PDA

View Full Version : Got Mugged: Always Happens When Im Not Carrying

LordofWar
February 11, 2010, 02:02 PM
So two hours back I was on my way back home after dropping a relative. He was staying at a highly secure army area so I left my handguns at home. So after dropping him I was stuck in the middle of a traffic jam and was talking on the phone when I heard a loud bashing on both my right & left windows. (Mind you this is happening openly in the middle of a traffic jam)

So there were three guys with guns aimed at me. I dropped down the window and asked "what is it?" with the mobile still next to my ear. Just the mobile they said. :) I was covered from right left, front & rear and there were three guys with hammers down on their Tokaevs so good chance there was one in pipe as well and I wasnt carrying a firearm.

Alas, I had to part with my mobile phone and they walked away. :)

Im always with PSD or atleast two handguns and a SMG 24/7 but the day I had to be mugged was the day I wasnt carrying ANYTHING AT ALL.

Define Bad Luck!

kayakersteve
February 11, 2010, 02:17 PM
So what good would your guns have done you with three bad guys pointing guns at you. Nothing! Probably would have got you killed!

Creeper
February 11, 2010, 02:19 PM
Considering the scenario, it's doubtful you'd have survived if you'd been carrying and put a weapon to use. In other words, they well and truly "had the drop on you".
Congrats for only losing your celly... instead of your life.

C

Doc Intrepid
February 11, 2010, 02:26 PM
With 3 dudes pointing guns at you from both sides and the rear?

Even if you HAD a handgun, that's a no win situation...

Hand over the mobile!

You done good to survive... (if you'd had a gun they may have walked away with that too!) ;)

EMB135Driver
February 11, 2010, 02:34 PM
The thing will be a brick as soon as you report it stolen.....maybe they had to make a really important call.

This is a situation where having a gun would have been a bad thing...you might have succeeded in saving a cellphone, but more than likely you would have succeeded in getting yourself shot and killed (you will have a new, better phone in 12 hrs anyways)

CelticWolf
February 11, 2010, 02:36 PM
+1 Doc...

"Your greatest weapon is on your shoulders"

CelticWolf
February 11, 2010, 02:40 PM
And If you had a gun.. the best place for it is in a SmartCarry type holster. Gun falls right in your "tool shed"
And you usually don't find too many robbers rummaging through another guys "tool shed" looking for "nuts and bolts":o

retiredcoasty
February 11, 2010, 02:48 PM
Even if you were the fastest gun in the west and you could get your gun out, and you were capable of hitting two of them within half a second from when you started for your gun, the third guy would have you dead to rights.

Maybe you should have gone to a pay phone and call your cell phone. When they answered, you can curse them out and call them any name you wanted! At least that provides a little satisfaction!

Cremon
February 11, 2010, 02:49 PM
+1 retiredcoasty

I am busting up over here

Uncle Ben
February 11, 2010, 02:50 PM
I agree with every other person so far that said a gun would have done you no good in this situation. There is no way you would have had time to draw it, and you were greatly out-numbered and in a very vulnerable position. You did nothing wrong, and I'm very glad for you that you only lost your phone and nothing else.

If you did have your gun with you, good sense would have told you not to draw it...they would have fired before you even had your sites on anything.

Croz
February 11, 2010, 02:54 PM
You made it out safe, from a very scary situation. If you had a gun and they got the drop on you like that, you still would have been better off just handing things over.

Glad to hear you're OK.

grubbylabs
February 11, 2010, 03:02 PM
You can't possibly expect me to eat and drink while I read this, it is ruining my key board. Its not funny that your stuff was taken at gun point but the part about not looking for nuts and bolts in your tool shed has every one looking at me like funny as I am laughing at my computer.

Alan Duke
February 11, 2010, 03:28 PM
Since you are in Pakistan, do you think they could poosbly be using it for a terrorist act. Don't know, but it could be possible. Might not hurt to let the authorities know the possibility.

Scrapperz
February 11, 2010, 03:43 PM
It was a blessing you we're unarmed in this scenario. IMO God Bless

KLRANGL
February 11, 2010, 04:07 PM
OP, if you were as calm and collected as it sounded in your post, then good job to you. Remembering the little details with real weapons pointed at you isn't the easiest thing...

KCabbage
February 11, 2010, 04:14 PM
Looks like someone needs to improve on their situational awareness ;)

Glad your okay:) Too bad your phone didn't have a self destruct feature on it.

scorpiusdeus
February 11, 2010, 04:16 PM
SEE!! This is why I never go to Pakistan anymore. :D

KAK
February 11, 2010, 04:21 PM
Some PDA phones can be tracked. So.... Go home and get your deer rifle and your AR.

Track your phone

Wait for them

AND TAKE IT BACK FORCEFULLY!! :D

No I think you could have it tracked by authorities though.

Old Grump
February 11, 2010, 04:36 PM
So two hours back I was on my way back home after dropping a relative. He was staying at a highly secure army area so I left my handguns at home. So after dropping him I was stuck in the middle of a traffic jam and was talking on the phone when I heard a loud bashing on both my right & left windows. (Mind you this is happening openly in the middle of a traffic jam)I think I see where your problem was. You were an easy target and they knew it.

LordofWar
February 11, 2010, 04:40 PM
Even though I was pretty calm & collected, they were FAR calmer & collected than I was. They were in the middle of the road with people all around them. They came in on foot & left on foot not running but WALKING with their Toks in their hands & disppeared in the small back alleys entering the slum area that was adjacent the road.

Even if I had my gun, obviously any kind of retaliation while they were standing with their Toks pointed at me would have been downright suicidal but I saw sooo many window of opportnities while they took my mobile and while they walked away. If I had a weapon they wouldve been sitting ducks.

1. While they had their guns pointed at me they were looking all around and probably looked at me only when they made a debut.

2. When they walked away hey had their back towards me & they didnt even looked back.

3. They were carrying Darra Toks (Darra = tribal areas where guns are using primitive methods)as two of them were carrying high capacity Toks that are made in the tribal areas which have a 99% if not 100% chance of a malfunction after a round or two so I kind of had an edge there.

4. I'm hauntingly good at IPSC style shooting so three guys in less than two seconds hardly 3 inches apart from each other with their backs towards me would have been a piece of cake.

But anyway, I had the potential to accomplish my objectives in view of points 1-4 but the reality is I was'nt carrying jack -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- at that point in time.

KCabbage, The guys were Pashtuns/Afghans ages 25-27 so good chance they could use the phone or my SIM card anywhere but I called in the police using a spare phone in my dash and they were there in 1 minute 20 seconds, scanned the area with me and lodged a complaint. The IMEI of the phone has been reported to the cellualar companies and the SIM is now blocked. The incident was also reported on 4 major news channels so I'm safe.

scorpiusdeus, My brother & cousin were mugged & my cousin stabbed by 5 latin guys at an area called Granitebay in California right in front of our house but they still go there every summer. ;) Point is anything can happen to you anywhere.

Nnobby45
February 11, 2010, 05:34 PM
Maybe you should have gone to a pay phone and call your cell phone. When they answered, you can curse them out and call them any name you wanted! At least that provides a little satisfaction!

I've said it for some time--a cell phone destruct feature activated with special dial code.

That's a lot of well armed Bubbas to take down one cell phone with no interest in money, credit cards, watch, etc.

LordofWar
February 11, 2010, 05:39 PM
I think it was more of a driveby thing. They happened to see me stuck in a traffic jam, snuggled comfortably in my seat and totally indulged with the caller :o;) so yeah Lets do it they said. It was too crowded for them to stay there for long anyway.

Glenn Dee
February 11, 2010, 05:40 PM
Three guys with guns?... and all they stole was a cell phone?.... wow. Tokerevs?...wow.

LordofWar
February 11, 2010, 05:49 PM
Yep Lucky me I guess.

It happened like this:

ME (on the phone): Blablabla
BASH BASH on the window
ME: Kiya hay? (What is it?)
BG: Yeh! (This!) *points at the cell phone @ my ear*

Takes cell phone from my hand & walks away.

Tokarev is to Pakistan as 1911 is to USA.

Nickel Plated
February 11, 2010, 05:59 PM
Just out of curiosity, but there are no consequences for shooting a person in the back in Pakistan? That's mighty nice of them.

And yes, stuff like this always seems to happen the one day you aren't packing. I used to carry a knife with me in my pocket, and I would always get robbed or get into a fight the one day I decided to leave it at home. :confused: Something's not right about that.

LordofWar
February 11, 2010, 06:10 PM
Nickel Plated:

Consequences!

1. Illegal pocession of weapons: 7-14 years of rigorous imprisonment.
2. Illegal pocession of an automatic firearm: Death Penalty or Lifeterm.
3. Killing a person: Death Penalty.

As for killing the BG prepare for months/years of appearances @ court. You'd be grilled for sure as there have been instances where people killed a person out of enimity and claimed they were mugging. So if they find ANY kind of connection between you or the BG you're booked for murder for sure.

You will need witnesses assuring the LE that it was'nt a road rage incident or a fight that got dirty. Until then you dont leave a police station.

kayakersteve
February 11, 2010, 07:37 PM
BUT, if true, the part that bothers me the most is this:
sooo many window of opportnities while they took my mobile and while they walked away. If I had a weapon they wouldve been sitting ducks.

Kill someone over a cell phone theft...that's makes you as bad as the supposed crimals that robbed you!!! A PHONE - - Not sure about Pakistan, but you can get one here in any store or on any corner!!

Stevie-Ray
February 11, 2010, 08:00 PM
Point is anything can happen to you anywhere. Yep, and this incident sounds like a typical summer evening in Detroit.

win-lose
February 11, 2010, 08:23 PM
Consequences

Somehow I don't think the outcome would have been any different if you were armed. You kept your head then, you'd probably keep it just the same if you were armed.

Nickel Plated
February 11, 2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah with those kind of consequences I think that even if you had a gun, and managed to take out all 3 of them without getting shot, you would still be getting the short stick of that deal. So in my opinion the whole situation turned out as good as it possibly could have for you.

LordofWar
February 12, 2010, 07:55 PM
Well technically yes.

But for all those irrational reasons I still wish I was packing that day.

Maromero
February 12, 2010, 08:07 PM
Point is anything can happen to you anywhere.
Yep, and this incident sounds like a typical summer evening in Detroit.

LOL

orionengnr
February 12, 2010, 08:22 PM
It was your lack of situational awareness, not your lack of armament, that got you into that predicament.

Pittbull
February 12, 2010, 08:35 PM
op, if their guns were loaded its probably good luck that you didnt pack any heat. THey'd have shot you cold dead.

Mr. Davis
February 13, 2010, 12:03 AM
It was your lack of situational awareness, not your lack of armament, that got you into that predicament.
With all due respect, the only thing I can think of that would have avoided the situation is if he hadn't been on the phone at all.

Situational awareness doesn't help a bit if you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. You're literally a sitting duck.

These perps were casing the row of cars looking for a phone. They found LordofWar on one. Even if he'd seen them coming from a mile away he couldn't have avoided the confrontation.

Balog
February 13, 2010, 02:04 AM
So wait: is LordofWar saying the various weapons he's always posting about are illegal where he is in Pakistan? And getting caught with them is a death sentence?

SigP6Carry
February 13, 2010, 02:38 AM
I think it's a death sentence to own an illegal auto, meaning the perps' toks were illegal.

Rhetorically, he also referred to all of the 1911's at toks. So... apparently criminals in the US use 1911s all the time.

But, yeah, I took it as: the perps' possession of the toks was illegal.

dec41971
February 13, 2010, 03:00 AM
This is very common in third world countries and not unique to Pakistan. Cell phones are sort after commodity many in the US not likely to understand. I have to call BS on OP though, saying if he had an arm, they'd be seating ducks. The minute you fire at one, you get their collective attention, and trust me you are as good as dead meat from that point on. :eek:

They don't want to hurt you, because they don't want the hassle of running from the law. However if you invite them to, most crooks in the third world wont skip a beat executing you. They don't really value even their own miserable lives that much to be too worried about it. The big difference is life is mostly a series of struggles unlike in the US where even crooks can dream of maybe having something to look forward to. No offense to anyone intended, its just a fact. Ask anyone from a third-world country if this is not true.:(

Also as I am sure LordofWar can confirm to you, witness can be bought for cheap even by the criminal's families. Really sticky situation you'd have on your hands. Either way you'd be really f-ed if anyone got hurt in this incident. You or them either way phone not worth it. He did the best thing to hand it over without hesitation.

Pittbull
February 13, 2010, 04:11 AM
definitely. No sense gettin killed over a phone. Also, something to consider, is that being inside a vehicle is one of the worst places during a gun fight. It's a death trap, especially if you can't speed away in haste of the moment.

Pittbull
February 13, 2010, 04:16 AM
I think it's a death sentence to own an illegal auto, meaning the perps' toks were illegal.

Rhetorically, he also referred to all of the 1911's at toks. So... apparently criminals in the US use 1911s all the time.

But, yeah, I took it as: the perps' possession of the toks was illegal

What he means is, that in his country the tokarevs are figuratively equal to his society as 1911's are in American society. This is probably true in many countries. cz52's are cheap, reliable, they fire a very powerfull round.

teeroux
February 13, 2010, 08:58 AM
Hopefully you reported it to the police.

I mean if you drive that route today there is a chance you may drive it tommorow and there is yet another chance you may have a run in with those same dirtbags. Even if you think the police may not be able to do anything it can still help. If there was only one or two of them the next time, and you were to get the drop on them, a report of them previously threatining your life could help you out.

batjka
February 13, 2010, 09:42 AM
LordofWar,

I have read several of your posts, including this one, the one about a shootout in a park with AKs, the one where you were kidnapped and happened to kill the kidnappers and escape. Every time I read something like that I can't help but shake my head in disbelief.

Where in Pakistan are you? In the Tribal Territories? What do you do for a living? If you get in trouble all the time and have money, why don't you travel with bodyguards?

I have met a few Pakistanis in my life, and I've never heard stories like yours. Please provide news reports on this case, as it is very difficult to believe you.

Mr. Davis
February 13, 2010, 10:09 AM

But, yeah, I took it as: the perps' possession of the toks was illegal.
An illegal FULL-auto, is how I interpreted his statement.

Pbearperry
February 13, 2010, 10:12 AM
I would venture to say these guys picked you out as easy prey because you were busy talking on that #^%&* cell phone.Even if you were armed,you were not paying attention and the phone made you a perfect crime victim.

Kyo
February 13, 2010, 01:29 PM
there comes a time in your life where you have to really examine the situation.
when a gun costs 6 grand and people with full autos are running around everywhere in the streets stealing stuff, you should really think about your environment.
I am from a country called Uzbekistan. I got lucky and got moved when I was a kid. I suggest you start saving and get out of dodge man, cause I know my chances of survival are lots higher here in the states, than where I used to be from. I would really try to change your frame of mind here and take a good hard look at what you want. In short, if it were me, I would save up and leave. If not, stay safe and good luck man.

orangello
February 13, 2010, 02:02 PM
So that is what that $3/month cell phone insurance is for, i see now. I'm glad that is all you lost.

Have you considered a trunk monkey? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y :D

LordofWar
February 13, 2010, 03:52 PM
Situational awareness wouldnt have done me any good as I had vehicles north, south, east and west. Its a busy road with a commercial area on both sides and a densly populated area behind the commercial areas so there were swarms of people crossing the road and going amongst the cars as there was a nasty traffic jam.

There was no way of knowing who could be the perp. Out of so many people I was most likely to be a randomly picked out target for them.

As for an armed confrontation:

1. It would have been foolish to confront them while I was in the car and they were outside with their guns drawn. If I had a weapon I would have only confronted them when I was sure I had a comparative advantage over them and the surroundings otherwise I wouldve put mine and the lives of other people in danger as it was very crowded.

2. Hell with the cellphone. I loose them on a monthly basis. Its about something that belongs to you being taken by someone against your will. Well some of you give it up but some of us cant stand the feeling of being the victim. It is exactly WHY most of the people carry a firearm.

rodwhaincamo
February 13, 2010, 04:18 PM
Some things are worth fighting for and others are not. Especially where weapons are involved. Even more so when the envionment is thick with bystanders.

Evan Thomas
February 13, 2010, 04:45 PM
... some of us cant stand the feeling of being the victim. It is exactly WHY most of the people carry a firearm.
Umm... no. You don't carry a firearm to protect your precious feelings. You carry it to protect your life -- period.

Of course "the feeling of being a victim" is unpleasant, but you don't get to kill people over it. Your goal in any confrontation is to walk away physically unharmed; if you're unhappy because you've been victimized by theft, or disrespect, or whatever, well, that's too bad, but you'll get over it...

Some things are worth fighting for and others are not. Especially where weapons are involved. Even more so when the envionment is thick with bystanders.
Exactly.

1911rocks
February 13, 2010, 05:33 PM
The answer........M67!! three BGs and let them get about 15M away. They won, you won. Have a Jamesons 12yr and enjoy!!

SigP6Carry
February 13, 2010, 05:36 PM
I personally suggest a Tulamore 12 year.

But, yeah. They're right. If you're held up by three guys with guns and all they do to you is take your cell phone: you got off well.

LordofWar
February 13, 2010, 06:02 PM
Cheers! :D

With this the threads outlived its utility if/when there was any. :P

SigP6Carry
February 13, 2010, 06:28 PM
There's plenty of utility in discussing which Irish Whisky to celebrate with.

Onward Allusion
February 13, 2010, 07:17 PM
Glad you weren't hurt. Ditto on all the other posts with regard to drawing your weapon.

Going back to phones...

Some advice/suggestions for folks on this board. If you have a smartphone (Treo, Blackberry, iPhone...etc), it would be worth the $30 to install security software on it, in the event that you lose it or worst - get it stolen. Imagine all the information you or your company may have on it. We're talking about spreadsheet attachments, files, contact info, calendars...etc... You can disable and wipe the phone with one phone call.

Go here...and NO, I do not work or own any of the companies reviewed. Security and risk management is one of the things I do for food...

http://mobile-security-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

LordofWar
Got Mugged: Always Happens When Im Not Carrying

LordofWar
February 13, 2010, 09:02 PM
I know. You're all right about this. I was just being an ass.

I think it was somewhat of a post-mugging anger. Material things are just not worth taking somebodys life. I used to preach the same until I experianced the mugging myself.

Maybe it was because I felt helpless at that time... but it's a 100% if I was carrying that day it would have been disastrous.

omkhan
February 14, 2010, 07:24 AM
I know the feeling. When I got mugged the 1st (& the only) time, I didnt know what to do. I was mad like hell. Getting apart with some property or cell phone for e.g. isn't a big deal. We lose such stuff on & off. However, someone ripping it from us by force is something else. Nevertheless, I am glad that you are ok LOW.

Where in karachi did this happen anyway?

LordofWar
February 14, 2010, 08:10 AM
The signal before Kala Pull coming from DHA Phase II.

misnomerga
February 15, 2010, 11:30 AM
Just reading your post I for one am very glad you did not have your shooting iron with you. There is no way a cell phone is worth the possibility of you losing your life over it. As all the other posters pointed out you were covered six ways to Sunday and would never had a chance! Even your thought about taking them on after they were leaving seems a little careless. What if you got two of them but missed the third perp for some reason and now you are engaged in a gun battle, over a cell phone. You were blessed my friend to be ironless in that sitiuation IMHO.

LordofWar
February 16, 2010, 03:42 PM
Well one things for sure. Of whatever magnitude my wife throws tantrums I am not going out with my family without security detail or the bullet proof car. The way it happened in the middle of a traffic jam in a densly populated commercial area totally unexpectedly I refuse to take any chances from now on.

It could easily have been a kidnapping or a life attempt.

skydiver3346
February 16, 2010, 04:02 PM
:confused: Uh, is killing someone and/or getting yourself killed actually worth a cell phone in the first place? I don't think so....
Sure you want to respond to a threat of this kind but in the long run, you were fortunate that you were not carrying on this gig or it may have really ruined your day.

svaz
February 19, 2010, 11:19 AM
I'd bet even in Pakistan the legal ramifications of a 'good' shoot (assuming you survived) wouldn't have been worth the cellphone; definitely not here in the good 'ol 'I'll sue U, S of A'. Pride can be more detrimental to good decision making than alcohol.

Glad you made it out unscathed.