PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Monarch African

attila787
February 3, 2010, 06:50 PM
I just bought a RRA 458 socom and looking a scope that won't empty the bank. I want something for close quarters, but also something that will allow me to take shots up 200 hundreds accurately.

So I was thinking about the Nikon Monarch African 1-4x20, but I have never used a scope with such low magnification. So I'm wondering how hard it would be to make a 100 yard shot at low light conditions.

Any opinions???

Jimro
February 3, 2010, 07:37 PM
At max magnification a 1-4x20 will have a 5mm exit pupil. This isn't abnormally large, but a 4x32 ACOG will have an 8mm exit pupil. To get the same size exit pupil you have to drop the magnification down to about 2.5 power.

With an unlit reticle you want something THICK to stand out against the murky grayness of dawn/dusk. Which is what I assume you mean be low light conditions.

Jimro

TCman
February 3, 2010, 11:37 PM
If your looking for a 100 yard setup 4 power would be more than enough. The problem would be in low light. I would guess that a 20mm won't gather enough light. You might be better off with a 3x9x40mm. The Nikon Omega is a graet scope. I have one on my muzzleloader and at dusk it is brighter through the scope than it is with my eye. The crosshair is also thick enough to see. The .458 SOCOM is not going to be a flat shooting round, so the BDC reticle would help if you wanted to make a 150 or 200 yard shot. The Nikon Slughunter would be another option along the same lines.

sholling
February 4, 2010, 12:14 AM
I've considered that scope myself because I like the true 1x at the low end. In the African you have a scope designed to get on target fast! As far as low light performance all I can give you is theory, I haven't used one. You didn't mention your age but it becomes a factor. A 15yo can usually make use of an exit pupil size of roughly 6-9mm depending on the individual. By the time you hit 40 that's down to around 5mm so keep that in mind. You can also dial back the magnification a bit.

Exit pupil sizes for 20mm:
1x = 20mm
2x = 10mm
3x = 6.7mm
4x = 5mm