PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on First AR

mukibetser
April 22, 2010, 09:07 AM
I own a Ruger Mini-14 and have decided to expand my collection and buy my first AR. I live in NJ so can only buy a "compliant" model. I've narrowed the list to a Colt Match Target (probably the M4 style with fixed stock), S&W M&P (probably the tactical model with fixed stock) or Ruger SSR (they just came out with a compliant model). I am looking for 1) accuracy (I normally shoot at the 100 yd range but may want to get into competition and shoot at 200 and 300 yds) and 2) reliability, ease of maintenance, etc.

I am leaning towards the Colt, but I like the flip up sights and rails on the M&P tactical and SSR. Any input from people with experience with these guns would be greatly appreciated.

ZeSpectre
April 22, 2010, 09:24 AM
I wrote up a review of my SR-556 here (http://sites.google.com/site/cyansamurai/ruger-sr-556).

I'm of the opinion that there isn't anything "wrong" with the regular AR platform...unless you are left handed like me, then you quickly get tired of gas in the face at every shot so the piston driven system of the Ruger is a very happy thing.

mukibetser
April 22, 2010, 09:54 AM
ZeSpectre -- thanks for mentioning that. I do in fact shoot rifle left-handed. I have no problem shooting the mini-14, but didn't think about potential problems with a direct impingement AR. That may move me towards the SSR.