PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Target 10/22

cgbills
February 2, 2010, 09:17 AM
I was thinking of getting another .22. The Ruger 10/22 Tactical Target has caught my eye. Defiantly like the look and the stock. My only real apprehension is accuracy and barrel length. If I wanted the most accuracy out of a .22 would I be better served by getting a nice Savage or CZ .22 bolt gun? How does the accuracy of the 10/22 compare to CZ, Savage or just a bolt gun in general? I had a CZ 452 Lux with a 22+ inch barrel and it was amazingly accurate for a 22. That leads me to my next question. While it is a .22 and I know a longer barrel for is not as important as on a long range rifle, but do you think the short length of 16in will cause accuracy/performance to suffer?

jmr40
February 2, 2010, 10:41 AM
Everything being equal the shorter barrels are usually more accurate. They tend to be stiffer and get the bullets out of the barrel before any movements can effect the bullets direction.

Most 22's reach max velocity in around 16"-18" of barrel and will actually slow down with longer barrels. This can be an advantage in that sometimes slower bullets can be more accurate. I know those 2 statements contradict each other, but that just proves there are no hard fast rules on such things.

Your CZ will be quite a bit more accurate in most cases than a standard factory Ruger. I don't know how the heavy target barrels do on factory Rugers, but would suspect you would do a little better building the same basic rifle using aftermarket barrels. With a good setup you will probably match or exceed the accuracy of theh CZ.

sholling
February 2, 2010, 12:32 PM
+1

kraigwy
February 2, 2010, 01:09 PM
Ummmm.................what is TACTICAL about a 22?????????

Scorch
February 2, 2010, 01:35 PM
Accuracy out of a 10/22 can be quite good. I just sold my last 10/22, but it would put 5 rounds into 3/8" at 100 yds. It had a 19" barrel (don't ask why 19", I just wanted to be different), smoothed out action, and was very accurate with standard velocity ammo.

do you think the short length of 16in will cause accuracy/performance to suffer?No, accuracy will not suffer. If you were putting iron sights on it, sure, the shorter sight radius would affect it. But how many people use irons any more except 3-position shooters? And velocity will not be affected very much.

Ummmm.................what is TACTICAL about a 22???????Oh, now, come on, kraigwy, you know. Tactical, like . . . um . . . uh, well you know! Like, um, flat black!