PDA

View Full Version : Saiga Finish?

DMK
February 2, 2010, 09:32 AM
Does anyone know what the original finish is on Saiga AK rifles?

Technosavant
February 2, 2010, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure exactly what it is; it almost seems like some black paint- it isn't quite thick enough to be powdercoat, and it isn't parkerizing or anything like that.

I do know that Duracoat adheres pretty well once you degrease the receiver, though. :D

IZZY
February 2, 2010, 12:09 PM
It's strong Russian paint.

You got a problem with dat? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUADtfRSHBg

( do you get the irony of this vid...hows your German? :D)

olyinaz
February 2, 2010, 12:32 PM
What's not to like about Rammstein playing to military clips? :cool:

Thanks!

Oly

DMK
February 2, 2010, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure exactly what it is; it almost seems like some black paint- it isn't quite thick enough to be powdercoat, and it isn't parkerizing or anything like that.

I do know that Duracoat adheres pretty well once you degrease the receiver, though. I was thinking it was paint too, but it does have a rough look to it almost like the Romanian parkerizing but thicker.

I'm mainly wondering it I should sandblast it off before Gunkoting. It looks like it would provide a good bite, but I'm not sure if it is durable enough for a base coat.

Maybe I'll try blasting it and see how it holds up. If it's difficult to blast off I'll keep it.

RockyMtnTactical
February 2, 2010, 01:44 PM
It's not a very good finish is it. Probably the biggest downside to the Saiga's. Still a great value though.

DMK
February 2, 2010, 03:42 PM
It's not a very good finish is it. Probably the biggest downside to the Saiga's. Still a great value though. I knew that going in.

Since I'm converting it to a PG format along with some other mods, I fully intended to refinish it.

It is a very nice gun for the money.

Willie D
February 2, 2010, 03:53 PM
I sprayed high temp backyard grill paint on mine after conversion and in all honesty you need to look closely to tell the difference between the patch and the original.