PDA

View Full Version : Gift ideas for gun fanatics!

dawnbtn8
February 3, 2010, 09:55 AM
I have a friend with a birthday coming up who enjoys collecting guns and target shooting for fun as well as some gun smithing. Not looking to by him a gun but would love some other gift ideas that are sure to please a gun fanatic. Any suggestions???

Chaz88
February 3, 2010, 10:01 AM
How about a gift certificate for a day at the range with a rental for a gun he might want to try out.

kwells6
February 3, 2010, 10:01 AM
some of those exploding targets

dawnbtn8
February 3, 2010, 10:04 AM
Well he has several aces of his own with a target range on it. That exploding target sounds pretty fun though. lol ...might just be right up his alley!

precision_shooter
February 3, 2010, 10:12 AM
Honestly, it would be best to just get him a gift certificate to his favorite online gun shop or local shop. Without know him, what he has, what he needs/wants, it's too hard to be able to tell you what to get him. The gift certificate will allow him to pick exactly what he wants, and it's still from you...

dawnbtn8
February 3, 2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks you, I have considered just getting him a gift certificate to keep it simple but thought I'd see what other ideas there might be out there. I appreciate your input :)

horseman308
February 3, 2010, 10:28 AM
Gift certs are always good. Also, it seems like people always could use stuff like

-extra cases (gun, ammo, scope, binoc, etc.)
-slings
-cheek/comb pads to improve fit/feel
-screw-drivers or other tools
-maybe a bipod if he shoots long distances regularly
-good shooting gloves for cool days

I always seem to need about 5 different accessories for each gun, no matter how many others I've got. :rolleyes:

dawnbtn8
February 3, 2010, 11:08 AM
Thank you, I really do appreciate your ideas! :)

kraigwy
February 3, 2010, 11:34 AM
Books:

Hatchers Notebook, Gen Hatcher, or any of his books
The Accurate Rifle ...Warren Page
Anthing by Col P. Sharpe, Walen, etc.
PO Ackley
Cpt Crossman

The list is endless

'BOOKS'

davlandrum
February 3, 2010, 11:38 AM
I know I would like a good range bag to carry my junk in. I hate having to rummage around looking for targets, hearing protection, etc to get together to go to the range.

Brian Pfleuger
February 3, 2010, 11:38 AM
Consider your friend carefully before buying gift certificates. Some people, myself included, can consider them to be pretty thoughtless. I mean, you could just hand me a $20 if that's all my birthday means to you. I'd much prefer something selected because you're my friend and know what I like and/or need. I don't need $20 for getting older.

dawnbtn8
February 3, 2010, 11:50 AM
All very great ideas, thank you!

I would also agree about the gift certificate thing some what too. They always seem so impersonal and I think I know him well enough to pick some things I'm sure he will enjoy. I will most definitely make sure whatever I end up purchasing is exchangeable so if he absolutely hates it he can exchange it for something else....LOL :D

ARDogman
February 3, 2010, 12:12 PM
Subscription to gun magazine would be a good one.

Pahoo
February 3, 2010, 12:22 PM
I feel that most Gun guys are also Knife guys. So buy him a new knife in teh price range you choose. Have to agree that most gift cards are too easy, but your might get one from Cabelas or Midway or like in kind.

Be Safe !!!

uncyboo
February 3, 2010, 12:27 PM
I always ask for powder. I make sure my wife has a detailed list (including current prices and where to purchase) coming up on a gift receiving day. Most folks will ask her what I want. She just reads from the list.

precision_shooter
February 3, 2010, 12:28 PM
Consider your friend carefully before buying gift certificates. Some people, myself included, can consider them to be pretty thoughtless. I mean, you could just hand me a $20 if that's all my birthday means to you. I'd much prefer something selected because you're my friend and know what I like and/or need. I don't need $20 for getting older.

While I do agree that at times a Gift Cert./Card can be impersonal, it can also be very thoughtful! Take me for example, my other half wants to buy me gun related stuff but knows nothing about it or what I have, need, or want. While it is the thought that counts, I find it a little frustrating when I receive a gift of something that I already have, don't need, want, or have a use for. Then I have to return it or exchange it for something else. It's a lot easier to just be able to go in there with gift card in hand and browse or pick out what I want, need, or could use the first time around. I got the gift card from someone who cares about me and thought enough about me to not get me something they know nothing about and hope that I like it, want it, need it, or could use it...

dgludwig
February 3, 2010, 12:41 PM
You can't go wrong in giving any shooter ammunition (for a firearm he already has, of course)-even if he's a reloader. And I agree completely with precision shooter's thoughts on the merits of a gift card. I'm always grateful for one and, in a sense, for those that know me, it's the most "personal" gift you can give me.

Brian Pfleuger
February 3, 2010, 12:42 PM
While I do agree that at times a Gift Cert./Card can be impersonal, it can also be very thoughtful!

Yes, wrong choice of words. Impersonal is what I was after.:)

Adrian
February 3, 2010, 12:54 PM

Consider it this way: if someone hands me $20 for my birthday, I'll probably do the responsible thing and spend it on things I'd buy anyways, like groceries, gas, or paying off bills. At best I might go out for an extra lunch and spend $10-$15 of it on that indulgence, then go back to being responsible. Either way I'm not getting $20 of fun out of it.

If someone gives me a $20 certificate to Natchez, then, hey, my hands are tied! I have to go spend it on toys. And then I have to buy a little bit more, because it's silly to pay $5 shipping on $20 worth of stuff; I may as well pick up some other things I've been eying and bring the shipping percentage down...

A well-chosen gift card is like a license to spend money purely for fun.

tINY
February 3, 2010, 02:06 PM
http://www.technoframes.com/en/prodotti.php

These guys have some interesting ammo cases...

-tINY

johnwilliamson062
February 3, 2010, 02:39 PM
What in the world would you use those boxes on? if I was an executive at Ruger or something I MIGHT think about putting one on my desk instead of a cigar case, but I doubt it. Does anyone have one? What are they using it for?

If this is just a friend I think a gift certificate is fine, especially if you aren't a shooter.

My brother and I just exchange boxes of top grade Hornady SD ammo in such situations.

johnwilliamson062
February 3, 2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.amazon.com/BULLET-shaped-TRIMMER-clipper-remover/dp/B001CEBGBK/ref=sr_1_71?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1265228870&sr=1-71

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

dawnbtn8
February 3, 2010, 03:33 PM
@ johnwilliamson062- that is too funny! Not a bad idea though as he is a guy and we all know how hairy some of you can be. haha :D

Picher
February 3, 2010, 03:35 PM
You might get him a Moto-Tool with lots of attachments. Even if he has one, another one comes in handy.

Another suggestion is gunsmithing tools from Brownells.com. They have nice screwdriver sets, trigger pull gauges, fine Arkansas and India stones for trigger work. I use the parallel and triangle stones a lot. Pin punches of various sizes and small files are especially useful.

Then there are the old standbys like Casenit steel-hardening compound, Oxypho-Blue, and Brownells Acraglas Gel. Gunsmith screwdrivers are also necessary, but he probably has some.

COgunner
February 3, 2010, 06:11 PM
How about an NRA membership, if he doesn't have one?

bigautomatic
February 3, 2010, 07:07 PM
COgunner- Thats the best idea yet. Not a material object or cool toy, but much more important (in my eyes). May want to check and see if he is already a member first. I think a good range bag (think extra large) or a nice set of hollow ground screwdrivers is right up there too.