PDA

View Full Version : Bought My First Rifle Today

gungho
April 21, 2010, 06:49 PM
Picked up a used Ruger 10/22 for $170 bucks. I thought that was a heck of a deal, especially w/ the rifle being in such good shape.

I've shot my fathers a few times and loved it. Put 100 rounds through mine today and I love it.

I did have a scope mounted on it. A Shooter's Edge PF 3-9x40. Works pretty well. I also got a 25 round Shooter's Ridge single stack magazine.

Having very limited shooting time, believe this was a wise investment for some plinking and learning proper breathing, and trigger control.

I'm all sorts of excited! :D

kiwi56
April 21, 2010, 07:09 PM
Congratulations on your new purchase. The 10-22 is a good platform to begin with and there are almost endless possibilities for accurizing and making it easier to shoot well. However this habit can become addictive and in my case the only part that remains of the orriginal two rifles are the two receiver bodies eveything else has been changed and the receiver bodies will be next.

mrawesome22
April 21, 2010, 07:18 PM
trigger control.
You'll need it on that 10/22.;) To put it bluntly, they suck.

kaylorinhi
April 21, 2010, 07:24 PM
I have put something north of 5000 rounds through mine and it is still accurate. I have no plans to change any off it until the firing pin wears down and will replace that as needed!

Ride, Shoot straight, and tell the truth. J.C.

gungho
April 21, 2010, 07:55 PM
Why do you say they suck MRA?

I've heard nothing but wondrous applause for the 10/22.

Another gun store I stopped at today was selling a used Winchester 61 .22 LR for $500. I thought about it but decided against it.

uncyboo
April 21, 2010, 08:01 PM
Why do you say they suck MRA?

I think he's talking about the 10-22 stock triggers that suck.

mrawesome22
April 21, 2010, 08:14 PM
I think he's talking about the 10-22 stock triggers that suck.
O.K. They're worse than sucky... they're... horrific.

CortJestir
April 21, 2010, 08:31 PM
Yah, the 10/22 stock trigger leaves (a lot of) something to be desired... Just drop a Volquartsen hammer in there and call it a day. And while you're in there, add the auto-bolt release. These two items should be standard in new 10/22s, IMO...

gungho
April 21, 2010, 08:35 PM
Ahh, I gotcha now.

Yeah, I believe it still has the stock trigger on it. It was used, but I don't think anything was done with it.

Mind if I ask what you don't like about the trigger though? I did think it was a bit stiff, but other then that it fired a round every time I squeezed it. That's a + in my book.

mjsmith1223
April 21, 2010, 08:37 PM
Congrats on your new rifle. The 10/22 is an excellent rifle to practice the fundamentals with. I've had mine since 1984 and still shoot it regularly. Who knows how many thousands of rounds have gone through it.

How did you only shoot 100 rounds? :D That's about where I start to get warmed up.

uncyboo
April 21, 2010, 08:38 PM
Mind if I ask what you don't like about the trigger though?

Most are creepy, gritty feeling, and pretty stiff. Yours being used will help some. But the aftermarket hammer is one of the better mods you can do as far as accuracy is concerned.

javven
April 21, 2010, 08:43 PM
Derogatory generalizations don't tell us much. Obviously someone's had a negative experience - sure wish they'd share some specifics, and maybe answer what exactly they want for $189 (which is what I paid for my last new 10/22).

gungho
April 21, 2010, 08:48 PM
lol, mjsmith

When I bought the gun it was 10am. I bought a brick of Remington Thunderbolt. My plan was to at least shoot off 250 of them. That didn't happen as I had some things to do. So it wasn't until 6pmish that I was able to shoot.

Since it has a new scope on it, I had to sight it in. It was bore sighted at the shop I bought it from, but that pretty much got me on paper. I had to get myself on target.

After that was done it was getting dark and I didn't want to be shooting after dark. Hence why I only shot 100. :(

But there's always tomorrow! :D

azredhawk44
April 21, 2010, 10:20 PM
The bolt release and magazine release were quite obviously designed by deranged tree sloths from the planet Reanvanveian.

The aftermarket mods for them are a MUST, making a $200 rifle into a $275 rifle and twice as expensive as an equally accurate (or more so) and serviceable rifle... the Marlin 795 (which comes with a good bolt-hold-open and bolt release system, and a good magazine release).

OP: Congrats on getting your first rifle... with a few dozen operations you will figure out how to use the bolt release. It isn't hard, it's just very obtusely designed.

TRguy
April 21, 2010, 10:38 PM
i enjoy my 10-22, though my 1978 marlin model 60 is a more fun rifle to shoot

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj131/TRguy/100_1647.jpg

uncyboo
April 22, 2010, 09:51 AM
Derogatory generalizations don't tell us much. Obviously someone's had a negative experience - sure wish they'd share some specifics, and maybe answer what exactly they want for $189 (which is what I paid for my last new 10/22).

How much more specific do you need than post #11?

CortJestir
April 22, 2010, 10:16 AM
^^ Yep, and it isn't a "generalization" either. It's widely accepted that the stock 10/22 trigger is heavier than it needs to be (as to why, you can speculate). Otherwise, there wouldn't be such a large and successful aftermarket to improve them. Just IMO...

James R. Burke
April 22, 2010, 07:14 PM
Nice 22 to start with. Have fun!

Picher
April 23, 2010, 05:46 AM
It wasn't the first .22LR I bought (they didn't have them back then), but it's the one that's probably been the most fun, especially after I learned to accurize it.

Patchman
April 23, 2010, 08:28 PM
congrats. Can't imagine a better first rifle to own.