacement parts, and people skilled in their repair makes these firearms economically the most rational choice of firearm to own.

Firearms are designed for killing things efficiently, but they aren't the only things used for that purpose, nor is that the only--or even the prevalent--purpose they are used for. Oftentimes a firearm serves a purpose of preventing violence just by the mere knowledge that somebody nearby has one.

As a side note: I think it needs to be better reinforced that the use of firearms for "personal/home defense" is not just about aggressors of the bipedal variety--there are plenty of quadriped animals in this world that would think humans (or their pets or livestock) would make for an easy, quick, and tasty meal if they didnt have a means of armed defense. We may not have claws, fangs, blazing speed, or a thick and spikey hide, but we DO have opposable thumbs to disengage the safety! ;)

sc928porsche
April 30, 2010, 10:55 AM
It gives me something to tinker with and customize.

FyredUp
April 30, 2010, 02:50 PM
There is no more need for a gun owner to defend or explain his deisre to own and shoot firearms of any kind than there is for any other enthusiast to explain their passion for their hobby.

I always ask people that say to me why do I need guns things like why do you need a 4 wheel drive truck, or a snow mobile, or a boat, or a 4000 square foot home, or motorcycles, or big screen TV's, motor homes, classic cars or whatever. They say that's not the same and I say it is exactly the same. While I will not interfere with your wants and hobbies you presume to take mine away from me.

Jo6pak
September 6, 2010, 03:36 PM
Because they are the sports cars of the gun world.:cool:

I don't truly believe that someday I will wake up and have grab my DR200 to fight off tyrants, hordes of criminals, or zombies. But I have it if I need it.

I own most of my guns because they are fun to shoot. And the semi-auto evil black assault rifle types are among the most fun.

lefteyedom
September 7, 2010, 02:01 AM
Because I can

CPTMurdoc30
September 7, 2010, 02:23 AM
Because no matter what you want to believe the zombies are coming. Great giant hords of zombies are coming. A bolt gun with 5 rounds of capacity is not going to cut it.

Rule #2 DOUBLE TAP NOW ain't the time to be stingy wit your bullets.

Oh wait Because I wanted one. Plus most bolt action varmint rifle once you outfit them come in at #13+ pounds. So I wanted a slightly lighter package where I didn't have to keep going back to the truck for ammo. I load 1 20 rnd pmag and slap it home then load 1 20 pmag and put it in my back pocket and head off into the field for a rouugh and tumble time with ZOMBIE ground hogs.

By Zombies I don't mean movie zombies. I mean unwanted people in mass trying to get and take what is mine.

kd7sgm
September 7, 2010, 06:21 AM
They are very enjoyable to shoot.

latch
September 7, 2010, 06:48 AM
They are fun to shoot. You can find reasonable ammo and they aree fun to customize.

thesheepdog
September 7, 2010, 08:47 AM
Because I want terrorism to fear the American Rifleman.

Mark
September 7, 2010, 10:02 AM
Because I am an American and it is my birthright. Every able bodied male citizen is part of the militia as intended by our Founding Fathers. We should all know how to operate, clean, and maintain the current military small arms. Further, militia are required to provide their own weapons. We should be using a modern rifle compatible with and similar to our military's small arms. That way if we would ever be called up, we could use the same ammunition and parts. Barring that we at least are already familiar with and can competently use the current military issue.

Legionnaire
September 7, 2010, 10:18 AM
Mostly because I am a citizen, not a subject.
This.

Snuffy308
September 7, 2010, 10:38 AM
I don't own an assault rifle but I do own an NFA firearm (a sub gun). Would like to own an assault rifle but they are prohibitively expensive (and expensive to feed). Will just have to do with numerous semi-auto rifles at this time.

cw_mi
September 7, 2010, 10:48 AM
Not really being a rifle guy I never had a desire to own one, that being said I do think they are cool looking. Well about two years ago I end up with a nice M4 style 16" barrel flat top that I got in on trade. So I figure I'll give it a try and see what these things are all about. I took it to the range , completely sucked with it but liked the challenge. I've since improved my accuracy and have gotten hooked on the whole AR thing. I'm the type of person that can't leave anything stock so all the accessories and things you can do is right up my alley. I don't have a race car or offshore boat anymore, and the sleds and ATV's are all dialed in so I'm kind of bored and these AR's satisfiy my need to "tinker" I'm on my third one right now, still have not done a complete build but am slowly working my way to it. Maybe by my fourth one I'll do a complete. Why do I need a so called assault rifle ... well I don't really, and I don't need 3 or 4 of them either but they are kind of a hobby right now and they are fun to shoot.

Rifleman1776
September 7, 2010, 11:00 AM
Almost all of our popular guns were either formerly military arms or are descendants of them.
My favorite rifle is a (modern built, 1970s) Revolutionary style transitional flintlock longrifle. Used by the Rev. rifleman it was, at the time an assault rifle as some would define it.
The current interest in the M16 and derivatives is simply history moving on.
Personally, I don't see a use for them and have no desire for them.
But, try to take away the right to own one and I will find a use for them right quick.

4406v
September 7, 2010, 11:22 AM
I want to exercise my RIGHT to own one.It's the same reason I have a 500 horsepower engine in my car "because I can".

Father Time
September 7, 2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah.. "all of the above" needs to be an option.

Palmetto-Pride
September 7, 2010, 12:11 PM
Since this thread has kind of taken a "Gun Rights" theme. For it me I have to say not only are they just about as fun as gun as I have ever shot, but anyone that thinks for one second that our gun rights arent hanging on by a thread really needs to wake up and pay attention to whats going on in this country. If you think that our current president wouldn't like to ban all guns and ammo you just need to look at his voting record and comments about gun rights.

KChen986
September 7, 2010, 02:48 PM
For me, a military style, higher capacity weapon is an effective means of dealing with threats to my personal safety. A military style carbine is more effective than an average pistol--higher capacity, more accurate, more lethal.

As for why we would ever need more effective killing implements--one only needs to remember the vivid image of Korean shop keepers posted on rooftops to prevent the Rodney King rioters from attacking their shops.

svaz
September 7, 2010, 02:59 PM
Seems to me, the EBR is the most likely rifle to be used by a militia to ensure the security of a free State. "Assault weapons" bans have always seemed the most blatantly unconstitutional to me.

gunmoney
September 7, 2010, 03:45 PM
I agree that this is turning into a gun rights argument as well. I also think that the two can not be seperate issues in today's world. I hear many justifications like "because I can" and " the second amendment says so" as bold, simple, explanations. While I don't disagree I believe the perspective of these comments are all wrong. If we read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights the language does not grant us our rights but protects them, as in they existed before the second amendment was written. Secondly, military weapons are what the founders wanted us to have because the are the failsafe and reset button to our system of government. Besides personal protection, ensuring the people's ability to arm themselves for any other reason than as a failsafe, make no logical sense at all. Think of all of the other things we do with guns, target shooting, hunting, collecting, etc., are they really reason enough to have a constitutional amendment written to guarantee them? No, of course not. The only logical explanation is to ensure the population's ability to arm themselves effectively and organize into functioning fighting forces. The notion of "because I can", to me, sounds like "because I am allowed" to. Or, that I have their permission. Unless I am missing something I should never need the governments permission for anything, especially for this. They work for us and are sworn to protect our unalienable rights, not decide which ones we are to stupid to handle or take away the ones that threaten their authority. The politicians, the FBI, and especially the ATF should be here loading my mags for me rather than telling me what objects I can and can't posses and arresting me if I don't fall in line. If they want to take my .22, fine. If they want to take my deer rifle, fine. If they want to take my bird guns, fine. But, if they want to take the guns away from me that allow me to fight them, well, just come and get them. That is why I own "assault weapons". It is my duty as an american to own weapons that I can use to defend the very rights that make the US what it is supposed to be. The very idea of the US is to protect its citizens from oppressive government. Then why should we not be allowed to protect ourselves from our own oppressive government? Why dance around the subject, this is, deep down, why most of us own "assault weapons"

thesheepdog
September 7, 2010, 03:59 PM
I agree that this is turning into a gun rights argument as well. I also think that the two can not be seperate issues in today's world. I hear many justifications like "because I can" and " the second amendment says so" as bold, simple, explanations. While I don't disagree I believe the perspective of these comments are all wrong. If we read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights the language does not grant us our rights but protects them, as in they existed before the second amendment was written. Secondly, military weapons are what the founders wanted us to have because the are the failsafe and reset button to our system of government. Besides personal protection, ensuring the people's ability to arm themselves for any other reason than as a failsafe, make no logical sense at all. Think of all of the other things we do with guns, target shooting, hunting, collecting, etc., are they really reason enough to have a constitutional amendment written to guarantee them? No, of course not. The only logical explanation is to ensure the population's ability to arm themselves effectively and organize into functioning fighting forces. The notion of "because I can", to me, sounds like "because I am allowed" to. Or, that I have their permission. Unless I am missing something I should never need the governments permission for anything, especially for this. They work for us and are sworn to protect our unalienable rights, not decide which ones we are to stupid to handle or take away the ones that threaten their authority. The politicians, the FBI, and especially the ATF should be here loading my mags for me rather than telling me what objects I can and can't posses and arresting me if I don't fall in line. If they want to take my .22, fine. If they want to take my deer rifle, fine. If they want to take my bird guns, fine. But, if they want to take the guns away from me that allow me to fight them, well, just come and get them. That is why I own "assault weapons". It is my duty as an american to own weapons that I can use to defend the very rights that make the US what it is supposed to be. The very idea of the US is to protect its citizens from oppressive government. Then why should we not be allowed to protect ourselves from our own oppressive government? Why dance around the subject, this is, deep down, why most of us own "assault weapons"

Agreed.

Edward429451
September 7, 2010, 04:35 PM
Cause and effect. :)

Left to my own devices I can see my collection drifting backwards in time, SA Revolvers and now a LA rifle. But you know what I hate? I hate people telling me they don't want me to have something. I hear they don't want me to have a so-called assault rifle, hello AR, Hello M1A.

I'm very suspicious of an organization whom I've never wronged or threatened not wanting me to have a badass rifle. That makes me think that I may indeed may need that rifle especially for them. That same organization is famous worldwide for killing hundreds of thousands of people in the name of Peace and Democracy. Uhh, red flag?

Hoskins
September 7, 2010, 04:58 PM
Many feel the only people that own or want a battle/assault rifles are looking for armageddon or are military wanna-be's.
...but what if you are not a Military Wanna-B, but instead in the Military?

I'm a Marine that owns an M4. It was a gift from my wife. She bought it for me as a coming home gift back in 2003 when I came home from the initial push into Iraq.

So why do I want one? Well, for one I can & it is my right. That right has been given to us & protected by Military service members since before our country was officially a country. Also, I want it because it is a part of who I am. I've used it for so long that I wanted one for myself. Additionally, there is a cool factor to it & you never know if you find yourself in a MAD MAX :rolleyes: situation in the future.

Ozzieman
September 7, 2010, 08:01 PM
Because I can, but the biggest reason I own 6, is that with the way this government is going, I truly feel in another decade we won’t be able to if things don’t change.

Ignition Override
September 7, 2010, 08:28 PM
To support what others have stated very well, some or many of these might not be legal to buy years from now, or will simply cost much more, with inflation factored in.

The trends and restrictions with most of our Euro/British and Canadian "allies" are gloomy.
Their socialist arrogance is breathtaking and difficult to comprehend.

Tucker 1371
September 7, 2010, 08:41 PM
1: It's my right to own them and is everyone's right to only some are having their rights infringed upon by Socialist regimes that think they know better than their citizens.

2: They can serve multiple purposes; my SAR2 (5.45x39 AK) is a plinker, home defense gun, and will work as a coyote gun in a pinch. The M1A Scout I have on the way will be used for target shooting out to 300yds (longer if I can find a longer range) as well as deer and hog hunting.

3: I enjoy shooting them more than other style rifles (this is just my personal preference). Not that I don't want or have an appreciation for other types, military style rifles just happen to be my favorite.

headbangerJD
September 7, 2010, 09:23 PM
Great pole. It isn't nearly as typical and unoriginal as all the other polls that I've come across on TFL. Very interesting results. Me, I own rifles mostly for plinking, but I did buy my MSAR STG-556 because it was one of those guns that was a must have for many reasons.

benogil
September 7, 2010, 10:32 PM
I am reminded of the scene in the movie " Aliens " with Ripley and the little girl, where Ripley asks " where are your parents ? ", the little girl answers " Their dead, alright ? "
Like the character Newt, I would have to answer " To kill people with, alright ? "
I am neither ashamed, or proud of the answer. Between home invaders, Cartel folks, and Jihadists I think it is the best way to go.
I have no idea why a poll on a gunsite seeks to obfuscate this response.
I do not think a war is coming, a war has been here for a long time.
Best to not emotionalize the response.

rburch
September 7, 2010, 10:39 PM
I picked other. Possibly all of the above would be a valid choice for me too.

But main reason I got mine was because some people think I shouldn't have one.

And I really don't like other people who think they have the right to decide how I live my life.

Now then, I use my AR 180b for pretty much everything on the list.

Katophract
September 7, 2010, 11:07 PM
Cartels is a good one. Katrina like instances is a good one. Self defense, sporting, hunting, just for the heck of it, it ticks liberals off. I like all the reasons.

XD9GUY
September 9, 2010, 09:19 AM
Here's the deal. I think I would be safe in saying that all of us who subscribe to this Forum enjoy shooting.....period. Whether it be Plinking, hunting, target, match, skeet or whatever. So I think I would also be safe in saying that most of us have more than one gun to do these things listed. Is it not reasonable to say that mostly it is FUN to shoot these military/assault weapons as it is any other sporting weapon. So, like any other sport, we do it for the FUN of it. In addition it can't hurt to also "Be Prepared" for other situations.

stegar1
September 9, 2010, 09:29 AM
well said Katophract! well said.

Rangefinder
September 9, 2010, 09:41 AM
I voted "Other" simply because my battle rifles fill multiple roles. Plinking, target shooting, fun-factor, cool factor, and I would be ignorant to NOT say the Historical factor plays a role, but not in a sense of collecting a piece of history. History tells me over and over that those who do NOT have and maintain the means by which they can protect themselves will often find themselves with the reason they should have. I really enjoy hitting the range when I can, and own enough different firearms to arm everyone on my road pretty effectively (and living out in the country means it's a pretty long road). And everyone I know on my road could do the same. Between us, our little patch of dirt and the amount of weapons that could be brought to bear if it ever needed protecting would make the nearest National Guard Armory look anemic. There is a little comfort to be had in that... ;) That one overlaps with "Because we can".

The part that does intrigue me it that the option "Because I think War is coming" has a high number of votes---just a few short years ago I doubt it would have simply because most of us who might have voted that direction wouldn't have so as not to be labeled 'nut-job anarchist'. While I'd really NOT be thought of as the guy who spends his evenings wearing out another copy of Red Dawn while sitting in cameo boxers while I practice field-stripping an AK and smelling perpetually of a crude mix of Hopps and Cosmoline, I'd have to be a complete idiot to ignore the growing unrest on a national scale. I really do enjoy the somewhat boring, quiet ho-hum routine of my daily existence. And I think the best way to keep it that way is to be prepared to stand up against whatever entity might choose to disrupt it. What really interests me is that quite a few people I've met over the years who would have labeled me the "gun-toting nut-job" are the same ones now bringing up the topic of worry to me and asking advise about what to buy and where, and how I would react to things coming unscrewed. And if everyone who said to me "I'm coming to your house if things turn upside-down" actually show up someday, I'm gonna have a serious population problem in my neighborhood. On the bright side, I could muster a battalion overnight if I ever had to... :D Funny how opinions tend to shift dramatically with just a little change in overall perspective.

rickyrick
September 9, 2010, 10:06 AM
While not a big fan of government spending, military and space programs have brought us a lotta cool stuff that would not exist if we were still throwing pointy sticks at each other.

I am sure the very first civillian asked his wife if he could get a pointy stick.... then tried for a week to figure out how to stick a flashlight on it. ;)

JIMSPD9
September 9, 2010, 03:33 PM
Every american male & every american female over age 18 should know how to load, unload ,disassemble, maintain, and shoot the main battle rifle of America.

Demonstrations are free at my house.

Jim s.

shafter
September 9, 2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded intelligently to this thread. It's good to see so many black gun owners who are nice enough to explain their preferences.

I don't own one now but wouldn't mind getting an AR15 at some point down the road. When I do it will likely be for plinking and plain old fun.

essohbe
September 9, 2010, 04:09 PM
I voted other pretty much the same reasons Rangefinder listed.

Why do I ultimately have/want/need one?

Because I'm an American and, well basically, we kick ass!

darkgael
September 9, 2010, 04:23 PM
Service Rifle Competition

Yep. That's it.

MacGille
September 9, 2010, 06:04 PM
WHY NOT???

hsccox
September 10, 2010, 03:10 AM
Because I can and because it pizzs the SOB gun haters off to no end.

blkmoon
September 10, 2010, 03:46 AM
I want one because I can. In America that's the only reason I need!

Mannlicher
September 10, 2010, 06:45 AM
the thread initiator left the most obvious reason off his list.

As long as those in Washington dislike freedom and liberty and are trying their best to ban guns, then guns are what we need to hang onto. Battle rifles in particular. And ammunition...........

Rifleman1776
September 10, 2010, 08:34 AM
Lot of good responses here.
I'll add: Because, in America, if you want one you can have one.
No other reason is necessary. What you want is all that matters.

Ignition Override
September 13, 2010, 03:00 AM
JIMSPD9:
Maybe your comment does not refer to this WW2 Battle Rifle (though built in '55), but my first Garand has been here several weeks.

Without a doubt it is the most significant possession I'll ever have:), having first seen it on tv in the early 60s.
Squating in the Band of Brothers' fox holes in '09 really inspired me to acquire one.
If you ever pass by (Memphis-not Belgium), would be glad to let you try it out.

ZCORR Jay
September 13, 2010, 06:50 AM
The guns my father and I have are in our possession for various reasons whether it be for functionality of hunting or defense, history, or collectivity. My father still has two lugers that my grandfather brought back which inspired my interest in WWII guns but right next to those are some new shotguns, a slew of pistols, and a Patton replica pistol.

But like stated before... we own then because we can.

rjrivero
September 13, 2010, 07:12 AM
Really? I need a REASON to exercise my 2nd Ammendment rights?

If you have to ask this question, you'll probably never understand.

alloy
September 13, 2010, 07:15 AM
Cause it's more fun than bump firing a bolt action?

I don't know, but I don't know why I own a few things. Why do I own a over/under when a side by side will do it.

CPTMurdoc30
September 13, 2010, 09:45 AM
Cause it's more fun than bump firing a bolt action?

LOL Now thats funny..... http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/lol-047.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Music-Smileys/)

Edward429451
September 13, 2010, 12:24 PM
My hat's off to the mods for lettin this thread stay open with so much truth in it!! :)

Houndog
September 14, 2010, 02:31 PM
Like many others have posted, I have a number of reasons. First, to the original poster, have you ever shot a AR15? A FAL? An AK? An M1? How about an HK94. If you had I don't know that you'd be asking this question. They are just a ton of fun to shoot. For a lot of us this is first and foremost a hobby. We like to go to the range and shoot targets, steel plates, etc. The above rifles are each very good at doing this. They are easy to shoot, accurate (well except for the AK), reliable, and can put multiple rounds down range pretty quickly.

Second, some of the above, like the AR, can be customized pretty easily. You can drop in an improved trigger, mount a variety of scopes from a nice red dot to high power scope, install a collapsible stock, attach lasers, lights, can openers, etc to the front, and generally personalize the weapon any way you want.

Third, we still can own these guns - but the way things are going that might not be true in the future. And I for one would rather have a gun and not really need it than not have a gun and desperately need it. So yes, home protection and SHTF does come into it to. Although contrary to popular belief most of us are not sitting in our bomb shelters with tin foil duct taped to our heads waiting for communist zombie aliens to land.

Hope this helps.

TriggerJunky
September 14, 2010, 09:37 PM
Hmmm... why would I own a battle rifle.... maybe BATTLE?

Cruncher Block
September 14, 2010, 10:24 PM

I'm not sure what exactly what falls into the category of "battle/assault rifle" here.

And I'm also not sure what is included in the category of "civilian purpose".

But I suspect I strongly disagree with the assumptions behind the quoted statement.

And saying "Let's face it," is not likely to change my mind. I don't find condescension persuasive.

Controlledpair
September 14, 2010, 10:31 PM
Condensation can sometimes persuade me to turn on the defogger in the car :D

DocCasualty
September 14, 2010, 10:53 PM
"all the above" +

As I don't own a fully automatic firearm, can't say I own an assault rifle, at least not by definition. My Brown Bess does have a bayonet lug though, so that garners at least one "evil" point from the now defunct AWB!

I do have an M1917, M1903A3, M1, Colt AR15, SKS and a couple of Swede Mausers though, so I do appreciate battle rifles. I like to shoot 'em, appreciate their history, etc. so I chose "other".

Hotrod4u
September 14, 2010, 11:14 PM
Some folks in America do in fact need such a rifle. Here is why:

- Business owners whose place of business is in a gang or other high crime area. A rifle has better accuracy, knock-down and stopping power then any pistol.

- Property owners who are in a place where a disaster might strike and civil order comes into question such as Louisiana or Florida where a large hurricanes seem to be a yearly thing.

- Folks who reside in rural areas where police may take over an hour to respond.

- Homeowners who feel the stopping power of a pistol is questionable. Pistol power is questionable and the rifle seems to stop people more so then any pistol.

I would definately feel safer in my home with the HBAR (16.1 inch barrel) then a 1911. The rifle has better stopping power and a greater ability to engage multiple targets (burglars normally operate in teams of 2 or 3). A rifle is more visually intimidating then a pistol. Those armed with only pistols may not want to continue the fight against someone with a rifle.

So there are lots of reasons as to why someone may desire an assault rifle for home or business defense over a pistol. The rifle simply works better and you can engage a team of burglars or armed robbers more effectively with it.

c_jackson
September 14, 2010, 11:27 PM
I own an AR-15 because when I belonged to the Corps, my rifle was the closest thing to me, even more than my wife or my kids. I spent so much time cleaning, firing and re-cleaning my M-16 and M-4, after awhile it became as much a necessary part of myself as my own fingerprints. After I left the military, much of myself was left behind. My wife, Jo, figured out what was wrong with me before I did. She bought me the Bushmaster for X-Mas and told me, "Maybe this'll help you sleep at night." It worked, my AR has been just the thing for an ol' jarhead whom felt lost without knowing why. It still puts a smile on my face even now, thinking about it. Guess it goes to show what military wives know, even back home. These ladies pay attention, fellas, especially when we think they aren't. To quote her words: " This is your rifle, there are many like it but I gave this one to you. You better treat me better than this damn thing, because I'm the one that gave it to you!"

sabo954
September 15, 2010, 12:38 AM
I own them for tactical application.

Katophract
September 15, 2010, 06:06 PM
In the southwest the cartels are growing in power. Look along the southern Arizona boarder with signs that say to stay out because of criminal activity. That could be a good reason Rodney King riot type situations is another good reason. Because they might be banned is another one. Mainly because the government doesn't have the right to tell me I can't. Forget them.

Ignition Override
September 16, 2010, 12:14 AM
Hotrod4U:

That's a colorful variety of perspectives, and rifles are usually more accurate than handguns.

Clint Eastwood commanded those thugs' attention with his M-1 Garand in the "Gran Turino" scene, didn't he?
Well, my Garand's bore needs some cleaning. See you.

BlueTrain
September 16, 2010, 09:56 AM
They might be handy in case there's another Blair Mountain. You don't want to be outgunned.

beeenbag
September 16, 2010, 10:08 AM
I voted other. I bought my AR because my local gun shop had a great deal on it and I just happened to have the cash :D. I'm glad I did though it is one of the funnest guns I have.

RimfireChris
September 16, 2010, 10:27 AM
Because I can.

TNTK
September 16, 2010, 10:31 AM
Where else can you obtain that kind of firepower for that kind of price? Not to mention generally less expensive ammo so you can enjoy them more. Any reason is a good reason and my favorite is "I want to!" Besides, an SKS worked over makes a heck of a feral hog gun. How many Mausers are out there passing as "Hunting Rifles"?

SK 009
September 16, 2010, 10:34 AM
why isnt zombies an option! (you never know)

assault rifles are perfect against zombies if anybody in those damn zombie movies had an AR they would have had a great time

Evyl Robot
September 16, 2010, 04:31 PM
They're fun. Everyone should have at least one rifle. Why not?

IXLR8
September 16, 2010, 04:41 PM
Since they are going to tax the crap out of gold, it may become a tangible asset, with benefits. High value, small size, readily bartered, or sold. And all of those darn paper target need that black ring in the middle removed. Someone has to do it...

BIG P
September 16, 2010, 05:48 PM
BECAUSE its my Country,My home,My Ass,My Gun,My Call.:D

bdb benzino
September 16, 2010, 07:00 PM
How about for the fact that when this country was founded, it was founded and faught for by skilled riflemen. It is a part of our history and heritage.;) I like knowing I could protect my family well in the case I could not rely on police or military.

Tucker 1371
September 16, 2010, 10:34 PM
BIG P: BECAUSE its my Country,My home,My Ass,My Gun,My Call.

Couldn't have said it better. No need to justify it more than that.

Art Eatman
September 16, 2010, 10:41 PM
Lotsa repetition, and eight pages is plenty-nuff for a general consensus...