PDA

View Full Version : Im left handed should i spend the extra$$$?

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 08:17 PM
I want a weatherby mark v but its a custom order thing for a lefty mark v:rolleyes:.Anyhow should i just buy the mark v deluxe in right hand or spend the 300$ and custom order stuff etc and get a left handed gun?2400$ .is a huge purchase and its not something i could go back on. Also i shoot right handed rifle's regularly but i figured if im spending the money it should be special to me .

Noskov
February 2, 2010, 08:23 PM
My father is left handed and wondered the same thing when he was thinking of getting a firearm. I'm partially left handed, I tend to shoot my semi-auto rifles right handed but I can shoot bolt actions in either left or right.

I'd save the money personally and go right handed.

fustache44
February 2, 2010, 08:24 PM
If you plan on shooting well with the rifle, spend the money.

I've bought my wife 2 lefty rifles. She can make do with a normal one, but since getting one made for her dominate arm, she does much better.

YMMV. I feel bad for you southpaws.. Nothing works right out of the box..

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 08:26 PM
yeah a left hand mark v is 3200$ a right hand is 2500$ I just wish weatherby's came stainless .

moosemike
February 2, 2010, 08:34 PM
I'm a lefty and prefer right hand bolts. I've had left hand bolts but they really didn't do much for me. If I'm hunting with a bolt gun I'm not worried how quick I can get a second shot off, otherwise I'd be using a pump or lever. I'd rather have the selection that right hand bolts offer than be limited to the couple styles of lefties that each manufacturer offers. As far as shooting to your potential it makes no difference which side the bolt is on.

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 08:37 PM
Well heres how i shoot always .Prone position bi-pod supports the front with my hand on top of the stock like a machine gun style hold if you know what i mean.so its not entirely important .Know what im just go with a right hand mark v and get me a lefty a bolt this winter lol

oneounceload
February 2, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have both LH and RH bolt guns. I find a RH bolt to not be a problem as I use the hand holding the forearm (RH) to work the bolt as something fairly easy

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 08:52 PM
See whith the bi-pod i have a free hand to chamber another round etc.

Kreyzhorse
February 2, 2010, 09:29 PM
I'm a lefty and the only left handed rifle I have is a bolt action Savage. When I first started hunting, I used a right handed bolt and found that a follow up shot, if needed is a bit tricker when working a right handed bolt action due to the extra time involved. Keep in mind, I worked the bolt left handed. If you can work the bolt right handed, it may not take as much extra time.

Once I made the switch to a left handed bolt, I'll never hunt with a right handed bolt action again.

As far as semi autos and handguns, right handed versions work just fine for lefties.

pvt.Long
February 2, 2010, 09:33 PM
I olnly have one bolt gun and it hardly sees the light of day being its a 1903 springfield and ammo's $20 a box for 06. I love my semi autos

fisherman66
February 2, 2010, 09:43 PM
Which eye is dominant?

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 09:53 PM
left eye dom.

Dougw47
February 2, 2010, 09:59 PM
I am right-handed and rt eye dom. But, I had cancer in my rt arm and shoulder and big operation to piece me back together. Rt arm/shoulder will not take the recoil anymore.

I have been practicing shooting my rt-handed bolts - left handed, and it works alright...just slow to reload and I fumble getting back on my cheek weld. I have never had to shoot more than once on a deer (knock wood) so I was willing to go out and hunt this year. But, it made me think.

If I am going to hunt deer left-handed, shouldn't I really go out and get a left- handed rifle? Cheapest one I have seen has been $700, but really...if I am going to go after the game left handed, shouldn't I really be willing to spend the $$$ to buy the proper tools? Or is it just a pride/vanity thing?

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 10:13 PM
IM thinking now that be it right handed or left handed sounds so minuscule.
Might just take a little more skill lol

Regolith
February 2, 2010, 10:37 PM
I'm a lefty, and I've found that I prefer right-handed bolt actions provided that they balance at the action or just behind the action. It also helps if the rifle itself is fairly light. The reason for this is that I can cycle the action fairly fast and still get fairly accurate shots off within 100 yards using my left hand to steady the rifle/pull the trigger and my right hand to cycle the bolt.

If the rifle is heavy out front (or just heavy in general) I prefer a left handed bolt, because it's difficult to keep the gun steady with just my left arm.

Unfortunately, left-handed guns usually cost more than right-handed ones. I think Remington, for instance, charges $100 or so more for their left-handed versions of the Model 700.

I don't particularly care what hand a semi-auto or pump action is, though, so long as it doesn't eject shells into my shoulder (or face, such as some models of bullpups will do). I've been using right-handed long guns so long that safety positioning isn't an issue.

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 10:44 PM
I want a 460 weatherby and dont want in hickups when firing it lol but it shouldn't be to much different shooting style etc than the other right hand guns i use

kilimanjaro
February 2, 2010, 10:49 PM
Right-handed, but left eye is the good one, so I shoot left-handed, with right-hand bolts exclusively. It's not an issue for me, the quick second shot is not required. I prefer semi-automatic rifles, but I personally would not spend the money on a left-hand bolt rifle. I would spend the money on a double rifle, instead, that would be much better.

I'm very partial to Ruger No. 1 rifles, no handedness issues whatsover with them.

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 10:52 PM
well i cant afford a sxs rifle a mark 5 460 wby is just about out of reach skimming the bottom of the cauldron here lol.

theaceco
February 2, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'd spend the money for the preferred rifle, since it will obviously help the accuracy.

On a side note, you should take up bowling, it's the only thing that southpaws have an advantage at lmao

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 11:00 PM
actually im better with a shotgun than most people i know ;).

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 11:02 PM
I will buy me a lefty rifle (300 win mag) maybe in the winter but my first big buy is the beast 460 wby

berettaprofessor
February 3, 2010, 11:12 AM
I'm a lefty with both right and left-handed bolt guns. If you're spending that amount of scratch anyway, $300 to get the left-handed bolt is well worth it. It simply is smoother to throw a left-handed rather than right-handed bolt.

Scorch
February 3, 2010, 11:54 AM
FWIW, my Dad was left-handed, but he shot right-handed for most of his life. For his 70th birthday, I bought him a new left-hand Rem 700 with a Burris scope on it. He whined about it being a bolt gun (he had hunted with a Savage 99 for 50 years) and hemmed and hawed about taking it out and shooting it, and even talked to his local gun shop about trading it in. Then he and a friend went out and shot it, and he was a raving fan from then on. There is nothing like actually being comfortable with what you are shooting to make you enjoy it. My opinion is to go ahead and get the left hand Mark V.

moosemike
February 3, 2010, 12:15 PM
I'd hate to see what a lefty .460 weatherby would cost. Cabelas has the right hand .460's in quite often and they usually fetch between $2,000 and $2,500 used. You can save some money by getting one of the synthetic versions, which may be the best bet anyway as Peter H. Capstick said the 460's like to snap the wood stock off at the wrist.

James R. Burke
February 3, 2010, 05:06 PM
I agree if your going to spend that muck might has well get the lefty. I had the same problem with my wife when she started hunting deer. We got her a Ruger No 1 A Light Sporter. Does not matter what hand you shoot with, but it is a single shot, and lots of folks for that kind of money like having a few more shots if they need them. Good luck on your purchase and get what you feel is the best. Then you can start thinking about some good optics. Always something.

eastbank
February 3, 2010, 06:35 PM
i.m a left handed shooter and use five left hand rifles and they did not break the bank, a rem. 581 LH .22, a rem 700 LH sps 7mm08, a rem 700bdl LH 3006,a win. 70 LH 270 cf,and a win 70 LH 7mm,mag cf. they will take care of any animal i need to kill in the lower 48, i shoot them all and i like them. eastbank