PDA

View Full Version : Whats the diagnosis?

TDK
February 3, 2010, 11:27 PM
Rust or copper fouling? Cleaned the barrel with Hoppes #9 solvent, jag, patches, and brush today. This was left over. So either I didnt do well enough, its rust, or I need some better solvent.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/TDK08/IMG_4395.jpg

JohnKSa
February 3, 2010, 11:29 PM
Looks like copper to me.

Time to try a copper solvent like Hoppes #9 Benchrest or maybe one of the better foaming bore cleaners.

StiveC2007
February 3, 2010, 11:30 PM
copper fouling. answer is get better solvent and maybe a synthetic bore brush. some one gonna come on here and give you a list, I use go whats it called again has a 12 in the name. Im at college right now so I cant go check

bcrash15
February 3, 2010, 11:35 PM
I had a gun that looked just like that. Shop recommended Gun Slick Bore Foamer, worked great. Might take two or more applications though because that fouling looks significant. Also read the directions carefully because some products might not be safe to get on wood or plastics.

plainsman456
February 4, 2010, 12:33 AM
Yep it looks like copper fouling to me.Time to go shopping for some more cleaning supplies.

jrothWA
February 4, 2010, 12:43 AM
Any new (to me) rifle get detailed, including overnight with SC.

If really suspect, mil-surp barrel then over night with fresh Hoppe's and a new bore brush.

bamaranger
February 4, 2010, 03:06 AM
Looks like copper to me too, for sure. Regular Hoppe's #9 won't touch that, as you've learned.

I've become a big fan of the foamers as well. Quicker results w/ less work. Make sure whatever you use will "get" copper.

You don't mention how many rounds fired to obtain this condition, if its a used rife recently purchased, etc. If the rifle tends to copper foul easily, and accuracy deteriorates accordingly, you might want to try some JB bore paste to effect a poor boy bbl lapping.

I believe multiple JB treatments smooths bores a bit and can help w/ rifles that are chronic copper foulers. Such a process has improved my Wally World Rem 700 ADL .270 a useful degree.

I would be interested to see if there is any useful increase in accuracy (tighter groups) w/ the rifle after a bare metal cleaning?

wogpotter
February 4, 2010, 08:51 AM
Easy way to test.
Swab bore with Hoppes, yes the regular Hoppes.
Leave bore wet store muzzle down overnight.
(Tip: put some newsprint under the muzzle to avoid marital discord & a new carpet purchase.)
If there is bluish-green stuff all over the place then its copper, if not its rust. Patch out & oil after testing.

Hoppes, yes the regular Hoppes will remove copper fouling, do not let anyone tell you it wont. It does take a while though.

uncyboo
February 4, 2010, 10:59 AM
Might take two or more applications though because that fouling looks significant.

You've got some work to do. If it's that significant at the muzzle, imagine what the first 8 inches of that barrel looks like....

GeauxTide
February 4, 2010, 12:26 PM
Butch's Bore Shine.

James R. Burke
February 4, 2010, 05:03 PM
Get rid of the Hoppes, and get some Butchs bore shine like GeauxTide suggested. There are also some other real good ones out there besides Butchs. I went to a gun store one day and asked for some Hoppes copper solvent, and the guy said you will like this alot better, and half the time you wont need a brush. He also reccomend a few others. He said after I tryed it for awhile if I was not happy he would give my money back, and I could keep it. So I bought it, and never used anything but that since. But like I said there are a few real good ones and procedures out there besides Butchs, but that is the one I like, and it does work great!

TDK
February 4, 2010, 05:37 PM
I went and shot it today with the copper fouling still like that. I am very novice, but I shot a 3rnd group that you can cover up all three holes with a nickel. Off the bench with bags of course, 100 yds.

I will get some stuff like suggested. If it gets more accurate after doing this I will be tickled. maybe dime sized groups?:D

dahermit
February 4, 2010, 05:48 PM
Hoppies #9 is very nostalgic for gun owners, but should be retired to history. Modern formulas are much better.

340gr
February 4, 2010, 06:10 PM
copper fouling try Montana extreme bore solvent its made for lead fouling but i find its great for copper as well imo the montana extreme is 10x better than hoppes for fouled barrels. 2.99 at midwayusa

James R. Burke
February 4, 2010, 06:13 PM
Its important to get that copper out. Once it is there it picks it up ten times faster than when clean.

dumbodave
February 4, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hoppes #9 used to be the best bore solvent there was. With some of the more effective solutions around nowadays it's still the best Men's Cologne there is!

rjrivero
February 4, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hoppes #9 used to be the best bore solvent there was. With some of the more effective solutions around nowadays it's still the best Men's Cologne there is! I really think it would make a better perfume. It puts me in the mood. :eek:

DnPRK
February 5, 2010, 12:34 AM
Butch's Bore Shine.
Yup, Butch's will take care of it.

gman3
February 5, 2010, 03:25 PM
Now that we have the " I use this, He uses that" thing rolling, I like Barnes CR-10. Clean as you normally do with the good ol Hoppes, then run a patch wet with the cooper solvent through the bore, let it sit for about ten minutes, then run a nylon brush through several times. Follow with a clean dry patch. Repeat until there is no blue on the patch. Then you will need to clean with the Hoppes again to make sure you get all the cooper solvent out. You will want to do that outside of course, because the Barnes has an overwhelming odor to it.

mrawesome22
February 5, 2010, 03:30 PM
Remmy .308Win varmint barrel?

TDK
February 5, 2010, 03:45 PM
Remmy .308Win varmint barrel?

Tactical 20" barrel

Jobfix
February 5, 2010, 04:55 PM
Well boys may I please ask for another person's opinion / critique on my cleaning method, I'll try not to be long winded about it:
1-Run a wet patch w/Shooters Choice on a jag through bore, same direction as bullet travels always, drop patch at the muzzle, then repeat. Let set a minute or so.

2-Run a dry patch through, turn patch over, repeat. (If in the field do this every 30-40 rounds) continue shooting varmints / PD's.

3-After 60-80 rds. Repeat steps 1 & 2

4-Run wet patch w/Barnes CR-10 or Sweets I sometimes alternate. Run wet nylon brush, back & forth through bore. Let it set 5-10 Min., no longer.

5- Run dry patch through, same as step #2.

6- Run wet patch w/rubbing alcohol through, turn over, repeat.

7- Run dry patch through, turn over, repeat.

8- Run wet patch w/Kroil through, turn over, repeat.

9- Run dry patch, turn over, done.

"O'B"

ISP 5353
February 5, 2010, 06:17 PM
TDK,

Years ago I got a "New" PSS like that from the factory. It was .308. It took over a week and a lot of scrubbing to get it clean. The barrel turned out to shoot well, but it came with an unbelievable amount of copper in it. Good luck with it.

Uncle H
February 5, 2010, 07:54 PM
"Hoppies #9 is very nostalgic for gun owners, but should be retired to history. Modern formulas are much better."

BLASPHEMY!!! I SAY BLASPHEMY!!
:D

olyinaz
February 5, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hoppes #9 is an excellent nitro solvent and still very useful for that purpose! I use Shooter's Choice for more stubborn stuff however. Not saying it's the best, just what I happen to use.

Something to look into is fire lapping that barrel if it's a copper hog.

Cheers,
Oly