PDA

View Full Version : If you only had $100 for optics...

Tangentabacus
April 20, 2010, 05:43 AM
Any rifle, any calibre, any distance... $100 dollars (give or take)... What would it be? Red dot? Cheap scope? Flip up?

By the way, just saying, "I would spend it on something else" is not an acceptable answer. :p

Personally... NCStar Mini Red Dot.

DETH_LIVES
April 20, 2010, 06:03 AM
$100 could go far on a BSA Red Dot or Scope and they have a lifetime warranty.....

Palmetto-Pride
April 20, 2010, 06:07 AM
Wal-Mart has a scope called Center-Point for $69.00 its a 4-16x40 a friend bought one and put it on his AR and it has done pretty well so far. If all I had was $100.00 I would probaly get that one because I know when it breaks Wal-Mart will take it back

hickstick_10
April 20, 2010, 06:09 AM
some form of graduated bolt on peep sight, liike marples or lyman makes

darkgael
April 20, 2010, 06:14 AM
I'd buy a red dot and a few batteries. It would not be an NCstar - I gave them a try, just to see......bought two of them and neither one worked.
I have had good luck with the Tasco PDP3/ProPoint. I have had them slide mounted on a 1911 and on some heavy kicking rifles. Good strong scopes.
Pete

Kreyzhorse
April 20, 2010, 06:45 AM
Bushnell Banner series would be where my $100 would go to. Inexpensive scopes that pull in a lot of light, hold their zero and have good life expectancy.

sonrider657
April 20, 2010, 06:55 AM
For just a little more you could get an American Made Redfield (manufactured by Leupold).

bedlamite
April 20, 2010, 07:05 AM
This:

Bushnell Banner series would be where my $100 would go to. Inexpensive scopes that pull in a lot of light, hold their zero and have good life expectancy.

More specifically:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=748138

mikejonestkd
April 20, 2010, 07:12 AM
I agree that the banner series from Bushnell would be an affordable option. A fixed power weaver might also be a good choice.

Irish80prf
April 20, 2010, 08:40 AM
I made a suggestion for a scope in that price range in this thread. I like the scope for the price.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405801

Flapjack23
April 20, 2010, 09:31 AM
I'd keep saving.

mapsjanhere
April 20, 2010, 09:47 AM
to me, it would depend on what kind of rifle you're putting it on. Something in a .223, sure, any of the scopes here will do. You're going into 30-06 land, I'd be worried about the durability of a BSA or Tasco level scope. I usually don't drop below a Leupold VX1, but I might check out the Redfield for some of my "once a year" rifles.

Stumper
April 20, 2010, 09:58 AM
+1 on the CenterPoint scopes. The clearest glass I have ever used is a CP mounted on my SR22.-Brighter and clearer than any Leupold I've ever used. Since I have another CP and a friend also has 2 and All are crisp and clear I don't think the magnificence of the one on the SR22 is a complete fluke.

mdd
April 20, 2010, 10:14 AM
I'm with flapjack on this one. Otherwise, if they are anything like the one I bought in 1995, i'd go with a tasco world class.

madcratebuilder
April 20, 2010, 11:45 AM
A used steel tube Weaver K series or keep saving. I have bought my share of entry level (cheap) scopes, no more. You do see a major improvement in quality when you get into the $250 area, and it keeps going up.

Vt.birdhunter
April 20, 2010, 11:46 AM
Ebay, get a Burris, lifetime guarantee regardless of owner.

TheNatureBoy
April 20, 2010, 11:51 AM
I'd try to save $100 more then purchase a scope.

Brian Pfleuger
April 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
Bushnell Banner Dusk&Dawn 3-9X40 with Circle-X reticle. Best "cheap" scope that I've ever owned (and I've owned a couple few cheap scopes).

Brandy
April 20, 2010, 11:56 AM
El Paso Weaver. Unless you plan to hunt in the rain, they will work just fine.
A K 2/5/4/6 is about bullet proof and has far better optics and reliability than the el cheapo garbage from Russia and China.

HoosierGunClub
April 20, 2010, 12:04 PM
I would save my $100 and get something better down the line ;)

Venom1956
April 20, 2010, 12:28 PM
+1 on the CenterPoint scopes. The clearest glass I have ever used is a CP mounted on my SR22.-Brighter and clearer than any Leupold I've ever used. Since I have another CP and a friend also has 2 and All are crisp and clear I don't think the magnificence of the one on the SR22 is a complete fluke.

Normally I don't do this but I gotta call you out on this one... Seriously? Clearer the a Leupold? I had a illuminated 4x16 on my 10/22 for roughly 2 hours before it was returned to Wally World. Replaced for a second one same issues. Returned and replaced it with the TASCO that I had on prior. For the record I am not a scope snob either I'm a dirt poor college student.

Couldn't hold a zero for ten rounds by the 7th and 8th it was already starting to shift. I dunno if this was a result of the target turrets moving or what... If I had had these issues when mounted on say a 30-06 I wouldn't have complained, but on a .22 rifle? thats troubling.

Rings where terrible, as in incredibly bad... they didn't even mount correctly, and made of some super soft aluminum if it even was... I dunno how you can miscut a weaver rail mount but apparently it can be done, side where you tightened it was roughly 1/4" higher then the other, It actually worked better upside down... burrs in the rings also destroyed the finish when I was moving for eye relief.

Glass was fish eyed on the first one around the edge and the 'Illuminated Reticule' lit up from about the 9 o'clock position and didn't even reach the 3 o'clock. Result? super illumination on bottom left, little to none on the top right.

I mean no offense to you personally, by all means if yours is great I am glad for you. I simply wanted to address my issues with the same brand and offer another opinion. I simply cited your post as a reference.

Perhaps they do make quality scopes but the simple fact that I received two lemons from the same shipment doesn't speak very highly of their QC...

azredhawk44
April 20, 2010, 12:33 PM
Something from Williams (FP-TK probably) or Lyman or TechSights. Some sort of aperture and post sight system with adjustable click turrets.

Irons are capable of 1-2 MOA accuracy if the shooter, rifle and ammo are. 4MOA is easy-peasy with irons.

Mike1
April 20, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'd save a little more and get one of the new Redfields, made by Leupold.

FrankenMauser
April 20, 2010, 01:57 PM
I'd save it, until I had another $100 - and maybe until I had another $100 on top of that...

Good scopes pay for themselves, by lasting forever (and working well, the whole time).

Norrick
April 20, 2010, 03:12 PM
simmons 22 mag was good for my money (i think it ran me about 60 bucks). But I only use it for rimfire.

jhgreasemonkey
April 20, 2010, 03:26 PM
I'd pick up a bushnell banner fixed 4x. Those last forever and the optics are decent. One thing to remeber when dealing with cheaper scopes is that the failure rate on fixed power scopes is way way less than variable models.

dumbodave
April 20, 2010, 05:55 PM
For that much money I think I would hunt up the closest gun show and try and find a vintage Weaver K-4. There were millions made and they stood up to anything. Not the most brilliant glass, but utterly dependable.

fisherman66
April 20, 2010, 06:05 PM
nuther vote for the Banner.

mrawesome22
April 20, 2010, 06:17 PM
I'd keep saving.

seanhagerty
April 20, 2010, 07:01 PM
Millet SP-1 Red Dot

Abel
April 20, 2010, 07:26 PM
I'd lurk ebay for a good Nikon or I'd get a new Williams peep.

Skeeno
April 20, 2010, 11:29 PM
I put a Bushnell Trophy on my muzzleloader that I have been happy with. Paid $99.99

OJ
April 21, 2010, 12:13 AM
I bought a 4X fixed power Simmons scope for my Marlin 782 (22 Mag) and the scope is marked "22 MAG" for $35.00 last week from Sportsmans Warehouse. Lokks good to me.

RKG
April 21, 2010, 06:06 AM
Wal-Mart has a scope called Center-Point for $69.00 its a 4-16x40 a friend bought one and put it on his AR and it has done pretty well so far. If all I had was $100.00 I would probaly get that one because I know when it breaks Wal-Mart will take it back

On the recommendation from a fellow who has a number of them on some pretty impressive rifles, I put one of these "Centerpoints" on a Savage .308 12 VLP, intending to replace it with something good once I had done enough research on the subject.

Two years later, I'm still shooting the Centerpoint.

Historically, I've always been a "you get what you pay for" guy, but I guess every once in a while you run across an exception to that rule, too.

billfrombyron
April 21, 2010, 08:02 AM
+1 on the Center Point Scope.

When my previous scope started to have a wandering zero I was looking for a replacement for my coyote gun which is a Savage 110 in .223.

I chose the wally world Center Point after reading lots of reviews on it. Nice clear glass. My poa didn't change on higher magnification, and the adjustable target type turrets are nice. The illuminated mil dot is ok, but could be better and less bright. I felt it was too bright for precision at night for my taste. When turned down nice and dim the lines were more distinct, but still a slight blur on the outline of the cross hairs and dots. Think Aimpoint on high power setting.

The adjustable target turrets offered solid zero retention and return.(I'm not sure what the term is, but you could dial in a farther target and return to zero every time.)

I will be mounting this same scope on my AR when I get home. Its not a Leupold, but optical quality and light gathering at dusk to dark was great! On a full moon night you could see surprisingly well.

Honestly its a hell of a deal for bargain glass. Zeiss it aint, Leupold it isn't. Quality it is however.

Try one.

The guy who had bad luck with his owned it for 2hrs story, well sometimes QC daemons get you. It happens to all manufactures and honestly yours is one of the few horror stories I have read, but when they fail the major complaints seem to be similar to yours. Ive had mine for almost 3 years now with no major complaints.

Did you follow the directions included with the scope? They tell you to tighten the turrets, zero the rifle, then loosen and re-tighten the turrets for the adjustment feature and as part of the zero process.(align the 0 mark for elevation and windage turrets.)

Google them and look for the reviews. They are overwhelmingly positive from all walks of life.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you run across a real gem.

-Bill

worth
April 21, 2010, 09:02 AM
Spend a little more and get a great scope-Nikon Buckmaster-You will be highly surprised by the clarity

publius
April 21, 2010, 02:16 PM
Bushnell.

ZeSpectre
April 21, 2010, 02:25 PM
I've been really pleased with the 3-9x40 Centerpoint scope. Mine was nice enough that I bought a second for another rifle.

sc928porsche
April 21, 2010, 11:22 PM
For me, it would depend on the cartridge that is being used. A fairly heavy recoil rifle would need a better quality scope. 30-06 recoil or less, a bushnell banner or like would be ok. If you are using something on the lines of 300WM, then a bushnell elite series would be sufficient. Also keep in mind that the cheaper scopes do not focus well at longer ranges unless you have an adjustable objective. These are some hints that I have personal experience with.

mrawesome22
April 22, 2010, 04:45 PM
Even a cheap scope with an AO will not focus very well at long range. Then when it starts to get dark.... LOL forget about it.

buymore
April 22, 2010, 06:13 PM
I'd haunt Ebay for a good buy on a barely used midrange scope. Some of the older Bushells and Simmons scopes made in the Phillipines had Bausch & Lomb glass in them. The Korean made Bushnells are very good glass. I bought a mounted (never fired scope) Bushnell Scopechief 3.5-10 x 44 Bausch & Lomb glass, got the box and all the original paperwork including the warranty card. Lifetime Warranty. Scope was perfect. Paid less than $70 shipped for it two years ago. In my research I found that the newer "Scopechief" series was rebadged the "Elite" series when they weren't selling under the SCOPECHIEF name. I also have found a couple of older Simmons Pro Hunter models (made in Phillipines) for well under $20 shipped. I just got one at a local pawn shop lst week for $20 out the door. These older Pro Hunter models were over $100 new and they are very clear and sound scopes. I still find them selling NEW old stock for just under $100 these days. I say search EBAY and do your research!

teeroux
April 22, 2010, 06:20 PM
+1 centerpoint

Moved it to my 30-30 (yeah it looks a little akward:D) from my AR-15 after I mounted my eotech and it is still holding up. It most certaintly isn't clearer than a Leoupold though.

James R. Burke
April 22, 2010, 07:12 PM
Not the correct answer, but like it was said prior keep saving.

jaybirdjtski
April 22, 2010, 07:25 PM
Easy. I'd buy a used Leupold off one of the online sites, even eBay. Leupold has a no b/s lifetime warranty and you do not have to be the original owner. In fact, I just did buy a M8 2x to go atop a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull. Paid just over $100 + shipping (no sales tax!!):) and retail, new it's like $350 + sales tax!:( I've seen numerous Vari-X 2 to 7 near to that price range.

HankC1
April 22, 2010, 07:43 PM
Centerpoint is Leapards 5th Gen scope. well built scope.

mikejonestkd
April 22, 2010, 09:04 PM
Centerpoint is Leapards 5th Gen scope.

That does not instill much confidence in the product. Leapers is well known for being suited for airsoft toys.

NWCP
April 23, 2010, 12:08 AM
If I only had $100 for an optic I'd save a little longer and get a better optic. Otherwise an aperture sight would serve you better than cheap glass. JMHO

2rugers
April 23, 2010, 03:50 PM
Another vote for the Weaver.

RockyMtnTactical
April 23, 2010, 03:59 PM
I would keep saving up money for something nicer. :)

TXGunNut
April 23, 2010, 11:24 PM
I'd have rings, bases and scope covers taken care of, maybe even sight-in ammo.

L_Killkenny
April 24, 2010, 09:38 AM
If I only had $100 for an optic I'd save a little longer and get a better optic. Otherwise an aperture sight would serve you better than cheap glass.

Even the cheapest glass that holds zero is far better for shooting than an aperture sight. Don't get me wrong, apertures have some advantages (size and weight for the most part) but are not as good as glass, even cheap glass.

I've never bought any scope for more than $100. The only scope I've ever had issues with was a used Bushnell I bought in the late 80's. Bought a Simmons 8-point years ago as a desperation scope and can't say I'd buy another and never used it much so I can't comment on function. A shooting/hunting partner bought one at the same time and he still uses his though. I have and still extensively use numerous other BSAs and Simmons scopes (BSA reddots are another matter, best avoided IMO) with zero issues. All of them work fine even with some knockin around in the field. I have a Centerpoint 2-7x that I haven't used enough to comment on. It seems fairly clear but is heavy, ugly and has illuminated reticle which I'd just as soon not have. Also the click adjustments aren't very positive. I will add, they do have decent reviews.

Recommendations? If all you have is $100 spend it all. Stay away from the really cheap scopes like $50 Simmons' and Tasco's. A $100 BSA, Simmons or Bushnell will work fine. Option 2 is the used route. Weaver being my favorite here. I like the older El Paso made Weavers like the 3x, 4x or maybe a 6x. Option 3 is the Walmart route including the Centerpoints. Why? The hassle free return/trade-in policy.

While I hate the "save your money" crowd another $20-50 does add some great options like new Mueller, Weavers and Nikon's.

To sum it up, you can easily find decent, workable glass for $100.

LK

buymore
April 25, 2010, 10:05 AM
just keep one thing in mind if you move up the ladder.......all these guys telling you to save and go up the ladder are the same guys that wont offer you any more for your rifle with that better scope on it if you are forced to sell it down the road! I've bought many rifles with scopes on them and usually you are buying the rifle and don't want to pay for the glass on it. I've made offers at gunshows to buy it without the glass and usually the seller just sells it with the glass. I've gotten some of my better scopes on rifles that I had no intention of buying already scoped. I'm still for a mid-priced USED scope. Buy a retails store USED scope and you may have a bad scope because the way it got handled and treated.....like a cheap scope! Usually the $150-$200 (NEW) scopes are a little better taken care of and buying used can be a real bargain. I would do some searching, maybe even hit the fleamarkets and pawnshops. Pawnshops will take good scopes off knowing they cant get as much on a rifle. I've even seen dealers at gunshows take a scope off a rifle to sell just the scope.

brotus2
April 29, 2010, 06:23 PM
I bought a Centerpoint at Walmart for the $70.00. Took it back. The evelation went right and left and the windage was a spinner.

mrawesome22
April 29, 2010, 06:42 PM
When I buy a gun with a cheap scope on it, I usually tell the guy " Take the scope off and I'll give you the same amount, or leave it on and I'll give you the same amount." A junk scope is worthless and frustrating no matter what the price at the store.

Now if a fellow has a nice scope on there, and I know that I might have a use for it, that factors into my offer.

predator86
April 29, 2010, 09:14 PM
if i only had $100 dollars for optics, i would <...> put on a peep sight made by marbles, lyman or redfield...

it is not worth spending a ben franklin on a POS with a lifetime garruntee, save that ben franklin for a basic leupold and you can hunt with that scope for the rest of your life....instead of dialing the phone and talking to customer service...

Bamashooter
April 29, 2010, 10:46 PM
i bought a handi-rifle and put a SHOOTERS EDGE scope on it. got it dialed in and about 250 rounds later it still dead on. dont know who makes them but its a damn good scope for the 79.99 i paid for it. its a 3x9x40 FFII just like a burris. actually thats why i bought it. i wanted my son to have a scope like his ole mans but not as expensive. i think my burris is better but not by much.

.300 Weatherby Mag
April 29, 2010, 11:07 PM
I would save up till had more $$$...

mrawesome22
April 30, 2010, 08:28 PM
i bought a handi-rifle and put a SHOOTERS EDGE scope on it. got it dialed in and about 250 rounds later it still dead on. dont know who makes them but its a damn good scope for the 79.99 i paid for it. its a 3x9x40 FFII just like a burris. actually thats why i bought it. i wanted my son to have a scope like his ole mans but not as expensive. i think my burris is better but not by much.
There is more to a scope than ability to hold zero.

hometheaterman
April 30, 2010, 10:50 PM
I'm not going to lie. I've had good luck with Simmons. In fact I have several friends with Simmons scopes that they hunt with and only one that I know of has had a problem. For a lot of guys as long as it holds zero that's good enough for them.
I've used Tasco and had okay luck and I have a couple friends that use them almost exclusively. However, I have a couple of friends that have also had issues with them. More have had issues than with Simmons and honestly between the two I just prefer Simmons. Aren't they both owned by the same company now though?

Now if you get a good scope for one of those companies the downsides are that the quality of the glass just isn't there. It wont be nearly as clear as a Burris, higher end Leupold(I say higher end as I have had 2 VX-I's and to me the Simmons have been better in low light and just as clear and the Tasco I couldn't tell a difference between the two.), Nikon, or other similar scope. Now they will still be plenty clear to shoot with during the day or even normal hunting hours. However, if you plan to shoot right at dark or right as the sun comes up in the morning you likely won't be able to.

With my Burris once the edges of a field get dark and I can no longer see them with my naked eye but I can still see some in the middle of the field I can see fine through the scope even around the edges of the field where I can't see with my naked eye.

If you look through the Simmons in similar conditions I can't see at all or can hardly see if I can see anything in the middle of the field. I can see stuff with my naked eye I can't see through the scope.

However, for people that aren't shooting at night or right at dark I don't see that the Simmons scopes are so bad. The two I've used have held zero, been dropped, etc and they still have held up. Now they haven't been on super hard kicking rifles but they still work. A friend has one on his .270 and it's held up great for 5 or 6 years. His has been dropped many times, banged around constantly, etc and still holds zero and is dead on. For most people that's all that matters.

To me as long as a scope holds zero it's mostly all I care about as I just don't shoot in the conditions mentioned above. I've had two Leupold VX-I's and both have had issues holding zero. Now Leupold fixed them but it kind of soured me on them. It doesn't matter how clear it is if it can't hold zero. Not that they were that clear either.

TXGunNut
May 1, 2010, 11:17 AM
Tricky thing about scopes is that Tasco, Burris, Simmons et al over the years have all made both very good scopes and pretty crappy ones. With all the ownership changes and re-badging of scopes I don't think a name brand is much of a guarantee of quality in a new scope until you move into the top quality stuff but that isn't what OP is asking about.
Spending $95 on a scope that doesn't work out would bother me, these days I can spend more and do. The result is a scope that will outlast a few cheaper scopes, maybe even outlast me. Most of my scoped rifles and pistols either kick hard, are used on hunts where I can't afford for them to fail or need the resolution to see very clearly at long distances. Cheap scopes can be amazingly good these days. I'm itching to build a plinker someday and have gotten good info here. I may use one when I do.
I don't get to shoot or hunt very often so maybe for now life's too short for cheap scopes.

LongRifles, Inc.
May 1, 2010, 11:38 AM
Put it in a savings account and wait till you have another zero left of the decimal.

predator86
May 2, 2010, 01:26 AM
well your other option is to look at used scopes, look for a used leupold vx1 or vx2, or an early made in japan tasco is a fabulous scope...try to spend at least 100 dollars on the scope, dont try to get the scope/rings/mounted all for 100 bucks..if you have to, give up a bad habit for a week (smoking, drinking, pop) and put the money you would have spent of that towards your scope budget or pick up aluminum cans, 200 dollars on a scope brings you into mueller scopes which are good budget scopes as well...ya gotta remember, we live in a democrat controlled society now, money is one of the easiest things to come by in this country...ya just gotta look for it:cool:

hometheaterman
May 2, 2010, 08:05 AM
vx-2 might be a fabulous scope but I've had 2 VX-I's and neither were fabulous. Both broke and failed to hold zero. One lasted several years the other lasted about a year. During that year it had to be repaired for another issue too. They don't look any clearer to me than the cheapo Simmons and Tasco's and like I said both I've had have had problems. I've never had a Simmons or Tasco fail. It's just the lack of optical quality that they present. When compared to the VX-I's they didn't look any different though. It was compared to other decent scopes that you could tell a huge difference. I would buy a Simmons or probably even another Tasco before I bought another VX-I unless I got a smoking deal on the VX-I like the second one I got. Now you do get a lifetime warranty that's a lot less hassle with the Leupold and that's the plus but you also pay about $180-200 more than you would for one of the cheaper scopes.

I think if you go with a VX-II or higher you could more than likely avoid these problems though. So I'd just stay away from the lowest end Leupolds.

fisherman66
May 2, 2010, 08:32 AM
So I'd just stay away from the lowest end Leupolds.

That could be said of most non-alpha brands. I'd love to slap Zeiss on all my rifles and the Conquest is well priced for what it delivers, but they are awfully heavy for what you get. Even the petite little fixed powers are pretty close to a pound.

Put it in a savings account and wait till you have another zero left of the decimal.

In a perfect world... It's not unreasonable to pay more for glass then one does for the rifle, but once you get into that price range the law of diminishing returns kicks in. A few hundred bucks buys a lot of scope today. Zeiss, Burris, Nikon, Weaver and several other makers prove this point well.

Art Eatman
May 2, 2010, 09:59 AM
Me, if I had a $100 limit, I'd look for a good-used fixed 4X scope. Oughta be some good name-brand scopes like that at gunshows. Bargain and dicker on Sunday afternoon.

4X easily allows sub-MOA on paper at 100 yards. Plenty good for Bambi to 300 or 400 yards. A bit iffy on prairie dogs beyond 200.

Dino.
May 2, 2010, 12:01 PM
I found this 3-9x42 ACOG replica on eBay for $75.
It's very accurate and holds zero very well.
Then again, I only use it on my .22 which has very low recoil. ;)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/DinoBonanno/DSC03254.jpg

skoro
May 2, 2010, 03:22 PM
Bushnell Banner fixed 4 power

Bamashooter
May 2, 2010, 03:34 PM
yeah, mrawesome22 maybe so, but for that price if it holds zero and doesnt fall off my rifle,it's well worth it. :)

HuntAndFish
May 2, 2010, 03:40 PM
Just looked around on ebay, MidwayUSA and Brownells for something I would trust under $100. Wow, pickings are slim at that price point.

I think if I needed it now and could not wait for more funds, I might buy 3 of these and hope that 1 out of 3 was a good one...

Simmons 8-Point Rifle Scope 4x 32mm Truplex Reticle Matte for $29.99 @ Midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=417845)

At the very least, it might take me a while to break them all. :)

mrawesome22
May 2, 2010, 03:46 PM
but for that price if it holds zero and doesnt fall off my rifle,it's well worth it
Not to me. LOL I once made the mistake of buying a BSA "Platinum" 8-32 power. It held zero, other than that, it was crap. And it was a $180 scope. I called it "the blackout scope." Just the thump of my heart was enough to move my eye and give me complete darkness in the scope. Absolute junk. I told my buddy I was going to throw it away and he said he would take it. He came over to my house the next night and tried to give me $50 for it. I absolutely refused. So he kind of got mad that I wouldn't take any money for it and I had to force him to take it for free LOL.
He called me that weekend and offered it back to me. I said "No way, it's your problem now." LOL It ended up in his trash can.;)

Bamashooter
May 2, 2010, 04:23 PM
no offense but the SHOOTERS EDGE scope is a little better than that. ive been using it for 2 years and so far so good.

Bigjfb
May 2, 2010, 06:21 PM
I came across two Swift 682 series 6-18x 50, $90 each at a gunshow. The one on a 22-250 has taken countless prairie dogs, a few deer and antelope too, best value for optics ive ever had. The other I put on a heavy .22, I use it for silhouettes and varmints. I have Burris and Leopold, both have better clarity and light draw, both were way over twice as much dinero.

I just saw a few on ebay, sub $100 range, i'd jump all over those if I only had a few bucks for optics.

TX Hunter
May 2, 2010, 06:46 PM
I would get a Simmons Pro Series 6x42 they have long eye relief, and hold their point of aim.
You can buy one for about 80 Bucks.

J A
May 3, 2010, 06:06 AM
Go to Midway's web site and read the reviews for the 6.5X20 Whitetail Classic. On sale right now for $109. I have owned 2 of these. And currently have one on my main varmint/carry rifle. No problems with either one after many years of use and abuse on a .243.
Be warned they are large and heavy. But very useable. Being able to crank up the power and scan a ridge line or tree line is very useful when coyote hunting here in the midwest. I would not hesitate to buy another.

snowdog650
May 3, 2010, 01:10 PM
I'd buy Tech Sights ...

www.tech-sights.com

Stevie-Ray
May 3, 2010, 05:41 PM
I put a Leapers UTG 4-16X50 on my FAL for an experiment to find out if the accuracy of the gun warranted expensive glass. It does, but the glass hasn't failed. I'm leaving it on til it does. It cost me $119. So far, I'm as impressed with the cheap scope as I am with the rifle. It will eventually wear a Nikon, but if this scope never breaks, why spend the money?

Evidently, what has been said is true; some people get lucky. Next time I want a cheapie, I might try out these folks. (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=LXTA104050IR&src=tpMfg)