PDA

View Full Version : Testing a new Savage Edge at the range...

Catfish25p2000
April 20, 2010, 10:51 PM
Well, I just had to get one to try it out. I ordered a new Savage edge chambered in .243 to test one out. Upon receiving the gun, the first thing I noticed is how light it is. This is a very light and nimble feeling rifle. The next thing I noticed is the stock. Savage made the stock comfortable to shoot, but is kind of cheap looking. I also noticed the line down the center of the stock. It looks like that is where it is glued together. The bolt seems to slide nice and smooth, and locks up nice and tight. I had some concerns with how it would chamber soft point bullets being a detachable mag. The mag is easily removed, and has a nice snap when it is locked in. I removed and re-inserted it quite a few times and only once did I not get the back of the mag far enough in to lock in correctly. This was probably from being careless while inserting the mag. I love the sling swivels and the fact that is comes drilled and tapped. I was able to pick up a set of two piece Weaver bases (for a Savage model 110) at my local sporting goods store on clearance for $1! All went well while putting on the bases and scope. I put an older Japanese Tasco world class 4X16 on the gun for testing. The scope added decent weight to the gun and made it feel a bit more substantial. I also put a Harris 6-9" bi-pod on the gun for testing. Now for the range report... The first thing I did was load the mag and remove the rounds several times. The mag seemed a little light and cheap at first but proved to be very functional, and of decent quality. There is a plastic piece on the bottom that matches the stock material, and the insides are metal . I then loaded the mag and checked to see how well the rounds fed from it. The first 85 grain soft point I tried to chamber hung up and I was sure I was going to have problems with this, however, after I cleared that first one, all was smooth as can be. I fed and ejected about 20 rounds without a problem. The next thing I noticed was that the stock could be wiggled just a tiny bit from up by the muzzle. I tried to tighten up the two allen head screws that hold the stock to the action, but they were tight. Just something I was going to have to deal with I guess. Now for the accuracy... I loaded up an 85 grain Sierra spitzer over 37 grains of Varget for some of the test rounds. The max load was 48, so I figured I would just load 47 grains. The gun had very little recoil for as light of a gun as it was! I was pleasantly surprised. Over all, the gun shot VERY well for such a budget level gun. Some of my very first groups were a little spread out, (1 1/4"), but settled in after about 30 rounds. I also noticed considerable smoothing out of the action as I shot more rounds. It seemed to get smoother with every shot. Toward the end of my shooting, I was printing just barely sub MOA groups with the gun. I only shot about 60 rounds through it, and have much more testing to do, but I absolutetly love this affordable little rifle. I think mine will end up with a camo paint job and will be my new coyote rifle. I will have pics of the rifle soon. Please know that I am not, nor am I claiming to be a professional writer or gun tester. I am just a regular guy who bought one of these rifles and tested it out to let people know what I think about it. I know I always kind of wonder what the writers of magazines get in return for turning out "posititve" results after testing new guns. Again, I am just a guy who loves guns and wanted to let you guys know what I thought of the gun. Anyone else who has shot one of the these have any input? I will keep you posted as I continue testing.

Scoob956
April 20, 2010, 11:20 PM
Cool, thanks for the review. 47 grains of varget sounds like a lot according to my books.

Catfish25p2000
April 20, 2010, 11:33 PM
It didn't even flatten out the primers. 48 grains was the max loads in one of my manuals. It shoots pretty good.

Jimro
April 21, 2010, 01:44 PM
Catfish,

There is a key on your keybord labeled "enter" and you can use it to seperate your words into paragraphs of one to several sentences. Sentences can best be grouped by subject; magazine, stock, accuracy, load development, etc.

Makes it easier to read your otherwise fine review.

Jimro

taylorce1
April 21, 2010, 02:57 PM
+1 Jimro, paragraphs sure helps. I copied and pasted it to word just so I could read it a little easier. I broke it down like this:

Well, I just had to get one to try it out. I ordered a new Savage edge chambered in .243 to test one out. Upon receiving the gun, the first thing I noticed is how light it is. This is a very light and nimble feeling rifle. The next thing I noticed is the stock. Savage made the stock comfortable to shoot, but is kind of cheap looking. I also noticed the line down the center of the stock. It looks like that is where it is glued together. The bolt seems to slide nice and smooth, and locks up nice and tight.

I had some concerns with how it would chamber soft point bullets being a detachable mag. The mag is easily removed, and has a nice snap when it is locked in. I removed and re-inserted it quite a few times and only once did I not get the back of the mag far enough in to lock in correctly. This was probably from being careless while inserting the mag.

I love the sling swivels and the fact that is comes drilled and tapped. I was able to pick up a set of two piece Weaver bases (for a Savage model 110) at my local sporting goods store on clearance for $1! All went well while putting on the bases and scope. I put an older Japanese Tasco world class 4X16 on the gun for testing. The scope added decent weight to the gun and made it feel a bit more substantial. I also put a Harris 6-9" bi-pod on the gun for testing.

Now for the range report... The first thing I did was load the mag and remove the rounds several times. The mag seemed a little light and cheap at first but proved to be very functional, and of decent quality. There is a plastic piece on the bottom that matches the stock material, and the insides are metal. I then loaded the mag and checked to see how well the rounds fed from it.

The first 85 grain soft point I tried to chamber hung up and I was sure I was going to have problems with this, however, after I cleared that first one, all was smooth as can be. I fed and ejected about 20 rounds without a problem. The next thing I noticed was that the stock could be wiggled just a tiny bit from up by the muzzle. I tried to tighten up the two allen head screws that hold the stock to the action, but they were tight. Just something I was going to have to deal with I guess.

Now for the accuracy... I loaded up an 85 grain Sierra spitzer over 47 grains of Varget for some of the test rounds. The max load was 48, so I figured I would just load 47 grains. The gun had very little recoil for as light of a gun as it was! I was pleasantly surprised. Over all, the gun shot VERY well for such a budget level gun.

Some of my very first groups were a little spread out, (1 1/4"), but settled in after about 30 rounds. I also noticed considerable smoothing out of the action as I shot more rounds. It seemed to get smoother with every shot. Toward the end of my shooting, I was printing just barely sub MOA groups with the gun.

I only shot about 60 rounds through it, and have much more testing to do, but I absolutely love this affordable little rifle. I think mine will end up with a camo paint job and will be my new coyote rifle. I will have pics of the rifle soon.

Please know that I am not, nor am I claiming to be a professional writer or gun tester. I am just a regular guy who bought one of these rifles and tested it out to let people know what I think about it. I know I always kind of wonder what the writers of magazines get in return for turning out "positive" results after testing new guns. Again, I am just a guy who loves guns and wanted to let you guys know what I thought of the gun. Anyone else who has shot one of these have any input? I will keep you posted as I continue testing.

Catfish25p2000
April 21, 2010, 03:04 PM
Please know that I am not, nor am I claiming to be a professional writer or gun tester.

Thanks guys! You guys should be english teachers, cuz you sure are smart! I know how to write a paper, I just didn't know that this one would be graded.

taylorce1
April 21, 2010, 04:48 PM
It was a good review, just hard to read. I skip out on a lot of write-ups like yours because they aren't worth the trouble to read. However I was interested in this rifle.

From the TFL FAQ:

4) Mangling of the English language whether thru ignorance, age, sloth or intent diminishes and embarrasses each of us. Posts which are indecipherable due to inability to translate thoughts into coherent written statements will be deleted without explanation. Recidivists will be removed.