PDA

View Full Version : 7mm Mag for small deer

tightgrouper
February 2, 2010, 05:10 PM
Here in the FL panhandle, we have the smaller deer of North America.
I'm wondering if the 7mm magnum is too much for these deer. I understand that, ultimately, you want to kill the beast. I'm just wondering if the 7mm mag is over doing it for deer 120/150-200lbs.(a 200lb deer is a very good size and not the norm around here)
I've read the 7mm mag makes a good elk gun, and that it's good for long-range targets. After reading some ballistics on the round, it's probably excellent for reaching on out there. I'm just concerned for the little deer on my land. Because another interesting point I read is that, at closer than normal range, (whatever that is), the 7mm magnum disintedrates in the meat loosing it's energy and effectivelness. After reading some bullet ballistics, I would think that <100m could be considered too close.

Abel
February 2, 2010, 05:23 PM
I'm wondering if the 7mm magnum is too much for these deer.

It is too big. I shot one for years & the meat damage was catastrophic. Is someone trying to talk you into this caliber?

crghss
February 2, 2010, 05:46 PM
If thats the gun you have I would use it. If you buying then I'd look at 7mm-08, .270, .308 or .30-06. Lowers expense and recoil.

7mm magnum disintegrates

I wouldn't worry about this. Just use a quality ammo manufacture.

mesabi
February 2, 2010, 05:54 PM
If you're buying a new deer rifle I'd suggest a 30-30. Unless you're going for large game or shooting over a clearing I personally think the 7mm mag is too much.

sc928porsche
February 2, 2010, 05:54 PM
The rifle is just fine. Put the round in the boiler room and not into the sholders and you wont loose much meat. My 25-06 was down for a short while last year and I used my 300WM with success. Lost some ribs and all the edible internals, but the hams, sholders, backstrape etc. were fine.

James R. Burke
February 2, 2010, 06:47 PM
Like CRGHSS if you have it use it. But if you dont you could go alot smaller were your at. A 30-30 would work just fine or something close to it.

TriumphGuy
February 2, 2010, 06:49 PM
For all the bigger FL deer are and considering that you'll probably be trudging through the swamp and not shooting past 100 yds, I'd go for a .30-30 or .357.

Unless you like burger better than chops, anyway.

thekyrifleman
February 2, 2010, 06:52 PM
I've used one for over 40 years on whitetails...As was stated if you put the bullet behid the shoulder no loss unless you want to eat ribs too!! Bullet design is critical. Sierra 140 gr Pro Hunters go through and through. I killed them from 10 yds to 300 with the same results....dead. Hit the hams and there will be really big holes!!!

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 06:53 PM
if it a neckshot it doesnt matter unless your a vampire(jking) .my bro just got a 7mm in a m77 about and i will use it from coyote to deer etc

uncyboo
February 2, 2010, 06:59 PM
He's not asking for which rifle to buy. He want's to know if 7 Mag is "too big".

No such thing. Put it right behind a shoulder for a through and through in the rib cage and meat loss will be minimized.

Is it more than you need? Yes. Big deal. If you can shoot it well, use it. That's a much bigger deal. The main reason the "magnums" are an issue is recoil and muzzle blast, and ALOT of hunters develope a flinch, regardless of how macho they think they are, or want everyone else to think they are.

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 07:01 PM
yeah im not a believer in overkill thats a hippy/liberal thing

Abel
February 2, 2010, 07:05 PM
overkill thats a hippy/liberal thing

Its a matter of using the right tool for the job. There is a such thing as finesse you know. Why drop a boulder on a chicken when all you have to do is wring its neck?

uncyboo
February 2, 2010, 07:05 PM
if it a neckshot it doesnt matter

I used to shoot for necks almost exclusively, until my first bona-fide experience with a 7 Mag. A hunting buddy got one and the first deer he shot with it he hit in the neck twice. Why twice? First shot knocked it down. Little spike whitetail. Deer got up so he shot again. Deer falls down. He climbs down to inspect his kill and this deer gets up and runs off. We spend the next hour tracking this deer, in the dark, just so we can finish it with a shotgun.

Skinning this deer revealed 2 entrance and exit wounds in the deer's neck. He never hit bone, just meat. No more neck shots for me. They are NOT automatic. I want to take out the running gear.

uncyboo
February 2, 2010, 07:08 PM
Its a matter of using the right tool for the job. There is a such thing as finesse you know. Why drop a boulder on a chicken when all you have to do is wring its neck?

Maybe a 7 Mag is all he has access to. The question was "was it too big". The answer is no. Is it more than he needs? Yes, but that's not what he asked.

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 07:13 PM
thinking about getting me Hunting RIFLE IN JUNE HOPEFULLY SOMETHING IN .458 caliber aint im not talking about a 45/70 lol

tightgrouper
February 2, 2010, 07:17 PM
It is too big. I shot one for years & the meat damage was catastrophic. Is someone trying to talk you into this caliber?

No sir, no-one's trying to talk me into one. An indirect relative was given permission to hunt on our land, and he bought a 7mm mag to hunt deer with. The new 7mm mag has taken an 8pt and 6pt back-to-back weekends. He was hunting with a 30-30 before his 7mm magnum. He killed a 6pt with the 30-30 this season as well. He brought a friend, which he wasn't supposed to be doing, and his buddy had this 7mm Magnum. My cousin shot at a deer and missed. Then his buddy dropped the deer with his 7mm mag. This was the 8pt. Then the next weekend, my cousin got another 6pt.
Moving forward a couple weeks. My cousin called me last Saturday evening from the farm, my family land.(pioneered almost 150yrs ago. Now my father is the only one that hasn't sold out, which is 85acres) So, my cousin calls the other night and tells me about his new 7mm mag that he bought from a buddy of his for an excellent price. (He did get a heck-of-a-deal.) I just congratulated his purchase and deal. I figured that it was allot of gun for these small deer. I remember my pops getting very 'opinionated' towards someone useing a 7mm mag for our deer in the past, but I wasn't getting into that that evening with my cuz. Plus, I wanted to educate myself on the cartridge before bringing the subject forward with him.

Maybe he'll realize the loss of quality meat, and reason will come into play. Logic is not strong with this one though.lol...He's a novice deer hunter. He has allot to learn, and he isn't surrounded with intellectuals.

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 07:21 PM
dead is dead either by a243 or a hand grenade

qwman68
February 2, 2010, 07:22 PM
i say if its all you have then thats what i would use. IS IT IDEAL, NO.. DOES IT WORK? YES.. IF I WERE YOU I MAY LOOK INTO GETTING SOMETHING A LITTLE SMALLER LIKE A 243 OR A 7MM08.. MAYBE EVEN A 223.. IF ITS LEGAL THERE..

crimsondave
February 2, 2010, 07:25 PM
Has more to do with bullet type than caliber. I've killed 5 or 6 deer with a .375 H&H. I killed one this year with a 300 H&H. The ballistic tips in my 300 did more damage than the soft points in the 375. Front shoulders will be gone if you shoot them, if you don't, they won't. I don't believe in too much gun, unless it's a grenade launcher.

If I had to choose either a 375 H&H or a 243 to hunt whitetail, I'd take the 375 every time.

uncyboo
February 2, 2010, 07:27 PM
It is alot of gun for deer, but if he can place his shots in the correct spot it won't damage any more meat than an '06, .243, 30-30, or even a bow. You're gonna lose at least 2 ribs with any pass through shot, if you eat the ribs at all.

Another problem with macho hunters that find out that they can't shoot their rifles well is the mentality the they can hit the critter anywhere and it'll drop them. Put it through the ribs right behind the shoulder junction and it'll all be good. You'll have to track him 30 or 40 yards sometimes. So what?

uncyboo
February 2, 2010, 07:34 PM
tightgrouper, I see where you're coming from now. You have a novice hunter with a big gun and you are concerned about waste, wounded critters, etc. That is truly honorable. If you're that concerned, put him through a proficiency test. Have him take his trust ol' 30-30 and the 7 Mag, place a target at 100 yds, and have him shoot off-hand with both rifles. Maybe 4 or 6 inch circle. Time him. 3 shots in 10 seconds or so. When it's over, you can justify letting him hunt with what you, as the land owner, is comfortable with.

tightgrouper
February 2, 2010, 07:37 PM
yeah, as someone stated. dead is dead.
I remember hearing my pops on a little rant about the '7 mag and those little deer.' I was thinking, 'The point is to kill the deer.'...so...sounds like the 7 Mag is really good for that.
I know I'd rather a really dead animal than a wounded and gone animal.

jmr40
February 2, 2010, 07:42 PM
A 223 is plenty for small Florida deer. A 260 or 243 about perfect. If all I had was a 7mag I would hunt with what I had and not worry.

tightgrouper
February 2, 2010, 07:43 PM
tightgrouper, I see where you're coming from now. You have a novice hunter with a big gun and you are concerned about waste, wounded critters, etc. That is truly honorable. If you're that concerned, put him through a proficiency test. Have him take his trust ol' 30-30 and the 7 Mag, place a target at 100 yds, and have him shoot off-hand with both rifles. Maybe 4 or 6 inch circle. Time him. 3 shots in 10 seconds or so. When it's over, you can justify letting him hunt with what you, as the land owner, is comfortable with.

Yes, one of my concerns is tearing good deer meat up.(waste) More for the kill than the sport, and blessing of meat.

Dukezern
February 2, 2010, 08:01 PM
Honestly, the 7mm Remington Magnum is my rifle of choice for deer. It's extremely accurate, can reach way out there, and hits hard. I have killed deer with the 7 mag ranging from 80 lbs to 200 lbs. Yeah, it will do some damage, but it's not what I consider "unreasonable" damage. I use 162 gr. Hornady SSTs. The entry hole is is about the size of a quarter and the exit hole about the size of a baseball, maybe a little smaller. As one of the other gentleman suggested, hit it in the ribs and you should be fine. Few people keep the rib area anyway and you can cut most of the bloodshot out of the shoulder or loin. Bottom line, it's up to you. I don't mind losing a little meat if it means the deer will drop on the spot, and the 7mm will ususally drop them where they stand although I did have a buck I took through the shoulder run almost 200 yards before dropping. One thing to remember...you can ask 1,000 hunters which is the best rifle and you'll get 1,000 different answers. I've read some of the responses you've received and have seen rifles suggsted from .30-.30s to .30-06s to 270s and 243s. All of them are very good suggestions and all have passed the test of time. With this type of question, you will never get a concensus. There will be those like me that say a 7 mag is fine, and those that adamately insist it's too big. But again, it's what is "acceptable" to you. I don't consider the damage rendered by my 7 mag to be unreasonable. Yeah, my .30-.30 does less damage but the deer also go further before they drop. It's a tradeoff. And on the good side, you can also use the 7 mag for bigger game if you choose. And that's what it boils down to...your choice entirely.

Keep safe, my friend.

tightgrouper
February 2, 2010, 08:10 PM
yes. With the variables at hand. I'd rather my cuz be more capable of the kill than less. And the 7 Mag will make the odds more in his favor.

Mobuck
February 2, 2010, 09:17 PM
I used the Hornady 139 spire point boattail for years on whitetails and coyotes. It opens up really quick and makes somewhat of a mess if directed into the edible parts. I've shot deer and yotes from 15 to 500 yards and don't remember anything reasonbly hit escaping.

Kreyzhorse
February 2, 2010, 09:24 PM
No, a 7mm Rem Mag is not too much for deer. I've killed small Kentucky deer with mine and the meat damage is no worse than that I've seen with smaller cartridges.

Dougw47
February 2, 2010, 09:45 PM
I dropped in on my cousin in Central Texas in 2005, I was on my way back from a funeral and did not plan to deer hunt. Rode out with him to drop a round bale for the cows and pulled off into a pasture that was about 500 yards long. He says see that deer? About 300 yrds off was a buck, 6 pt as it turned out, he asked me if I wanted to take it. I said that it was a little longer shot than I normally take, he says I got just the thing...pulls out a Weatherby 7mag.

I was still in my shirt and tie, suit pants. I thought a minute and said "What is it sighted for?" He said "Two Hundred, just hold top of the back."

Click, bang...flop.

If you ask me, 7mm is not to much to use on deer. Weighed 126 lbs. It was good eating.

Art Eatman
February 2, 2010, 10:18 PM
Probably more precise to say that a 7 Mag is more than is needed, rather than "too much". Even so, you don't ruin meat if you don't shoot into the eating part.

While a .223 is adequate for small deer with today's available bullets, I still would prefer a .243. I've tagged a bit over twenty bucks with mine, using the 85-grain Sierra HPBT. It definitely turns the heart/lungs into a double-handful of mush. Federal loads it, and my testing has shown it to be a sub-MOA load, same as my handloads.

uncyboo
February 3, 2010, 11:28 AM
And the 7 Mag will make the odds more in his favor.

....if he can shoot it well. That's why I suggested the proficiency test. To put your mind at ease, and give some weight to your athority as landowner to dictate what gun will be used to kill your deer.

tightgrouper
February 3, 2010, 12:01 PM
I spoke to him this morning. Actually just got off the phone about 30min ago. We might meet at the farm this weekend, and I plan on taking your advice. That's very good advice. My point is going to be follow up shots. (his recovery speed & accuracy). Exactly what your suggestion will demonstrate.

Thank you for the suggestion uncyboo.

GeauxTide
February 3, 2010, 01:15 PM
Only thing to remember is to use 154-162gr bullets. Any standard bullet under 150gr and over 3000fps will cause the damage stated above.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
February 3, 2010, 01:17 PM
The 7mm mag IS NOT TOO BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There ain't no such thing as too dead.

Is it more then is needed? Probably yes.

The worse damage I have ever seen in a deer was caused by a 30/30, back in the 50s, thankfully I didn't make that shot, but it was a hit to a ham at relitively close range.

That bullet was not up to the stress involved, even from a 30/30.

In the years since that time, I have witnessed hits, just as bad with far larger rifles, but with premimum bullets the damage was mimimal considering.

The point is, use bullets of high quality/integraty and enjoy your 7 mag.

I reguarely hunt whitetails here in Ideeeeeho with a 300mag, loaded with a 165gr Nosler Partition with a muzzle velocity of 3200 + fps.

Is it more then I need for whitetails? Yes, but elk & moose (should I happen to have a moose tag) share the same seasons.

Quality/premimum bullets will get you quality results without cup an core damage.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

rodwhaincamo
February 3, 2010, 01:28 PM
Uncyboo has an outstanding idea. A 7mm mag isn't "too much", but as was said, many can't shoot them well due to the recoil. To me a magnum is for loooong shots and/or really large critters.

pwillie
February 3, 2010, 05:58 PM
When I hunted with a 7 mag,I used 139 gr Hornady bullets. I always shot them in the base of the neck,never threw any meat away,and had clean kills. 50 yds or 400 yds,doesn't matter. Best all around cartridge for hunting white tails.I now use a 257 Weatherby,which is just as bad.Local sporting goods dealer use's 7 mag for Elk also.I don't think there is any such thing as over kill.:D

Jekyll
February 5, 2010, 09:56 PM
I've taken many deer with a 7mm RM; Georgia whitetail, Colorado mule deer, New York whitetail and Washington mule deer. I've taken them from 25 feet through 400 yards. Experience taught me to go for the heart/lungs and not the shoulders. Its not too big nor, is it more than what's needed. It is a choice and it works very well.

My only caution is that the 7mm RM comes in a long and heavy rifle. I carry a .270 stalker or a Savage 99 in .300 Savage now when in the eastern woods. They are much lighter and easier to carry. I take my 7 if I'm going to be sitting on a large field or power line.

benroe
February 6, 2010, 12:01 AM
Follow up shots? If you hit a whitetail in the hoof with a 7mag it is going to die instantly!! If the OP feels he needs that powerful a weapon to kill deer then so be it. Deer have been stacked up like corewood here in TN with the 22lr cartridge (not legally of course). If he hunts alot of whitetail with the 7mag his dog will stay fat as a cow!! In all seriousness if he is going to be doing alot of long range shots over 400yds the 7mag would be great. If the shots are going to be done at shorter distances there are alot better cartridges that come in lighter weapons.

youp
February 6, 2010, 06:24 AM
Nope. A 7 mm Mag will kill a deer just as dead as one can get. You may be able to find a round with less muzzle blast and recoil. That tends towards better accuracy. As stated put it behind the shoulders and get your venison.

I am sure your Dad would think the round was too much; money, recoil, weight, and meat damage.

skoro
February 6, 2010, 08:11 AM
Maybe he'll realize the loss of quality meat, and reason will come into play. Logic is not strong with this one though.lol...He's a novice deer hunter. He has allot to learn, and he isn't surrounded with intellectuals.

That 7mm mag is plenty good medicine for long range shots on elk and moose. A bit much for small deer. Sounds like that 30-30 is just the thing he needs for his situation.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
February 6, 2010, 07:34 PM
I may be an Ol'Coot, but over the years I have been there and done that enough to know that Bullet quality matters.

For those of you who keep talking about excessive meat distruction, you are talking about one of two things, lots of missplaced hits or, and more likely, you are shooting or have seen the results of others who are shooting bullets of less then premimum quality.

Anyone shooting such bullets in a high velocity/energy cartridge are getting just what was paid for if meat damage is excessive.

As I recall, the question ask if the 7 mag was to large for whitetail.

The answer is still yes, it is larger then is needed, but it is not to large providing care is taken in bullet choice.

Said it before, and I say it again, there just ain't no such thing as too dead!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

triggerhappy2006
February 6, 2010, 08:04 PM
I have killed 6 animals with a 7mm Mag, 3 deer(2 were under 200lbs 1 was over) a jackal( it was a hand-load for taking down Kudu and Zebra so it blew its shoulder apart) and an Impala and a coyote....The Impala and the Deer were all at >250m and the deer were shot through the shoulders and the Impala was a chest shot that went well past the vitals....there was very minimal meat damage. The coyote was shot with a normal deer round(110 grain round and yes some people can say that 110 grains is too light for a deer)...clean entry and exit wounds very little pelt damage. If you aren't confident with your shot placement to use a 110 grain bullet...there is a 140grain round that would still probably be fine for any animal from yote's to to black bear
I was always under the impression that meat damage had more to do with the WEIGHT of the bullet apposed to the velocity of the bullet or the powder behind it. So my .02 is no 7mm Mag is not over-kill with factory loads, .338 Lapua yea that MIGHT be over doing it, 7mm nope one of the best all around cartridges.

David Turley
February 28, 2010, 07:13 AM
theres no such a thing as over kill if youre worried about meat loss shoot them in the neck or rib cage the good thing about the 7mm is you dont have to track a deer after you shoot it

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
February 28, 2010, 11:10 AM
Meat damage Has an extreme amount to do with BULLET QUALITY.

Yes, your tipical cup and core bullet has put down thousands and thousands of game animals and will continue to do so even as there is an increased move toward bonded and leadless bullets.

However, and I know I am beating the same ol'horse again and again but truth is not always excepted the first go around as some seem to be slow learners.

Use premimum quality bullets for premimum quality results.

Are you going to see meat damage with that level of bullet?

Yep, that is what puts a critter down, but I've seen it folks, the bad shot that from time to time happens causes more meat loss with the low end bullets then with the high end bullet.

The cost advantage of cheap bullets, when all other costs of equipment, time and travel are figured in, is lost.

What is the point when it isn't a factor of quility bullets not shooting well or equally well harvesting game.

I am in the process of preparing to load and shoot a 45/70 for my normal hunting, and as such will be using a slow - to modern standards - bullet which is said to kill like lightning with minimal damage. We are talking bullet size here folks!

But for the high velocity rifles I have shot since the 60s, which has included a 7mm mag., there is no quality replacement for quality bullets.

To my Ol'way of thinking, the reason to go hunting is to bring meat home and as much as possible.

So, in answer to the question, is a 7 mag too much gun, the answer is NOT AT ALL when your using premimum bullets!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

tightgrouper
February 28, 2010, 11:23 AM
appreciate that Ol Coot!

handlerer
February 28, 2010, 02:09 PM
I have to agree with Coot, about bullet construction. In '76 I started reloading for 7 mag, after finding a MDL 700 ADL in closeout sale at a MS Coast Gibsons going out of business sale, for $110. My cousins were amused and invited me Deer hunting at their spot in George Co., in the river bottom. I wanted to play with my sexy new magnum rifle. Bullets like today's premiums, didn't really exist then, with the exception of the Nosler Partition. I loaded some Speer 150gr spitzer sp's, next to maximum in the manual at that time. I took a quick shot at a smallish buck at all of 60'. The jacket and core separated but penetrated the shoulder, then mostly disintegrated. Pretty much most of the front end was black jello. My cousins said they let me bring my rifle to make dog food for their dogs. I used my 30-30 next time and was better served at river bottom ranges. 7mag will do almost anything you want a rifle to do, maybe too well at close range with a marginal bullet.

mackillan
February 28, 2010, 03:34 PM
A 7mm Rem Mag is a great calibre for deer. It is a tad light for moose although 160 grain accubonds seem to do the trick. It isnt a 300 win mag.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
February 28, 2010, 05:03 PM
Yep handlerer, you are so correct.

A #1 which I once owned now belongs to my oldest son.

That rifle shoots a Speer 150gr boat tail VERY!!!!!!!!! well so Jeff uses the rifle with that bullet once in a while, going into the hunt knowing that he better make a very good hit or loose meat. Greatly excessive amounts of meat!

If on the other hand he is using his #1 - 300win mag., which also was mine before passing it to him, he is using a 200gr Nosler partition at a speed equal to or greater then the 150 Speer produces from the 270.

However, equal hits with the larger bullet produce much less damage, while there is no question about the dead part.

So, the point is shoot em as big as you like, enjoy, AND CAN SHOOT WELL, but always with premimum bullets. You won't be sorry!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

BusGunner007
February 28, 2010, 07:21 PM
Exactly how much meat is 'wasted' by using a particularly 'more than needed' cartridge/caliber...?
I've never seen this described or pictured on the internet.

Some folks scream about wasting meat, but they never say how much it is.
Somebody oughtta give an example...

kozak6
February 28, 2010, 07:39 PM
A basic Lee Loader is very inexpensive.

If it's too much gun, it shouldn't be hard to load it down a little.

oneounceload
February 28, 2010, 07:47 PM
Having used the 7mag for mulies out west, where the average weight is 200+, I can tell you that the 160 gr bullets I used would blow right through the deer - even at 200 yards. IMO, here in FL, the Model 7 in 7-08 would be more than sufficient

bamaranger
March 2, 2010, 12:27 AM
I have seen that, and worse with missing spine (whitetail trach) and mangling the jaw with head shots and am opposed to both.

The 7mm mag is big for deer, but very flat w/ the lighter bullets, and was the #1 R.O.W/green field/shooting house rifle in a club I was in for many years for that very reason.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a new purchase, but
If you've got it, use it, and if you get a chance to hunt something bigger, you won't need another rifle. Invest the money in ammo, components, or club dues.
Only way I'd say change is if your having to lug the mag length bbl and action, (and probably big glass) thru the thick stuff on a REGULAR basis.

hardluk1
March 2, 2010, 02:01 PM
Nothing wrong about the 7mm rem mag . You have a large choice of bullets and velocities. It will do the job well on the small southern deer and those normal for most state deer two. Heavier bullets and your ready for elk, moose, and bear. Just a real good gun. You can get a handier rifle with a short barrel but think about where you hunt the most,walking around, sitting in a stand or shooting house. I don't know anyone thats put off by a 24 or 26" barrel. I do have a short 21" on a backup 308 but it does not matter to me as to the lenght of the barrel. Just learn about the bullet designs for what you pick just pick the right bullet for the job. Caliber does not matter as much today.

fast-eddie
March 2, 2010, 03:28 PM
Isn't the whole state of florida a pan handle?

publius
March 2, 2010, 05:37 PM
Is it too big, nope. Is it needed, nope. It'll work just fine

Ozzieman
March 2, 2010, 08:21 PM
I reload 7mm REM Mag for a friend for deer.
I found some light loads that make the 7mm less than the 30-06. This was done more for his problem with the light gun he uses and recoil than anything else.
He took one out up in Michigan this year at 200+ yards. Behind the front leg took out some ribs and the heart and came out the other side.
Wasn’t that bad. I saw the deer after he cleaned it and brought it home.
I got the loads from the following:
www.chuckhawks.com and go to the reduced recoil loads.
I loaded it with a Speer SP 145 GR with a rated velocity of 2112 FPS using 4795 powder.
I will admit that at the range the accuracy suffered but he was able to hold sub 3 inch groups at 100 yards.
I don’t own one myself but I feel it’s a great gun for almost any game here in the lower US if its hand loaded.
But with that said his light gun made my 03-A3 (30-06) feel like a 22. That thing was brutal with factory loads.

ForneyRider
March 18, 2010, 01:30 PM
In our East Texas deer party, we have 4 7mm Mags, 1 270 Win, a 300 Savage mdl 99, and a .22-250. The one that drops them the quickest? The .22-250. He neck shoots them.

I hit a small button buck with .223 and knocked him flat, he never got up, and he was dead when I walked over to him.

I shoot 7mm Mag typically, but most guys flinch and gut shoot them or miss. I've taken caribou at 200 and 300 yards, and the 7mm mag is fantastic for that type of hunting.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
March 18, 2010, 02:42 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, excessive meat distruction is about poor bullet quality! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A 7mm mag. will not render excessive meat distruction, PROVIDING YOU ARE USING A BULLET OF QUALITY AND INTEGRETY!!!!!

And again, The worst case of meat distrustion I have ever seen, and this back in the mid 1950s, was with a bad hit from a 30/30.

In the years since that time I have witnessed other equaly bad hits with 7 and 300 mags with far, FAR!!!!!! less meat distruction then the hit from the 30/30.

What is it we don't or refuse to understand about proper BULLET QUALITY for the cartridge in use ???

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Kmar40
March 19, 2010, 08:13 PM
Yeah, you should carry at least a 7mm magnum. Those dog-sized deer in the south are really fierce when they charge. And you may run into a grizzly bear or worse yet a rhino or T Rex. In general, always carry a magnum. You're not a real man unless you carry a magnum. Just remember that.

J/K. You should use 30/30 or less one those pint sized deer. 243, 257, 260, 6.5 Swede are perfect. 223 is ok.

Carrying a magnum to hunt those tiny things is a sign of inbreeding IMO. Biggest baddest mostest magnum diesel think. Compensating for something.

It's also a sign of a bad hunter who thinks that if he uses a small piece of artillery, he'll get the deer the next time he takes an ass shot.

Kmar40
March 19, 2010, 08:26 PM
Meat damage Has an extreme amount to do with BULLET QUALITY.This kind of thinking kills me. Why get some thumper mega turbo magnum then pay $2-$4.50 a round to get premium bullets that WON'T dump the extra energy into the target? Do you get aroused by that magnum boom? Or seeing the flames from the barrel?

The other advise I see is to buy expensive reduced recoil ammo.

Why not use the correct-sized cartridge to begin with? They're freakin bambi's, not cape buffalo. I've heard some people shoot these things with pistols, muzzle loaders, or even (shriek!) arrows?

I used to carry a 40mm grenade launcher but I don't feel poorly armed just because I can't take it hunting. Where does this magnum syndrome come from?

Ihateglock
March 19, 2010, 08:37 PM
7mm is Good for Deer .

The older im getting the more i dislike haveing to go for the a mile Hike to get my Deer. I use Nosler Partician 160 Grain bullits. When i hit those deer with this ,They dont go far and most Drop right there .

Cheapshooter
March 19, 2010, 08:51 PM
The 7 mag is not too much for deer. It may be more than enough for short range, but with an accurate rifle and proper shot placement it is not too much. Yes at 100 yrds or so there are many less powerful calibers that will do the job. Where I hunt in Northern Missouri, from one side of my stand the longest shot would be 150 yds or less, fine for a 30-30, but look the other way, and a shot of 300 yrds is likely. My 7 mag works fine for the 150- yds, but try the 300 yds with the 30-30.

artsmom
March 19, 2010, 11:06 PM
I'll repeat what everybody else has said: Where a deer is hit determines how much meat is spoiled more than what cartridge was used. Don't hit the front or hind quarters, keep the shot lower in the rib cage behind the front shoulder, and you'll have no problems.

So pick whatever floats your boat, as long as the cartridge can make an exit wound with the shot you take.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
March 19, 2010, 11:54 PM
Good Answers Cheapshooter & Ihateglock, and as per Kmar40, well the basic question was, Is the 7mag too much for deer and the answer is NO, inspite of your dislike.

Ideal, maybe not, but if it is what you have, with the proper loadings/bullets, why not?

I use premimum quality bullets - Nosler Partitions, and my loads do not cost me, "$2 - $4.50" per shot. Not even close.

Did I need the rifle I used for the two White Tails I harvested this past Fall? no.

However, I also carried an elk tag, bear tag and have the possibility of drawing a moose tag any of which may present the very possible situation of a harvest oppertunity at 300 - 400 yds.

Just how many rifles should I carry just so I won't be over gunned if I happen on a white tail at 40 yds as apposed to a moose at 350, yet be ready and able should the moose be the target and it moving into the timber at the far side of a large clearcut?

Two rifles, 3, 4, or maybe a whole cart full?

I think not. My rifle is able to handle whatever the situation maybe at any given time.

This has nothing to do with "magnum syndrome" as per Kmar40. I have been at this hunting game for long enough to know what works for me and my rifle is a fine and efficient piece of equipment even if it happens to have "magnum" in it's name.

Following Kmar40's reasoning I would be over gunned should I happen to be hunting with a .22 rimfire "Magnum" or heaven forbid a .224 that happened to have Weatherby Magnum stamped on the case head.

Because I desire to begin hunting with my own cast bullets, I am prepairing test loads and readying a RUGER #1 in 45/70.

Now, this cartridge does not happen to have "magnum" attached to it's name, but I can promise you that with a poor bullet and even at what today are considered extremely slow velocities it can be very distructive!! Just like the 30/30 I wrote of earlier.

However, the goal is to develop a quality load in the range of 1200 - 1500fps and do so with a bullet able to produce results without the distruction produced by a bullet of lessor quality.

Will I need to pass on a possible shot in the ranges of 300 or more yards?

Yep, but that is a possibility I am will to deal with for the oppertunity to hunt with ammunition which is a far as possible totally of my making.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

RedneckFur
March 20, 2010, 12:18 AM
For me, it comes down to a simple question. Do you want to kill deer? Or harvest meat? If killing and watching guts fly is your goal, use the biggest, baddest, fastest thumper you can find. If getting the most meat you can out of a deer is important to you, use something a bit more reasonable. In florida, a 30-30, 357mag carbine, 243, etc will do you just fine.

Charshooter
March 20, 2010, 12:43 AM
I shot a few deer with a 300 Winchester magnum, as well as a 270 Winchester and now I use a 260 Remington, all will do the job well. The big magnum will not tear up anymore meat if you place your shots right. Then I have only used the 300 when it was what I had, usually in Elk country. The 260 with 120 grain bullets will kill then just as well.

In brush country where shots are closer, I like the 30-30 or 35 Remington just fine. I heavy brush I will use a 44 magnum.

My point is that one cartridge is not the best; it depends on the hunting situation more than the cartridge, or caliber.

javven
March 20, 2010, 12:55 AM
If you are or know (and trust with your life) a handloader, there is reduced data out there. My 7MM RM shoots a load I started from commercial data and adapted to my rifle (making very slight changes from starting load). Result? Duplicates 7MM Waters velocity at the muzzle and recoil is very manageable - an excellent deer cartridge.

I own 2 7 mags and consider myself fully prepared for any centerfire rifle hunt in the lower 48 states.