PDA

View Full Version : cleaning rod w/AKM

tightgrouper
February 2, 2010, 03:47 PM
Is the cleaning rod that comes with the AK rifles okay to use with those with the chrome-lined bore?

Of course, it comes with the rifle. It's made striclty for that rifle. Made out of the same metal, so it should be fine. Then, the chrome lining is more protection, so I figure my question borders on the stupid questions list. But, I just want to get some feedback on the chrome lining, and that cleaning rod.

"Clean bore without concern"?..or "be careful on scraping against that bore"?

XLT
February 2, 2010, 04:21 PM
No one I have ever run into uses the original steel cleaning rods, except to pick mud out of their boots...

spend a couple bucks for any aluminum or brass cleaning rod and don't worry about it at all...

tightgrouper
February 2, 2010, 05:15 PM
roger that.
I actually used that cleaning rod for the initial cleaning when I bought it.

I'll use my usual rifle cleaning rod & kit for future cleanings.

I appreciate the reply.

Dfariswheel
February 2, 2010, 09:32 PM
No brass or aluminum rods, and no screw-together rods.
All these can damage muzzles and bores.

Best to buy a decent one-piece stainless steel or coated rod to fit your rifle, and buy a cone-shaped brass or plastic muzzled guide.

You "can" clean safely with the issue AK steel rod as long as you PULL it through the bore and guide it carefully so it doesn't rub the muzzle.
If you push any rod through a bore it flexes and can rub the rifling. Pulling eliminates this.

LukeA
February 2, 2010, 11:21 PM
Best to buy a decent one-piece stainless steel or coated rod to fit your rifle, and buy a cone-shaped brass or plastic muzzled guide.

You "can" clean safely with the issue AK steel rod as long as you PULL it through the bore and guide it carefully so it doesn't rub the muzzle.
If you push any rod through a bore it flexes and can rub the rifling. Pulling eliminates this.

Bullets going through the bore must be hell on it then. Are you having trouble getting the spec'ed 15-20 rounds out of a barrel?

I'm not sure why you consider a harder steel rod better than a much softer brass or aluminum rod.

In any case, you will have a hard time damaging an AK bore with a cleaning rod to the point that accuracy is affected noticeably.