PDA

View Full Version : Hogue wood grips

claws
February 5, 2010, 12:07 PM
I'm a new guy to the forum and I've got a question. I have medium sized hands and the Hogue Monogrip on my K frame Smiths fits perfectly. I like the look of the Hogue rosewood laminate wood grips in both finger groove and non finger groove styles. I would like to know if these wood grips follow the profile of the rubber Monogrip. The finger grooves on grips by other makers are too far apart and spread my shooting hand fingers more than I like. I would also like to know if the Hogue N frame wood grips are close to the K frame finger groove dimensions. I addressed these questions to Hogue directly but haven't received a reply. Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks, Kim

Duke City Six
February 5, 2010, 03:36 PM
I can't speak to the N-frame question, but I have both the rubber and rosewood finger groove K-frame Hogues. Yes, from what I can tell, they are identical, and the woods are very nice. Mine are solid, not laminate.

One note: Since the rubber grips have some flex, they are relatively easy to put on and take off. The wood grips, being rigid, can be difficult to put on.

claws
February 5, 2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, Duke City. As soon as I know more about the N frame grips I'll place an order with Hogue. Any tricks to installing the tight fitting wood grips?

Kim

Duke City Six
February 5, 2010, 06:08 PM
I haven't tried any tricks with the wood Hogues yet, but I have wondered about some kind of lubricant, (silicone maybe?) or some light sanding on the grooves.

Truth be told, I recently switched to the traditional 2-piece S & W smooth target grips, partly for ease of use but also because I wanted to try that shape without the finger grooves. They are awesome as well, and I think I prefer the look, but both the Hogues and the S & W fit my hand very well. Good luck.

Edit: P.S. Pardon my lack of manners. As Jeff says below, welcome to the forum. :)

GUNKWAZY
February 5, 2010, 06:11 PM
Welcome aboard Kim.

I've owned 30 or more sets of Hogues exotic wood grips and have had no problems up to date.
Some fit a little more snug that others. But you should have no problems and I believe they are the same contour as the Rubber Hogues.
Keep in mind, there are different choices when it comes to the exotic wood grips as far as no fingergrooves, single and multi.
The only problem with buying them online with-out seeing them is you never know how nice the woodgrain is going to be.
If you buy them from someone like at a gun show, you can see them prior to the puchase and find some great looking grips.
Check out the set on the custom model 17 below.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq172/toykwazy/3shortsmiths.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq172/toykwazy/model172.jpg

claws
February 5, 2010, 06:18 PM
Those laminate grips look great on those guns, Jeff. It sure looks like the .44 Mag grips are almost identical to the ones on the .357 Mag. I might just bite the bullet and get a set of N and K frame laminates for my guns.

Thanks, Kim

Duke City Six
February 5, 2010, 06:25 PM
I bow to Gunkwazy's experience, as I have only had one. Maybe mine were just unusually tight. I did order my rosewoods sight unseen and I was very happy.

Please see my edit above.

GUNKWAZY
February 5, 2010, 06:31 PM
Please don't bow just because I have an addiction to nice woodgrain.;)

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq172/toykwazy/IMG_3821.jpg

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Duke City Six
February 5, 2010, 06:35 PM
Jeez Jeff,

While we're on the subject of bowing, I see that not only do you have a stunning collection of Colts, but you seem to have a few nice Smiths as well.

Also, I've spent a few years in the furniture biz, so I too have an appreciation for fine woods.

Boats
February 5, 2010, 06:51 PM
My recommendation is for top finger groove only.

http://www.little-link.com/pics/c21f885dfedd456e4d5c373ff702c417.jpg

claws
February 5, 2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the advice and pic, Boats. Is that a Hogue grip? It looks like it has an enclosed backstrap. I have a short index finger so I can't use enclosed backstrap grips since it makes the double action reach too long for me.

Kim

GUNKWAZY
February 5, 2010, 07:27 PM
Kim, that's a Ruger in his picture and they use a totally different grip sytem.
Don't worry, all the S&W Hogues that are currently made have an open or exposed back strap.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

claws
February 5, 2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me. I was looking at the grips and not the gun. That's a really nice collection of handgun stocks you've got there. If you've got a gun for each set of grips you are a lucky man indeed!

Kim

EdInk
February 5, 2010, 11:36 PM
Does Hogue make Ebony wood grips? Anyone have a pic?

GUNKWAZY
February 6, 2010, 07:21 AM
No ebony on Hogues lists.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Webleymkv
February 6, 2010, 08:18 AM
I've got fairly large hands, but I find that Houges on both my K-Frame and N-Frames fit me equally well. I prefer smooth, finger-groove stocks on my guns because they're chambered in either .357 or .44 Magnum thusly making checkering somewhat uncomfortable with heavy loadings. I might, however, consider checkering on a non-magnum gun or an all-steel L or N-Frame .357.

Does Hogue make Ebony wood grips? Anyone have a pic?

Houge doesn't list ebony. However, I believe that Eagle's finger-position grips, which appear to be quite similar to Houges, are available in ebony.

EdInk
February 6, 2010, 11:23 PM
I want them for a Vaquero.

jglsprings
February 7, 2010, 09:11 AM
Jeff,

Have you ever watched "Hoarders" or "Pickers" on cable TV?

I have a feeling that you have 13 or 14 barns full of guns hidden on a farm in Iowa somewhere!

SaberOne
February 7, 2010, 09:33 AM
I really like the Hogue wood grips. In fact, I'm in the market for a set similar to what 'Boats' posted in the top center photo. Unfortunately, I find the Hogue website to be a bit counter-intuitive to navigate.
Regards,

GUNKWAZY
February 7, 2010, 10:08 AM
Jeff,

Have you ever watched "Hoarders" or "Pickers" on cable TV?

I have a feeling that you have 13 or 14 barns full of guns hidden on a farm in Iowa somewhere!

That makes me laugh as I've had several friends from accross the country tell me to watch it cuz it reminds them of me... Ha ha ha.... too funny.
The problem is, I'm the buyers on the show, not the sellers.
You should have seen my stuff when I was just TOYKWAZY.
You may even find parts of my toy collection on the net here and there.
I had thousands of toys at one time.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

jglsprings
February 7, 2010, 10:15 AM
That makes me laugh as I've had several friends from accross the country tell me to watch it cuz it reminds them of me... Ha ha ha.... too funny.
The problem is, I'm the buyers on the show, not the sellers.
You should have seen my stuff when I was just TOYKWAZY.
You may even find parts of my toy collection on the net here and there.
I had thousands of toys at one time.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Well, I'm sure that you have every Colt revolver ever made.... and that is why I don't have any!!:)

Duke City Six
February 7, 2010, 04:06 PM
SaberOne,

I too was a little confused by the navigation at getgrip.com at first. You've probably already figured this out, but for you or anybody else:

The trick is to immediately select "Online store" from the left margin. Then, from the left margin on THAT page, select your gun brand. From there it's pretty simple to narrow it down.